Can I to add a Tachometer to B-7100

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Is it possible to add a Tachometer to a old B-7100.

I know that it was not a Kubota option on this model, but is there a gauge that will work? Has anyone added a tach to their B-7100? If so how did you do it...

Thanks, Dan

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
WOW checked out the link - very cool. Thanks Bota7800.

Has anyone tried the diesel version of the "Tiny-Tach" on a B7100? Just wondering what they thought about it, the accuracy, etc. What size, fuel injection line transducer, did you use for the B7100-DT ?

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Hey, thanks for your the response... I guess I'm getting confused and hung up on the mfg. directions. Maybe it's just me... It states:

"Install Transducer. If there is paint on the injection line, remove by scraping or sand papering a narrow section of line so that the inside diameter of the transducer will make direct metal contact with the fuel line. "

I will have to check again today, but I believe that the fuel line is a rubber hose at that point, from the fuel pump to the injection pump. It is stating that it needs metal contact. Am I missing something here?

The only metal injection line I see is on the three independent fuel pipes that come out of the injection pump and go directly to each cylinder. I'm thinking that I need to be on the injection line for all three cylinders to detect the fuel pulses properly.

Guess the real question is: Is there some place to attach the transducer on the B7100, to detect the fuel pulses ?

Has anyone installed the Tiny-Tach on a B7100. I love the idea, just need to know that it will work on this model engine.

Thanks for your input OrangeRidge & bota7800... This is really helping me think this out and ask the question in a different way. :)

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
It looks like they have designed the gas model to attach to a single spark plug, so you get the correct rpm without having to have 1-2-4-5-6-8 cylinder switch on it. One pulse equals 2 revs on a 4-stroke.
Seems like the diesel unit works the same way, so you would put the sender unit on any one of the 2 3 or 4 injector lines. Proof for that would be if they just include one sending unit regardless of engine code - Z, D, V.

This is my take on the system - i guess a phone call would be in order.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Hi Vic thanks for your reply. I just want to say Thank You for the great site you & Mr. K have created !!!

I'm wondering if my B7100 has the same setup as your photo. I have attached the best photo I could get with the side cover & hood in the way.

From what I can tell, I'm thinking that it does not have the setup for the tach. Maybe the tractor was not equiped back in the day when it was built

I believe it was built around 1980.
I have a chassis serial #: B7001-70xxx

Maybe I'm messing up by not using the full model number. I believe it is actually referred to as a B7100D.

Can you tell from my photo, if it is possible to add the factory tach.

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks Vic. I'll wait to see what responses we get from the photos request you posted.

I also need to check the B7100 again, as it has an 12 volt, hour meter, that I believe is wired to the key switch, and is mounted on the left side of the dash, that I always thought was factory issue. Maybe I have the optional hour meter. I will now look closer to see what brand it is & to see if it looks like part of the factory wiring harness.

I do see where the cover plate is located for the tach drive unit, from your picture & the picture I took. Still hoping to add some type of tach to her.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
The 'optional' factory hour meter for the B-7100 was a 12V powered and counted up accumulated operating hours only and did not register engine RPM's.

Your B-7100's engine should have a cover plate bolted to the front of the engine, covering the location where a Kubota Tach Drive Unit (67111-58810 and it's gasket 15221-88130) could be mounted.

The correct cable driven hour meter that will fit your B-7100 is part # 67800-55400, spacer # 67800-55420, and the cable is part # 67800-55410.

Now here's the thing I don't know.

I don't know if the factory 'cable driven' hour meter has a tach needle that wil register engine rpms like the oval shaped early L-Series tractors had.

Those meters registered engine rpm's and also racked up accumulated engine operating hours. Many showed a mark on the tach scale indicating the correct engine rpm for running the PTO at 540 speed.

To confound things even further, my own B-6200DT is fitted with the factory tach drive unit on the engine, has no tach cable, and on the dash it is fitted with a factory 12V Kubota hour meter!

Can anyone upload a picture of a cable driven hour meter from their B-42/52/62/72/82/9200??

View attachment 2845

The tach drive units on the 3 cylinder B Series engines were all the same.
Vic,
I ran some of the #'s and they are showing discontinued....
Can you get these parts?
If so how much?
Thanks,
KC

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Kubota has just upgraded the hour meter part number, it is now part# 67800-55402 and is an active stocking part.

Spacer part number is correct as previously shown and is also active and stocking. The tach cable part number is correct as previously shown, and is also an active part, stocking and available from Kubota. Not sure why it would be showing discontinued at your dealer because it is not.
Vic, Golden Eagle shows the parts for about $110 plus shipping:

spacer, http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345869

cable, http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345868

meter, http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345867

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Unless you already have it mounted to your engine you need the drive and the gasket as well. About another 48 bucks.

Does anyone know if that updated part number is both Tach and Hour Meter? Description if vague on the site.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered all the parts to add the tach/Hr meter to my early B7100. I picked them up today from my local Kubota dealer. Do have a few questions though.

1. Is the tach drive lubed from the engine or does the tab need some form of grease?

2. Does the cable need to be lubed before install?

3. Is there a particular route the cable should be run in, except away from exhaust?

thx, will report results

kytim

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I have no answers for you, but would like pics after you install and to know the total cost and hours to complete.

Thanks

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered all the parts to add the tach/Hr meter to my early B7100. I picked them up today from my local Kubota dealer. Do have a few questions though.

1. Is the tach drive lubed from the engine or does the tab need some form of grease?

2. Does the cable need to be lubed before install?

3. Is there a particular route the cable should be run in, except away from exhaust?

thx, will report results

kytim
I am planning on ordering, so it does come with a tach, right?
Photos of install or even just parts would be stellar.
KC

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
the tach and hr meter is "ONE" dash mounted unit. be sure to get the spacer too so it will tighten up in the hole. when I get to feeling a little better, rainy weather makes me hurt all over. "fibromyalgia"

Install seems straight forward enough. I just have to remove the dash I replaced last week again.

to answer someones earlier question parts were about $225.

will keep informed. kytim

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Well it works! the install is fairly simple. if you have ever changed a intake or timimg chain on a small block chevy you can do it in your sleep!

I was surprised the drive points downward. just didn't think about it pointing some other way. just remember a 1/4" wrench will slip between the block and drive to help align the slot and tab.

don't forget to remove the side cover, breather and 1 bolt that holds the rad on. that one bolt will give you a great deal of clearance to get a ratchet in there and to clean the old gasket material off.

I did drill a hole with a 1" hole saw in the firewall to allow the cable to pass directly between the batt and tank.

that hole gave me a bit of slack, the cable just is long enough to reach the tach head.

all works and looks good in the dash. it took me a while longer because I also changed the dash tin out added a ROPS replaced a tube in a front tire and only worked after the baby went to sleep and I could get my oldest daughter to watch after her.

after consideration of the install i LIKE IT!!!

kytim

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for a great thread guys but i do have a question guys.
I tried to order the same parts today over here in the UK without success, kubota uk say they have no part number for this fitting to a B7100 for european markets. The tacho, cable and spacer do show on the parts list but they say the drive assembly that goes on the engine is not and never was an option for the B7100 in europe.
They said the nearest part is off a B20, whatever a b20 is.
Can anyone help me resolve this issue as i am very keen to install this on my kubota.
any part numbers to assist me would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
rob

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I ordered a drive for a B8200. the problem I have had is locating a cable to use. I ordered a cable per SDVic's reccommendation and it is short. it just wont reach. if you find a cable I would sure love to know the number so I can order one. an extra 3-4 inches ( 100mm) would be perfect. So....

Kytim