Made myself a pallet fork attachment

slevys95

Equipment
B1750, BX2370/wmid60" deck,loader,brushhog,backblade,3pt rear snowblower
Sep 21, 2017
Western NYS
Nice work on forks. I'm in the process of fabrication of a set of bucket forks also for my bx2370 with fixed FEL. While at junk yard looking for scrap metal to practice some welding I tripped over an old set of skid steer forks. Asked what yard wanted and he said $10. Needless to say they ended up in my truck. I'm still thinking through mounting but think I have a solution that will be a fairly quick on and off. . Welded short length of tube on back of forks to slide a 1inch bar through and I'm going to weld side plates on bucket edges with drilled 1-1/8 inch holes to slide bars through. I am sliding 2nd 1 inch bar in front of top of forks to receive stress on bucket cutting edge. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated as I haven't welded side plates on yet. Attached are some pictures. Of course I hope to do a paint job, probably mostly to cover my amateur welds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blueice

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 24, 2017
Rockford
AL A
Forks look really good but I got couple of questions,
how long and high are you forks, and do you think taper would be more user friendly on top side?
Thanks, Blueice.

AL A

Equipment
BX1880
Aug 25, 2019
Dracut Massachusetts, USA
A bit of follow up on this project:

After using these for a while it became obvious that I should have bought the version of the SSQA plate that has the center part cut out. With the forks level, I could not quite see the ends of the forks. I found this annoying and a bit limiting at times.

So I borrowed a plasma cutter and after outlining the open space in the SSQA mount, cut it out. With some grinding and welding a few oops cuts closed it now has viewing ports. After repainting and reassembly I can now see what I am doing.

After cutting and some grinding and welding:

plate1.jpg

After a coat of paint:

plate2.jpg

Reassembled:

plate3.jpg

View from the drivers seat:

plate4.jpg

So now I can see what I'm doing, at least most of the time!

Reactions: 1 user

AL A

Equipment
BX1880
Aug 25, 2019
Dracut Massachusetts, USA
AL A
Forks look really good but I got couple of questions,
how long and high are you forks, and do you think taper would be more user friendly on top side?
Thanks, Blueice.

My apologies, i somehow missed you reply here:

I have found the taper on the bottom to be OK, I think it's a 50/50 sort of thing. There are times when having it on the top would be an advantage. I find this arrangement works well for getting the points under something then rolling the forks back while pushing forward. I guess you just get used to whatever setup you have.

Edited to add: Forks are 36" long and are made from 2"x3" 3/16" wall square tubing.

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Those are beautiful, and for sure, their low weight is what really differentiates them in the market.

We'd be interested in reselling them on our web-site at bottomlessbucketstore.com. If you have don't have time to do the fabrication of them in high volume, we have our own fabricators that could take your design and fabricate the forks, and we also have the powder coaters at our disposal to paint them up.

We would pay you a sizable commission on each one we sell.

Reach out to me if this is of interest to you (phil_tympanick@bottomlessbucketstore.com).
already on the market, ~$600, identical to the ones sold by Earth & Turf in New Holland PA; box frame, weight rated 1200 pounds, weigh 110 pounds.

1655156340436.png

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I wouldn't say that's the same. I suspect the forks mounted on round bar are a lot easier to shift side to side since the ones that hook at top and bottom always seem to get 'stuck' and you have to 'walk' them across the fork carriage rather than sliding. On the other hand, forks attached at the bottom are able to be used for 'off label unapproved uses' such as stabbing into dirt (probably a bad idea with some this light) and able to push down on things.

A variety of options is always nice.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Got myself a BX1880 recently. Part of the reason for getting it was for a retaining wall project I've had in mind for years. That will involve moving a fair amount or rocks and granite blocks around and a set of forks seemed a good tool for that part of the job.

I looked at a bunch of attachments, but most that I found seemed to be rated for 2-3000 pounds or more and weighed in at close to 200# just for the attachment, some even apporaching 300. That would eat up almost a third or more of my little tractors lift capacity. So I decided to try fabricating a set.

