New L3301 Odd Engine Behavior?

NESean

Equipment
2019 L3301 HST 4WD, 2008 JD 2305 HST
Aug 9, 2019
Lincoln, NE
I have 5hrs on my new L3301. At low RPMs it sounds like its going to die. When it's 3000+ it sounds ok. I don't know if it's me and being used to JD but this tractor acts a lot different. I created two videos. Not sure if it's anything to worry about....

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Check for a little bit of water in the filter cup. I know this is an easy way out but I would replace the fuel filter and if that does not fix the problem then it is time to drop it off at the dealer. It is amassing how many problems are cured with a new fuel filter.

NESean

Equipment
Aug 9, 2019
Lincoln, NE
I just emptied the fuel sediment bowl so I will give it a little bit. It did look like it needed it. We got rain before it was dropped off and it may have been the dealers supply got moisture in it. So it does sound odd?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I would stop running that thing and get it checked out. Sounds like it’s only running on two cylinders. Does that model have a fuel filter with a clear bowl that you can see? I thought the common rails had two filters but not 100% on that.

And hate to ask the question but have you fueled it in the short time you had it and sure it was diesel that was put in it?

Do not continue to run the tractor like that.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I just emptied the fuel sediment bowl so I will give it a little bit. It did look like it needed it. We got rain before it was dropped off and it may have been the dealers supply got moisture in it. So it does sound odd?
Water in fuel in a common rail engine will destroy the fuel system in short order.

NESean

Equipment
Aug 9, 2019
Lincoln, NE
I haven't added diesel to it yet. its got the dealers courtesy fill in it. I have another tractor and thankfully never committed that mistake. No error codes or warnings.

I would stop running that thing and get it checked out. Sounds like it’s only running on two cylinders. Does that model have a fuel filter with a clear bowl that you can see? I thought the common rails had two filters but not 100% on that.

And hate to ask the question but have you fueled it in the short time you had it and sure it was diesel that was put in it?

Do not continue to run the tractor like that.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I agree with everyone else, stop running it and have the dealer look at it. I have never heard my L3901DT sound anything like that.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep huge issues going on there, that sounds terrible to say the least! :eek:

No more running it, and yea if the ring in the separator was floating then it's got water in it.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
Yep huge issues going on there, that sounds terrible to say the least! :eek:

No more running it, and yea if the ring in the separator was floating then it's got water in it.
oh the joys of HPCR......... sounds like water, Gas, or some other major problem with the fuel system. that engine should run smoother than a singer sewing machine with little to no fuel knock.

NESean

Equipment
Aug 9, 2019
Lincoln, NE
oh the joys of HPCR......... sounds like water, Gas, or some other major problem with the fuel system. that engine should run smoother than a singer sewing machine with little to no fuel knock.
LOL I agree. Sounds like an old beater. I bet the fuel supply at the dealership may have been compromised with water after a recent storm before my delivery. They saw the video and said they are going to take a look at the fuel system. Hope its not ruined.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Fuel supply system is under warranty for 5 years, not that it would cheer you up any to have it out of commission while they try to fix it. At least you wouldn't be on the hook for the very expensive parts.

Keep us posted on what they do.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
LOL I agree. Sounds like an old beater. I bet the fuel supply at the dealership may have been compromised with water after a recent storm before my delivery. They saw the video and said they are going to take a look at the fuel system. Hope its not ruined.
when Cat came out with the 299DXHP track loader it had a C3.3/Kubota V3003 in the back. Cat decided it would be a good idea to use a cap just like the fuel cap and both in locations that get nasty. needless to say hyd oil in the fuel doesnt end well, high pressure fuel pump usually cracks. couldnt tell you how many pumps and injectors we replaced. the joke was "299D, death by fuel or fire".

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Fuel supply system is under warranty for 5 years, not that it would cheer you up any to have it out of commission while they try to fix it. At least you wouldn't be on the hook for the very expensive parts.

Keep us posted on what they do.
Water in fuel is grounds for a warranty denial. The only thing the OP has going for him is "Dealer supplied fuel."

NESean

Equipment
Aug 9, 2019
Lincoln, NE
Water in fuel is grounds for a warranty denial. The only thing the OP has going for him is "Dealer supplied fuel."
Yep. Good thing I didn't top it off! It's red dyed and I usually put fuel from the local pump that's highway as I have to drive a while to find a pump with off road.

They will be out this morning to pick it up. Will update when I hear more. This is so odd never had any issues like this before.

NESean

Equipment
Aug 9, 2019
Lincoln, NE
So the dealer took it and is looking at it now. It's running fine and smooth. Of course. They are hooking it up to a computer.