One of those days!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Prayers sent for your Mika Wolfman. They are like kids for sure. I lost mine almost 3 years ago. Everyone keeps asking when ill get another. I had dogs all my life, but having a hard time thinking of another one. Not sure if I want to do it again getting older Im not sure if I could keep up with another dog. I sure do miss the companionship though! Maybe I just need more time?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Leveraddict, I too am getting a little long in the tooth, and two weeks ago had to put down the black dog in my team, she was 15 and lost control of her hind legs. Since I can't lift her it had to be. Didn't want her to lose her dignity. Hard part is that she trained the other two dogs in the ways of the farm, things like you don't go through an open gate unless specifically invited. That said I sort of am keeping my eyes open for a middle aged dog that needs a home. The other two are a little old too, 11 and 12. I can't imagine not having them or others around.

The advantage to the breed I have, the Belgian Sheepdogs, is the breeders in this area are highly responsible, and if anything happens to me, they would take my two back in a heartbeat and find them homes. In fact it is written into the puppy contract that I signed when I bought them. They WANT them back. No worries about them ending up in the pound if I croak.

I look wistfully at puppy pictures my friends post, and remember how much fun a pup is, but realistically this breed is high energy and highly intelligent. If you don't take the time to do something with them and teach them things, you may not like what they do to amuse themselves. This stage lasts for at least 3 years. I am not sure I have the energy to take a pup to dog class for socialization, and to agility or herding or barn rat hunting or tracking to keep their brains engaged. So when the time comes I'll let the local Belgian rescue know I could take an older dog in.

So depending on the kind of dog you like you could put the word out either to local breed rescues or the local humane society for something that would suit your household. There are a lot of dogs out there that need homes.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I know how ya feel Sheepfarmer, my deepest condolences! :(

I probably won't ever be without a dog or wolf again, they just make life so much better all the way around.

Having 9 is fun, it's not as much trouble as most would think, in fact being pack animals they do wonderful together, even the non pack one go along with the action!

I love rescues, but it's a high risk gamble, most turn out to be wonderful, some are just too much.
I've been extremely lucky to have an excellent network of adopters that when I get one that's too much for me to keep, it certainly fits someone else's needs and desires.
Some just need to be one only and some just need different things than we can offer here.
I will say that's rare though, I can only think of 5, 4 of them were not "bad dogs / wolves" they just needed something different, one was a gift from Satan himself, that dog did everything wrong, and over and over again.
Sadly she broke out (dug a three foot long tunnel) went on a rampage and killed multiple cats, rabbits, chickens all in a span of a couple hours, she was caught killing chickens by a mean neighbor and shot.

One of my greatest rescues ever was Vixen the Wolf, RIP.
Everyone else was scared of her or just couldn't handle her, she bounced from home to home and from rescue to rescue, she was intense to say the least, we meet her and it was A OK from day one, and was a bond right away.

Vixen is still sadly missed and will always be, she was my wolf solemate, and I think I was her human one! :(

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
NIW I send you my condolences.

I am going to ask for some help. My family took in a rescue, it is a beagle / hound mix if that makes sense. It has been a year ago. He is a beautiful dog however he will not let anyone but Mountain Dew, my son, touch him. Dew even has a hard time petting him. It took nine months before he would take food from my hand sometime, but he still will not let me touch him. I have sat and watched him torture himself with the desire for food and the fear of coming near anybody. He has become house broken for the most part on a schedule. He will not give any type of indication that he needs out.

This afternoon I tried to give him a piece of pork roast and he will not come near me to get it as it lays on the floor near me. I hate to think what he has been thru. He is scared of every noise or movement made around him. He is quiet and well mannered in that he only will jump up when Dew tells him to.

Any one have any insights to gain his trust would be welcome.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
BigG, we got a dog that showed up a few years ago that apparently someone dumped. Acted somewhat like you're describing. What got the young dog (about 8 months, according to the vet) to act like a dog, was to be with another dog.

Our neighbors had a dog similar in age. There was snow on the ground about 6" deep. The neighbors dog came over (we're on 6 acres) and my dog just stood there like she didn't know what to do. Soon they were running and playing, chasing each other, rolling in the snow. I could see a difference right away. After a few more sessions like that a big change in all aspects of behavior was evident.

I think you need another dog in the pack!:D

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Totally agree with D2Cat but if that's not possible or before you make the jump try lying on the floor as close as the dog still feels comfortable and pay no attention to the dog and let him come to you but your gonna have to be patient, probably won't happen over night if ever.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
NIW hoping for good news but sending condolences if needed.

BigG I suggest you get some help from trained dog behavior experts. You may have to go through a few before you find one that knows how to help. Just because they say they are experts does not mean much. You don’t say anything about the females in the house and the dog. Sometimes the dog will bond better with a female and the becomes more confident and comfortable with the males.