This is the result. I bought the QA plate as I could not buy the steel for what a prefab one cost, and it has all of the fiddly parts done for me already. The forks are 2"x3"x 3/16 wall tube. A friend had made a similar set and actually did the calculations on the sizes of the tubes, etc (he's a mechanical engineer by trade) so I have confidence in the basic design.

They weigh in at just about 115 pounds total, so a significant weight savings. I've tested them to the point where my hydraulics limit out with no sign of any trauma to them so that's good. Overall cost was about $230 so long as I count my time as free and before I bought paint. Not 100% perfect, but I'm pretty happy with how they came out.

Look great, nice job

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nice work on forks. I'm in the process of fabrication of a set of bucket forks also for my bx2370 with fixed FEL. While at junk yard looking for scrap metal to practice some welding I tripped over an old set of skid steer forks. Asked what yard wanted and he said $10. Needless to say they ended up in my truck. I'm still thinking through mounting but think I have a solution that will be a fairly quick on and off. . Welded short length of tube on back of forks to slide a 1inch bar through and I'm going to weld side plates on bucket edges with drilled 1-1/8 inch holes to slide bars through. I am sliding 2nd 1 inch bar in front of top of forks to receive stress on bucket cutting edge. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated as I haven't welded side plates on yet. Attached are some pictures. Of course I hope to do a paint job, probably mostly to cover my amateur welds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I am certain that these forks will work just fine, but you now have the parasitic weight of the bucket, and the forks, plus the extra lifting distance from the loader pins.
These issues contribute to a significantly reduced lifting capacity.

I had a similar arrangement on my Ford 3400, with 2000 lb. loader capacity.
Could only lift 1,000 lbs with forks on front of bucket.

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
I "made myself a set of pallet forks" so I thought I'd add it to this thread.

I ordered a quick attach back plate from Titan Pallet Forks for $149.

I had an old set of forks from a previous tractor.

I cut out several brackets and used some 3" x 3" angle for the bottom runner. Scrap for the gussets here and there.

I wanted to pass along several things I learned. One, my loader arms were not square, likely due to some hard use of the bucket. So, had I attached everything just by measurement, my forks would have been uneven. Level your forks, then weld you brackets.

Second, make sure to remember you will need some curl left when the forks slide under the load. In one of the pictures below, you can see I left about an inch of exposed cylinder to give me some tilt.
20220709_131812.jpg

20220713_184805.jpg

Tilt to adjust width between the forks
20220713_184826.jpg

See the exposed cylinder still left to curl the forks up from level. That is critical to take into account before welding anything.

20220713_184857.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice. Looks like you have the material, tools and skill so why did you spend $149 for the quick attach plate? Would not have taken much to build the whole setup.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
those are awesome!!! i got a cheap set of home made ones that were designed to fit a 3pt or an ALO QA. i modified them to fit SSQA, they are so light i can pick them up and move them by hand. They are fixed width though which can sometimes be an issue. I can now pick up logs that i couldnt even curl with the heavy grapple.

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
Nice. Looks like you have the material, tools and skill so why did you spend $149 for the quick attach plate? Would not have taken much to build the whole setup.
You're right, I have a CNC table for my plasma cutter and can make some stuff. So, I could have made it all. But, I actually ordered the set with a solid backing plate, which would have been 48" x 18", at 3/8" . That's roughly $75 plus time/fuel. I figured that amount plus the additional for sides and bottom plates, plus the time to make it, I was really only spending maybe $50 to have them make it.

However,...they sent me the wrong part. I got the one with the open back, much less steel. So, they refunded some money and I added some bracing.

I am going to add some attachment points on the end brackets and rig up a gin pole next, so I still have some fun fab work ahead!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Wish I had looked into weight when I purchased mine with the tractor. I could have used more lifting power!