Leaving box scraper installed all the time

blwn31

Equipment
B20
Jul 6, 2010
Placerville, CA
I was wondering if leaving the box scraper on all the time is bad for anything. I am using my tractor for lots of FEL work but, I have to go down a pretty steep grade with the loader bucket full. I like the extra weight on the back of the tractor for balance. I haven't tried to run the route without the box scraper installed. Currently I have 200lbs hanging on the box scraper. The tractor seems light in the rear when I first go over the crest on down the hill. The tires are already filled with some kind of compound (red like rasberry color fluid). If it is I could back down the hill but, that would be a major slow way for me to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Keith:confused:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Leaving the box scraper on won't do any damage. Tractors are made for such things. Just lower it to the ground when shutting down the tractor.

It sounds like you could use even more ballast on the 3PH from your description. There are many ways to build or create a special ballast that will serve your purpose. They tend to be more compact than a box scraper so maneuvering is easier.

Do a search on this site for "ballast" and on other tractor sites as well. Some people are very creative.

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
a dusty ditto on GWD!

Pull that box scraper off and you will be sucking your pants through your cheeks very fast if you are using the fel.

B7510

Equipment
B7510 HST
Apr 29, 2009
Ontario
You can use your "BS" (Box Scraper) for a counter balance or load a 3ph mounted weight box full of "BS" (you get the idea) :) of the same or similar weight to do the same or similar job. If you have lots of manoeuvering room stick with the Box Scraper an you won't have an added expense. If you are worried about "space" as you work the fell, replace the Box Scraper with a compact 3ph weight box and fill it with "BS" :D or whatever.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I always use a implement for a counter weight when doing loader work and 9 times out of 10 my choice is the box scrape. It hang close to the tractor and is heavy enough for about everthing.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Interesting counter weight in the second pic. I would like a better look at the hyd lift and top link on that tractor. Don't hold out on us now, we need some pics of that sweet looking setup.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Interesting counter weight in the second pic. I would like a better look at the hyd lift and top link on that tractor. Don't hold out on us now, we need some pics of that sweet looking setup.
The Top & Tilt has been used much more than anticipated. It is especially useful when plowing or scraping. Adjusting other 3 PH attachments to suit the job is a breeze.

The Top & Tilt is simply a Gearmore product. This site won't upload .pdf files or the information would be sent.

In the link below, the right side of the page near the end has a link to the Top & Tilt .pdf file.

http://www.gearmore.com/products.html

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I can see where that would be very handy. I'm assuming that the 3pt will work like normal plus you will have down pressure when needed. Is that how it works or do you raise the 3pt with the new cylinders now?

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I have a top 'n tilt kit of my L35. I use it with practically every 3pt piece of equipment I have, even the mower. Mine does not apply down pressure because of the way the lift arms work. I also found without any weight of the back of the tractor (even w/ tires filled w/ fluid), the FEL will lift more than my butt will hold down. I had an exiting ride one day. I then made my counterweight with a 55 gallon drum and filled it with concrete. It made a huge difference.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I can see where that would be very handy. I'm assuming that the 3pt will work like normal plus you will have down pressure when needed. Is that how it works or do you raise the 3pt with the new cylinders now?
The tractor's 3 PH works just like normal. The hydraulic top link only shortens or lengthens the top of the implement like manually adjusting it with a standard top link. An extra advantage is that by retracting the top link the implement can be lifted especially high off of the ground. It does not exert down pressure since lengthening the link does not affect the lower arms' characteristic to float.

The "Tilt" portion works like it sounds. It shortens or lengthens one lift arm link to lower or raise one side of the implement. This adjustment is critical for plowing. The first pass is made with the plow level and then progressive passes are made with the wheels on one side in a ditch so to make the plow level it has to be adjusted. A flat running plow is a joy to observe working.

With a box scraper or blade the adjustments can be made on the fly for the exact amount of cut or ditching or both. Very convenient. If grading a road it would seem to be a requirement to have a T & T unless climbing on and off of the tractor to make fine adjustments is enjoyable.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks for that thurough walk thru. I have seen the hyd top link many times but I have never seen a set up like yours. I like the way that sounds. Just out of curiousity if you don't mind, How much did that setup cost and does it come in a complete kit?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thanks for that thurough walk thru. I have seen the hyd top link many times but I have never seen a set up like yours. I like the way that sounds. Just out of curiousity if you don't mind, How much did that setup cost and does it come in a complete kit?
To continue the hijack....

Each Cat 2 cylinder runs about $370, custom hoses $35 ea., Kubota additional valves $!50 ea. The total comes in somewhere around $1100 if installed by a dealer as mine was when the tractor was purchased. I may have gotten a deal or skinned - doesn't matter to me given the price of the tractor and the advantage of warrantied work.

If you are handy with hydraulics and can have the hoses locally built it may be able to be done for much less. Cat 1 cylinders also may be less expensive.