Political threads and posts

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Interesting comment... I don't see where the forum owner has made ONE comment about it.

Only comment is from Wolfman as a moderator. Nothing more.

In reality, you are doing the trolling of another poster's legitimate comment....... eh?

I believe you not really clear what the role of a moderator is and what they do.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Interesting comment... I don't see where the forum owner has made ONE comment about it.

Only comment is from Wolfman as a moderator. Nothing more.

In reality, you are doing the trolling of another poster's legitimate comment....... eh?
This is not up for debate!
I can't believe I'm having to come on here and defend and enforce this forum rule!

It's a forum rule and yes it's from the forum owner!

Daryl, I just didn't randomly make it up!

this Off Topic forum is not one of those "anything goes" locations on the internet.

Please keep your postings:
* free of jokes or humor which are more than PG-13 in nature
* free of racial and heavy political commentary
* free of pictures of videos which are sexual in nature, depict nudity or show violence against other human beings or animals

Mr. K

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22667

As a Moderator, I chose to be lenient on this rule, as I respect that people can have different views, and have the ability to express their views politely and non insulting to anyone else's views.
But this isn't being done, I've read way too may insulting, rude posts, that several members find it appropriate to push their viewpoint, agenda and opinion on others.
Many, way too many, can't act appropriately, so it's done.

If you don't like it, please go visit a political forum and express your views on there!

And for those that don't like the way I'm running things, vote to replace me!

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First off I am sorry for having brought something up. I should have known there are some that cannot view others view points or take information for what it is. To the managers I offer my apologies

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
It is also privately owned. If the owner says no politics, that is his right. You must not have read the forum rules when you registered. If you don't like the forum, go start up your own. You sound like another trolling key board warrior.
I respect what the owner wants and its "free of racial or heavy political commentary"
Its his site and his rules period.

The only time ive ever seen it get "Heavy" is when a person acts like a baby and throws direct insults, gets put in his/her place with facts then whines to the mods about it.

And why the name calling? Are you one of the whiners?

Last edited:

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Shame if it dies. Off topic discussions make it more of a community. Agree or not; choose to participate or not. Losing the option diminishes the whole in my view.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Shame if it dies. Off topic discussions make it more of a community. Agree or not; choose to participate or not. Losing the option diminishes the whole in my view.
This is a focused community - Orange Tractors.

Politics have turned many threads from discussions to shouting match of opinions. The I am right, you are evil stuff does not help build community.

Thanks to North Idaho Wolfman for bringing us back to the purpose of this forum.

If you want to throw opinions start with: Is my BX, your L or his M the best tractor? (And why).

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I'm new, but I don't see that we are "loosing the option". According to the OTT rules when we joined it was stated; "no political". You can't loose what you never had. Some folks "took" the option but it was never there. Off Topic simply means that it is "non-tractor", not "anything goes".

Thank You NIW for enforcing the OTT rules.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I joined this forum to enjoy "Orange Tractor" talk, having an off topic section is great for the community. I see political or religious posts or comments, I just skip over them. Some people just have to express their own "agenda" and I think the moderators are doing a great job and I see nothing wrong with them deleting posts that don't fit the aim of this forum. Thank you Wolfman for your hard, and sometimes unappreciated, work!

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
It's nice to be able to be somewhere on the internet and avoid the political crap that is literally everywhere else.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I'm still new to the site, but it is sad to see a rule like this on the forum. I fully understand NIW's position however, so I do not blame him. I would personally prefer to allow all topics in off topic so long as it remained respectful. Back when I ran my photography website, I too had off topic forums like this. I tended to always air on the side of free speech, anything goes, so long as it didn't devolve into toxic behavior. When people complained I would suggest they just not visit that particular forum - read all the other forums available. Over time the off topic forum became one of the most popular places people posted and interacted, especially the most invested members who had built relationships with other members. That was my position however and my experience. Its not right or wrong but a thing of preference. I would just throw my 2 cents behind keeping off topic as free as possible to any topic.

To those who are making comments like "yea I come here to read about tractors not this other junk" then simply live in the many other forums on the site. Thats like walking into McDonalds and complaining they dont have a ribeye steak, when the steak house is right next door. Why go into off topic then complain about off topic threads? You can totally ignore off topic entirely, and spend all day reading and discussing tractors on this site. Its all here.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm still new to the site, but it is sad to see a rule like this on the forum. I fully understand NIW's position however, so I do not blame him. I would personally prefer to allow all topics in off topic so long as it remained respectful. Back when I ran my photography website, I too had off topic forums like this. I tended to always air on the side of free speech, anything goes, so long as it didn't devolve into toxic behavior. When people complained I would suggest they just not visit that particular forum - read all the other forums available. Over time the off topic forum became one of the most popular places people posted and interacted, especially the most invested members who had built relationships with other members. That was my position however and my experience. Its not right or wrong but a thing of preference. I would just throw my 2 cents behind keeping off topic as free as possible to any topic.

To those who are making comments like "yea I come here to read about tractors not this other junk" then simply live in the many other forums on the site. Thats like walking into McDonalds and complaining they dont have a ribeye steak, when the steak house is right next door. Why go into off topic then complain about off topic threads? You can totally ignore off topic entirely, and spend all day reading and discussing tractors on this site. Its all here.
I highlighted in red the reasons I had to put my foot down.