Use the bond that your son has and let him take the dog on walks. You may have to walk across the street for a while and eventually get closer. As far as food enticement they learn to stay away since they got nabbed or worse by the enticement in the past. You can try to throw the food farther away and ignore the dog completely, don’t look or react. Raw chicken may be better. Eventually you will be able to get the dog comfortable with you closer but it can take days or weeks, some dogs are so damaged they take months.

You may want to look at getting the dog more exercise with walks and running it with a bicycle. I bought something called Walkie Dog that holds the dog out of harms way of the bicycles pedals and wheels to exercise one of my dogs and shed stress. But that can be difficult for the dog to adjust to.

And being around other dogs will help immensely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
We are wandering the thread, but I suspect NIW can give the best advice since he has dealt with many abused and neglected dogs. How old is your son? Can he walk the dog on a leash and do things with him? What does the dog find rewarding with him?

Some comments, somewhat hard to apply here, dogs need a respected (human) pack leader to feel safe. A good pack leader is fair and consistent. That is why adding another dog that interacts normally with a human would help. The hard thing is that he doesn't find a treat rewarding enough to teach him anything. But a reward can be anything the dog wants. You'll have to be creative.

I am concerned that if this dog is so afraid of being touched that you would have a hard time taking him to the vet. Is this the case? A really fearful dog is at risk of being a "fear biter" if cornered or put in a stressful condition. So guests in your home could get bitten if they push too hard.

Finally after your best efforts if you feel guests or your children are not safe, don't be afraid to recognize that your home is not the best place for him, and look into rehoming him.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
We are wandering the thread, but I suspect NIW can give the best advice since he has dealt with many abused and neglected dogs. How old is your son? Can he walk the dog on a leash and do things with him? What does the dog find rewarding with him?

Some comments, somewhat hard to apply here, dogs need a respected (human) pack leader to feel safe. A good pack leader is fair and consistent. That is why adding another dog that interacts normally with a human would help. The hard thing is that he doesn't find a treat rewarding enough to teach him anything. But a reward can be anything the dog wants. You'll have to be creative.

I am concerned that if this dog is so afraid of being touched that you would have a hard time taking him to the vet. Is this the case? A really fearful dog is at risk of being a "fear biter" if cornered or put in a stressful condition. So guests in your home could get bitten if they push too hard.

Finally after your best efforts if you feel guests or your children are not safe, don't be afraid to recognize that your home is not the best place for him, and look into rehoming him.
My son is 18 so yes they go to the dog park. The dog loves to shadow box with Dew and they seam to enjoy the ruff housing outside and he walks on a leash pretty well. Inside he is the most timid dog I have ever seen. I have touched him and his reaction is to pull away. I have never seen him do anything but rumble in his throat. He does not even growl like a undamaged dog. I can not rehome him, it would break my boys heart. I was just trying to learn a way to expand his pack to include everyone in the family. He is attached to my son very tightly.

I do thank all of you. I just do not have any experience with a damaged dog and reading all of your stories about your dogs made me want to ask for the help.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sounds good, I was worrying your son was like 6. Fearful dogs and small children can be a problem. Sounds like the more he can do with the dog the better since they have bonded.

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Ballhalla.jpg

They will never leave you, and they will never forget you.

Im a sentimental old sap, but I have a clear and sure vision that all of my old buddies are having a great time in some cosmic pasture somewhere, no more pain, no more sickness, no more fear; and when Im finally called home, theyll catch a scent on the wind, perk up their ears and come running over that last hill and well be together again.

When we reach that blessed homeland
Where it is everlasting days
Oh the bright eternal morning
God shall wipe all tears away

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My son is 18 so yes they go to the dog park. The dog loves to shadow box with Dew and they seam to enjoy the ruff housing outside and he walks on a leash pretty well. Inside he is the most timid dog I have ever seen. I have touched him and his reaction is to pull away. I have never seen him do anything but rumble in his throat. He does not even growl like a undamaged dog. I can not rehome him, it would break my boys heart. I was just trying to learn a way to expand his pack to include everyone in the family. He is attached to my son very tightly.

I do thank all of you. I just do not have any experience with a damaged dog and reading all of your stories about your dogs made me want to ask for the help.
Send me a PM with as much info you can give and some contact info and I'll see if I can help. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Mika lost her cancer battle today.

To say she was always a wonderful girl isn't saying anywhere near enough.

It's like a part of myself and a huge chunk of my heart has been ripped out. :(

CANCER SUCKS!

origami

Equipment
'12 BX25. Previous: '95 B1700
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
Really sorry to hear this NIW. It won't make it any easier, but I (and a whole lot of others here I guess) know the feeling.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
So sorry to hear that Sean, we feel your pain, and hope the rest of the pack helps ease her passing for you and Wendy.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mika lost her cancer battle today.

To say she was always a wonderful girl isn't saying anywhere near enough.

It's like a part of myself and a huge chunk of my heart has been ripped out. :(

CANCER SUCKS!
Yes, it does, I know all too well. Sorry about your loss. It will grieve me when we lose our two pups.

I care more bout my pups than I do for a lot of people I know.:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sorry to hear that, losing one is like losing one of the kids,,, and yeah cancer sucks