Radiator overflow whistle

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
A word of warning for those of us that have the older Kubotas with the whistle on the radiator overflow tube. Clean them out occassionally.

Last week I was mowing around the fence in my pasture with my L175, and started smelling antifreeze-- I looked at the overflow and where it drips on the front axle, everything was dry. I went about ten more feet and saw a small puff of steam from under the right side of the hood. With that sinking UH OH feeling I lifted the hood and saw a bit of wetness at the radiator cap. Nothing ruined, so I put it in the barn to cool down before working on it.

Checked the water today before starting and the level is normal, so I drove over to the handy shadetree. The rubber tube was fine, the metal whistle had about half an inch of gunk in it. Once I worked all the crap out with a wire and brake cleaner, you can play a tune on it.

The only thing I can think of is that a lot of stuff got blown into the overflow when I cleaned the radiator about 1 1/2 years ago and finally worked its way to the end to plug the outlet. I am going to drain the antifreeze and reclean the cooling system just for piece of mind, as soon as I get a chance. It won't be tomorrow; the daughter's car suddenly sprang a vacuum leak :eek: at least she called me before driving it :).

The only time I have heard the whistle was when the lower hose burst, but why take chances?

Robert

steve

Equipment
B7100HST, B5001DT/B5100DT, JD-111H, Chevy K2500 DuraMax, CJ-5, CJ-7, TJ jeeps
Feb 17, 2009
Henniker. NH, USA
Vic
What is the part number on the whistle decal? :)
Steve

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Now I know where to stick all those dash stickers when I get around to ordering them. Thanks Vic!

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
Great advice and a good service tip. Kubota missed the mark when they printed the white and black warning decal that accompanied models with that whistle. It should have said:

"If you hear a whistle sound while operating your Kubota tractor it means you haven't been checking the radiator each day prior to using it. Keep ignoring it and you'll soon hear the distinctive 'ringing' noise of the cash register as you make the purchase of a new cylinder head at your local Kubota dealers parts department"

View attachment 5415
The whistle on my B7100 has saved me big dollars over the years. Dumb question, but how do I get at it to it, for cleaning.

thespanishfarmer

Equipment
L1501 with rotavator and brush cutter
Apr 28, 2012
Cocentaina - Spain
I have a L185 with the whistle incorporated in the radiator cap. Does this need the same type of cleaning as to look at it, it seems fine.
Or to put it another way, how do I test it to see if it is actually working.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The whistle on my B7100 has saved me big dollars over the years. Dumb question, but how do I get at it to it, for cleaning.
I have seen a whistle in the radiator overflow tube of a B6100, but my B7100 does not have one...... I wonder if they are still available? Vic?

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO

I have a L185 with the whistle incorporated in the radiator cap. Does this need the same type of cleaning as to look at it, it seems fine.
Or to put it another way, how do I test it to see if it is actually working.
Mine is mounted low on the left side of the radiator, at the end of the rubber overflow tube from the filler neck. One small bolt with a 10mm head is all that held it on, the rubber tube just slips on it with no clamp.

If you take it off, you should be able to blow through it easily; mine also looked okay from the outside, but it wouldn't pass anything internally. It has a fairly high pitch when using lung power.

I used a soft piece of wire then a section of frayed cable to pull the gunk out with, and I flushed it with brake cleaner (nothing special about the brake cleaner, I had a partial can on hand), until it ws clear.

It takes about two minutes to take it of and check, including finding the right tools. I think I spent more time finding something to fit inside than I did actually cleaning it.

Robert

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Gee and I thought that ment the nuts were done,,,:D

steve

Equipment
B7100HST, B5001DT/B5100DT, JD-111H, Chevy K2500 DuraMax, CJ-5, CJ-7, TJ jeeps
Feb 17, 2009
Henniker. NH, USA
My 1983 B7100 HST has one that is mounted on the right side of the frame just to the rear of the radiator. Follow the overflow tube to it. It's listed as "whistle steam" part # 66204-58750 list price $89.85. 2-5 day order delay thru Coleman Equipment. Keller Bros and Messicks don't show the part as available on there web site so you would have to call them to check if they could get it. I'm sure Vic can get you one. As cool as the whistle is you could rig up a good mechanical gauge for less money.
Steve:)

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
New Item # 15021-72040

WHISTLE

$20.15

2-5 Day Lead Time
This is what I got for the L175 on Coleman's website.

I agree with Steve, the whistle is kind of neat, but I don't think I will be retrofitting one to any other piece of eqipment I own. I would rather put on a coolant recovery system, if I though it was absolutely necessary.

Let's face it, with these little tractors and no cab; if your engine is putting out enough steam to make the whistle blow, it is putting out enough steam that you should notice it anyway.

Robert

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Let's face it, with these little tractors and no cab; if your engine is putting out enough steam to make the whistle blow, it is putting out enough steam that you should notice it anyway.
Good point.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
My B7001 doesn't seem to have ever had a whistle in it, can I get one to install?
I just put new hoses and a radiator in last year and have no leaks, but with global warming, it never hurts to plan ahead...
LOL,
KC

murky

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, WA
I have a 1987 B8200HST and of course the whistle and tube were missing when I took possession a few weeks ago.

Why do these cost $100 and the L series cost $20? What's so special about this whistle? I can buy a titanium whistle for less Kubota wants.