Several were not being respectful or polite

Too many times it became toxic to fast!

It wasn't staying in just Off Topic, it was spilling over into all different areas and threads causing many to get tired of it.

I read about 90% of what is posted on here, and it was just getting to be to many threads / posts and too many complaint's.

I have too many other things to do than to take care of a bunch of bickering over which character like Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Sylvester, or Tweety was doing their job right this week.

You also have to be aware of our Oz, EU, and points all over members that simply don't care or want to hear or get involved in our countries toxic Political goings on.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I highlighted in red the reasons I had to put my foot down.

Several were not being respectful or polite

Too many times it became toxic to fast!

It wasn't staying in just Off Topic, it was spilling over into all different areas and threads causing many to get tired of it.

I read about 90% of what is posted on here, and it was just getting to be to many threads / posts and too many complaint's.

I have too many other things to do than to take care of a bunch of bickering over which character like Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Sylvester, or Tweety was doing their job right this week.

You also have to be aware of our Oz, EU, and points all over members that simply don't care or want to hear or get involved in our countries toxic Political goings on.
Thats why I said I totally understand your position as a moderator. Ive been there myself managing a large community like this. It became a full time job (which is why I eventually burnt out and closed it all down) I sympathize with your position here. I think my position is just I hate to see the douche bags ruin things for everyone else. I used to exercise that ban hammer to curtail it. Suspend individual members if they wouldn't knock it off, etc. But there again that's where it grew into a full time job. I can fully understand you not wanting to play babysitter, because it does get tiring.

The downside to keeping it open like that, and then policing it though is eventually you start getting accused of taking sides or having ulterior motives from people who have no clue of all the behind the scenes talking and communication that has went on, and it devolves more and more down a rabbit hole. Its a thankless job. My off topic ended up becoming VERY political/theological etc with massive threads of posts. It almost became a 2nd monster aside from the whole rest of the site which was all about photography and cameras.

I just read one thread here for the first time that likely started some of this, and It was very chippy on that thread. I just wish people could discuss politics in an intellectual manner, but that's often asking a lot form the average person. People are incredibly partisan these days, and we often live in a world of our own echo chamber's that reinforce our own world view and make us even more dug in and closed minded.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Politics, what's that? I don't know anything about politics, I just vote for DJT.......:eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I agree, Tornado. It would be nice to discuss things sensibly, there are a lot of members who have experience and knowledge to contribute and would be worth hearing from, whether one agrees in the end or not. However the meanness and nastiness of some posters is hard to take.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Like I said, you want to discuss politics with like minded individuals, come over to Smith and Wesson Forums and pull up a chair.

You don't need to own a firearm though it would be nice to own at least one Smith (I own a number of them in various calibers) but not a requirement and we discuss and dissect political stuff every day.

Having said that they aren't tolerant of snarky comments or being nasty. if you can discuss and dissect in a rational manner, please stop by. it's free just like here.

Been on there for years and actually, I get my latest news from the forum. Better than the 'mainstream media' today.

Even know a couple of the posters and mods personally, good bunch of guys and gals.

Tractor stuff is fine here. Politics not so much. Over there politics is fine, tractor stuff, not so much.:)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I think some people have lost sight of the fact that this website is owned by a Canadian company that is in the tractor business. If they don't want their site associated with controversial political rhetoric, then it is their inalienable right to restrict it.

The policy is not an infringement of anyone's right to free speech -- they are not in any way preventing you from making any statements that you want -- on your own website. Or any other site where political debates are permitted.

Anyone who thinks that this somehow contravenes their rights should familiarize themselves with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee, I never knew a Canuck Company owns the site ! Which one? I looked a bit ,only saw memerships priced in US$ .

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Boy, we have hit a new all time low on Orange Tractor Talks, when several posters want to argue about the site rules set up by Mr K many years ago. Every forum on the web has their own set of rules. If you join a forum, it is your responsibility to read them and understand them to participate. If you choose not to read them, you can not come back later on and claim ignorance of the rules and expect that you will get a free pass. Man up and accept some personal responsibility and follow the established rules by the forum’s owner or choose to leave if you do not like them. NOW, lets talk Orange!!!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Boy, we have hit a new all time low on Orange Tractor Talks, when several posters want to argue about the site rules set up by Mr K many years ago. Every forum on the web has their own set of rules. If you join a forum, it is your responsibility to read them and understand them to participate. If you choose not to read them, you can not come back later on and claim ignorance of the rules and expect that you will get a free pass. Man up and accept some personal responsibility and follow the established rules by the forum***8217;s owner or choose to leave if you do not like them. NOW, lets talk Orange!!!
Owner says "free of racial or HEAVY POLITICAL COMMENTARY" according to the post by NIW.

And who are you to school us on anything?

Here is your recent HEAVY POLITICAL COMMENTARY in another thread.

Well, when the president is in bed with the Russians and nobody wants to do anything about it, what do you expect?
Thats the kind of commentary im guessing the owner was trying to avoid. Thanks for ruining it for everyone.

Last edited: