What do you use for a welder?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here we go! Fresh outta the box!!:p
That's a pretty sweet and versatile machine. You should be really happy with it. You'll be inventing and making up projects just to use it :D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Wat???
Dont Need no tv on a welder!! Never gonna get any work done playin with it.
Are you sure we were looking at welders? No rust, no dust, no weld splatter...More shine then my tractor when it was new.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Gas weld and braze for a lot of stuff. Victor torches in various sizes: big nut and little nut and assorted tips. All the way down to tiny HVAC torches for fine work.

Started arc with old Miller BlueStar from late '70's with 16-hp Tecumseh engine. That little guy ran when nothing else would and helped us survive couple ice storms using hotplates. Had 3,000-watts aux power output. Sold it about ten years ago for $800 to kid to build a sandrail.

Upgraded to Lincoln (one of the several Ranger models) with all the bells and whistles and 12,000-watts aux power. Remote control, MIG and TIG capability, infinite arc and arc 'softness-crispness' settings. Mounted on wheeled cart with lifting lug. Got it off a Lincoln corporate showroom floor at a bargain. Never failed until mouse chewed fuel line once. Keep it on battery float constantly.

Miller MIG. Later model but don't remember the model number. Nice lash-up. Use it with 0.030 flux core wire and gas together and get great welds. Only thing I can't figure is why they left the lifting lug off the top. Have to stab it with forks to get it onto truck (driven by Lincoln) if want to use two MIGs in field.

Through a series of trades wound up with Lincoln cracker box AC-DC 225-Amp tombstone welder. Honestly it gets used around the shop more than any of the others. Older, with true copper windings throughout. Weighs a ton. Sits on an HF $7 on sale furniture mover.

Use Tweco quick-connects on all cables and leads so can stretch out to wherever is needed.

Also got 50-A pedestals all around the place so never too far from power. Use same break-out boxes with pedestals and also from engine-driven Lincoln when in the field for drills and grinders and whatever.

Auto-dark hoods are the way to go.

For a while for some reason RV-type 50-A cord sets were popping up at auctions for nothing: rarely paid more than $25 for 50-ft cable and have one 100-ft somebody dumped. Hugely heavy but handy for that bit of extra stretch.

Completely self-taught through oilfield until spouse and I together took evening classes at local vo-tech. Same training as at commercial welding school but for just hundred bucks each (three hours a night twice a week for four months just welding anything and everything). Learned a lot. Helps to have two capable welders depending on what we're doing. She's got a better weave in her hand than I do and can see better to boot. "Here, Hon, stick this together for me."

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Victor torches large and small (forget the models) for gas welding/brazing/soldering (and cutting/heating). Miller 175 for day to day MIG needs. Syncrowave 351 for heavy stick and TIG.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did my first bead with the Lincoln 210 MP. My first trip with a MIG.

Started okay, could use improvements, but went to crap.

It did burn through well.

Got better with next few beads.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did my first bead with the Lincoln 210 MP. My first trip with a MIG.

Started okay, could use improvements, but went to crap.

It did burn through well.

Got better with next few beads.
Slow down a touch, and use a circular pattern overlapping about a third of the puddle when starting out and getting used to it. :) and position yourself where you can get a good view of the puddle :) you can work on a weave pattern later ;) get yourself some nozzel gel since your using a mig, if they didn't reccomend it when you got it. It helps prolong the tip, and keeps the slag from building up in it. :D
If you have the cheat sheet for settings, make sure and reference it. It will get you in close. I use a little key chain gauge for checking material thickness. It helps tremendously. After you get used to it, you can fine tune the settings for your technique. Keep it up, you'll get the hang of it :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren -

Thanks - I got better.

I may be looking for more advice as I use it more.:p:p

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - this is an inverter, doesn't draw a ton of juice. 15A at 110, and 14.7 at 220.

I only have 110 in the garage.

Thinking of trying it on my 5500/8250 (start) generator. Some stuff I saw says its generator compatible......

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have no clue on using one with a generator. They should have ratings for the 110 volt and the thickness of metal it will work up to. I think it's either 3/16 to 1/4 inch. Are you using flux core wire, or steel with gas? :) what size wire are you using :)

Last edited:

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I learned to weld watching my next older brother on dad's old Fourney then
practicing on my own then forced into doing it more often welding drill stem pipe, ears for the slip coupler and the "boxings" which are the male and female ends. That was done with the all to familiar Lincoln 225 tombstone
welder that are common and can be bought on Craigslist nearly any day of the week in every part of the country for $125.00. I've had one for over 35 years and all 3 of my boys learned to weld with it too. A dozen years ago I picked up a Miller 200 mig welder complete with an aluminum spool gun
for $800.00 and personally have never used it. My youngest is an awesome
welder can do it all so I learned to delegate unless he's not around the I do
what I gotta do. He's scoffed at several things I've built over the years at
my sometimes not to pretty welds, but he has a bunch of respect now as he
hasn't managed to destroy anything I've welded together and he's the type that can break anything he touches LOL!
Just make sure whatever you do that the power source is good with heavy enough wire to handle the current draw whether it's 110 or 220. I've seen many air compressors and battery chargers smoked because they used a light extension cord that caused a meltdown of the unit.
Al

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Are you using flux core wire, or steel with gas? :) what size wire are you using :)
Right now using 0.025 with gas. (Sample roll that came with the welder)

I intend to go to 0.030 with gas. Seems to be the common wire.:cool:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I use the 030 in mine, buts it's flux core, so the metal in it is around .020 ish :rolleyes: I use 035 with argon/co2 mix at work with the miller 252. But we have a 220 hook up for it. That miller is a Cadillac compared to what I have at the house :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not great - but I think getting better. Some of the "skips" were on purpose - just learning...

Just 1/8" with 110v. 0.025 wire with gas.

Attachments