Help me pick tires for new tractor

ngiovas

Equipment
L3560 LE
Oct 29, 2019
Clarkston, MI
OK, I have posted a couple of other questions in the other forums regarding which tractor I should buy and which options make the most sense. I have decided to get an L3650 LE, but I still need help making a final selection on the tires. Every time I talk to someone different I get a different opinion.

I can't decide between the R1 Ag Tire and the R4 Industrial tire. I will be using the tractor on 40 acres that is fully wooded. I will be clearing ground for a build site, building a drive, maintaining a road and drive. I will clear snow in the winter (northern Michigan, so lots of snow). In the early Spring after the snow has melted, there is a lot of mud. In fact, the back of my property has some fairly deep mud in early Spring. 99% of the time, I won't be driving on a lawn.

With all of that said, with all of the mud and snow, is there any reason not to get the R1 Ag tires? Many people keep telling me that they will be a problem in the woods due to the weaker sidewalls. Is this really that much of a risk vs getting stuck 1/4 - 1/2 mile into the woods? Even the dealer is telling me not to get the ag tires. For some reason, I keep thinking the ag tires are the easy choice, but now I am second-guessing myself because so many people have doubted this decision.

As a side question, regardless of the tire I select, how do I know what size wheel and tire to look for? Wheels don't seem to be sized like a car (18x10, etc.). I'm not really sure what to look for. I am trying to gauge what an extra set of wheels and tires might cost (new or used). Specs for the L3560 say rear tires are 12.4-24. Is this a 24" diameter wheel? How do I interpret this number and know what type of wheel to look for?

thanks for all of the help. Hopefully, I will be pulling the trigger on the new tractor in the next 1-2 weeks.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
When you purchase a new tractor wheels and tires are included. Simply order the tractor with the tires you choose. I'm not going into the merits of one tire over the other as I've only ever used ag tires. You may pay a few dollars more for the industrial tire version due to the difference in tire prices. Again, I have no experience.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I seen the R14s at the Farm Show, they looked nice.

Reactions: 1 user

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
I ain't gonna touch the R1 vs R4 topic with a ten foot pole. If you want to know what your other extra tires and wheels set will cost, when you talk to the salesman, have him look up the whole goods number and price for extra set of wheels and you'll know the cost.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
AG tires will give you much more traction in mud, snow, soft dirt than R4s. Before the R1, R3 and R4 became a popular way of referring to tires, they used to be known as AG tires, Turf tires and Industrial tires. R4 or Industrial tires were designed for using in industrial applications like backhoes, payloaders, and skid steers, because they had some traction but with their wide bar tread, they lasted longer and had heavier sidewalls for heavy loads. We used to take our farm tractors into the woods all the time to log, haul out firewood, and gather maple sap, without any tire problems. We ran tractors from 15hp up to 200hp for many, many years.

ngiovas

Equipment
L3560 LE
Oct 29, 2019
Clarkston, MI
When you purchase a new tractor wheels and tires are included. Simply order the tractor with the tires you choose. I'm not going into the merits of one tire over the other as I've only ever used ag tires. You may pay a few dollars more for the industrial tire version due to the difference in tire prices. Again, I have no experience.
I knew it would come with the tires I picked, but I wanted to price an extra set just in case I decide to buy something different. That had me trying to figure out how all of the wheel and tire sizing worked on a tractor.

ngiovas

Equipment
L3560 LE
Oct 29, 2019
Clarkston, MI
AG tires will give you much more traction in mud, snow, soft dirt than R4s.... We used to take our farm tractors into the woods all the time to log, haul out firewood, and gather maple sap, without any tire problems. We ran tractors from 15hp up to 200hp for many, many years.
This was what I was thinking. I just couldn't figure out why so many people were pushing me the other way. Some made the comment that the ag tires don't look right because they are narrow, but I remind them I'm buying the tractor to work - not look good. As far as tire wear, I won't put a ton of hours on the tractor each year - just on nights and weekends. I'm not greatly concerned with them wearing faster.

I know that more and more R14s are showing up, but I didn't think they were available on the L series yet (at least not standard).

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Id suggest getting the R1 tires and buy a set of front and rear euro style chains instead of a spare set of tires and wheels. If most of your work is soft stuff you will want maximum traction.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Buy both and sell the ones you don't like after experiencing them in your intended situation.

Selling a set of used tires/wheels isn't that hard or you may find a need to keep them.

With respect to tire nomenclature and overall sizes... Look up the tire specifications in the manufacture catalogs. They'll give you overall height, loaded radius, weight, load capacity, etc... This may give you a better idea of how much the R1's and R4's differ in the sizes offered on this size Kubota.

Good luck with your purchase.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I would pick the tire I want and forget the second set. The second set will sit in the corner and take up space until you decide to sell them for half what you paid for them. I think in your situation I would use R1 and hope for the best. Do they offer them in radials? Most modern ag equipment is on radials. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I wouldn't spend the $ for a second set of wheels and tires. From the use you described I would recommend the R1's. You can buy something different later if you decide you need them . But I'm guessing you won't.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
18 months ago i agonized over the same dilemma on my MX 5200. Went with R4s. They were bad in deep snow and horrible in mud or fieldwork. Last november i ordered the ag tires, sold the R4s and have enjoyed good traction ever since. Unfortunately i lost a $1000 in the process. Get the ag tires and dont look back.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
18 months ago i agonized over the same dilemma on my MX 5200. Went with R4s. They were bad in deep snow and horrible in mud or fieldwork. Last november i ordered the ag tires, sold the R4s and have enjoyed good traction ever since. Unfortunately i lost a $1000 in the process. Get the ag tires and dont look back.
+1...............

Godaddy

Equipment
m7060
Feb 5, 2020
usa
I used to have a JD 790 4x4 I bought new with AG tires on it(TITANS). Used the fire out of that little tractor in the woods from 2001 to just recently! Never did I once have a issue with them. Mud, snow, rain, it did not matter, keep getting it! My sister has a JD 3032e with r4s and it sucks in the woods when it gets muddy. They want clean their lugs out like a AG tire will. JMO

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
I have a MX5800 and was talked into R4's - and do not like them. I am in hilly and wooded country with clay soil. Further, I use ground engaging implements like discs and plows. I am actively looking to sell my 1 year old R4's. Huge regrets in buying the R4's.

ngiovas

Equipment
L3560 LE
Oct 29, 2019
Clarkston, MI
Just to follow up, I hope to pick up my tractor this week. I went with the R1 Ag tires. I will try to provide an update on how I like them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
ngiovas,

You were clear on that you already decided on R1's. I just 'piled on' in case some other person was contemplating getting R4's vs. R1's. Unfortunately, I started reading these posts AFTER the salesperson pushed me to buy the R4's.