L1801DT Clutch stuck

benpete08

Equipment
Kubota L1500
Sep 17, 2014
Ovett, MS
I've been working on this tractor off and on for a few months now and finally got it to crank last night. Now I push the clutch in and it bogs the motor down and smokes. It sat up for about 5 years in the weather so the clutch is rusted pretty bad. Whats the best way to go about freeing this thing up without splitting the tractor. I did grease the throwout bearing after I took this picture.

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You can de-rust things chemically but that is usually a bad idea with a clutch. You can try impact items like hammers and/or pneumatic hammers, basically vibrate it loose.

Speaking strictly for myself, I think I'd want to split a tractor that hasn't been running for many years just to clean it up thoroughly and make sure everything was greased and all the seals were okay or replace them if not.

benpete08

Equipment
Kubota L1500
Sep 17, 2014
Ovett, MS
Thanks, I would love to split it but right now I don't have a good work surface. Just grass and a gravel drive way.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lay out a couple of sheets of plywood and get to work. You need some solid wood cribbing and a good floor jack. You can have that tractor split, analyzed, cleaned and reassembled in a couple of days. It can't be any worse for the tractor then the last 5 years!!

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Spray the heck out of it with some PB blaster, or other penetrating oil, chain it to a tree, and see if you can get it to free itself. Oh yeah, have the pedal down when doing this...:D

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
In order to provide some advice there are some missing details in your story.
If the clutch disk is rusted/frozen to the flywheel, the obvious symptom is that you cannot shift from neutral into a gear. The fact that, as you state with the engine running and you step on the clutch, the engine bogs makes me think you have not correctly diagnosed the problem.
I dont know your particular machine but is the pto clutch activated by the main clutch pedal?
Seized release bearings, (with some designs of live pto there may be two) would seem to me to be the major part of what is wrong. When you step on the clutch pedal with the engine running you are bringing the release bearing(s) into contact with rotating parts. If the bearings are seized you now have metal to metal contact which will quickly ruin everything. A bit like a disk brake where the brake pad is completely gone.
I agree with the other forum members that it is time to fix it properly as even if you get it freed up it will want to seize again at the earliest opportunity.

Dave M7040

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
By the look of the pictures it needs to be split.
I've split many a tractor on plywood, even OSB (stick with ply over about 8 2x6's) just screw the ply sheets to the 2x6's for a real stable and strong base to work on.

Dave,
If the pressure plate is stuck, the engine will bog because you are fighting it to open the clutch. ;)

benpete08

Equipment
Kubota L1500
Sep 17, 2014
Ovett, MS
Thanks guys for all of your advice. I managed to get it in gear and after driving around the yard a bit the clutch freed itself. I probably will end up splitting it anyways and cleaning everything up and replacing the release bearing at the least.