B7100 cooling system info

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Greetings All,
Does anyone out there know what pressure radiator cap is supposed to be on a B7100 the original cap had 0.9 and some Japanese writing on it. I'm afraid to just get one that appears the same for fear of over pressure and blowing hoses my local Tractor Supply store has several caps that look similar ranging from 4 Psi to 16 Psi. I'd also love to know the normal operating temp range for this model. I checked the temp with an infrared thermometer at several places top tank of radiator read 204, bottom tank read 134 degrees F. Head between injectors read 210 F. Just wondered if anyone knows if this is normal temp since I have coolant dripping from rad overflow while working the tractor. maybe a new cap would cure this if temps are normal!:confused:

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Thanks Everyone! I PM'd Vic and he confirmed that the cap should be 13PSI and he also reviewed my temps and confirmed that they were OK! So I carried my old cap to my local Autozone and they sold me a new cap for $4.95 that matched my old one. My local Kubota dealer was going to have to order one for $24.95 plus freight. I ran home topped off my radiator with 50/50 antifreeze mix and installed the new cap. I then fired her upand worked ehr for about 15 minutes once again I noticed coolant dripping from the overflow tube I assume that this is normal since I topped off the rad while it was cold and I didn't leave any expansion room so hopefully once it has expelled enough coolant to make up for expansion it will stop. I'll keep you posted!

jimtulloch

Equipment
B6200 L2402DT Slashing Mowing Blad Loader
My B7100 opeates with 13lb cap and runs at between 65 - 70 degrees celcius ( operating in Queensland Australia where daily temp is quite hot.) as this model does not have a water pump and operates on a thermosyphon system, the water level when hot would be something like 1" down. Essential to flush the radiator perodically and hose out any debris from the radiator fins. Use good quality coolant mixed 50/50. Keep the screen in front of the radiator clean. I have fitted a temp gauge to mine by soldering a socket into the radiator top tank on the right hand side to fit the electric sender switch.Prior to this I used a cooks thermometer with a 4' long flexible capillary and probe,I taped the probe on to the top of the radiator. Great little workhorse tractor.

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Update!
I worked her a short while last evening and it appears that the coolant dripping from the overflow has stopped as I suspected it would! I really like jimtulloch's idea of adding a temp sender and guage to give you a heads up if the radiator grille should become blocked instead of learning about it the hard way! Sounds like a neat mod for someone to write a how to article or post a video about! Hint Hint.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Jim Tulloch would you happen to have any photos of how you attached your temp sending unit. Would love to do this to my B7100.

Thanks, Dan

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Mr Gasket sells a rad cap with a built in thermometer. I have several and it takes the guess work out of wondering what the temp is:D

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Great idea... Thanks Kuboman. Would you know what the part number is that we need for the B7100? Did Google search. Seems that they have 6 caps for 13 PSI. Not sure which would be the correct unit.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
After more research it appears that there are actually only two 13# radiator caps to choose from. Reason for the six part numbers is they offer each of the caps in three trim colors (Red, Blue & Silver). Ya gotta love the performance & racing world...

The two actual choices of cap are Domestic or Imported. Found local parts supplier that has the Domestic in the warehouse. Should have it by the weekend. Will let you know the part number if it fits the B7100 radiator...

Dan

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
After more research it appears that there are actually only two 13# radiator caps to choose from. Reason for the six part numbers is they offer each of the caps in three trim colors (Red, Blue & Silver). Ya gotta love the performance & racing world...

The two actual choices of cap are Domestic or Imported. Found local parts supplier that has the Domestic in the warehouse. Should have it by the weekend. Will let you know the part number if it fits the B7100 radiator...

Dan
Any update? Did the cap work, and what was the # if it did?
Mark

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
B7100 Radiator cap update... The Mr Gasket Domestic cap Part Number #2470S fit perfectly, and works great. It is a 13# cap. The "S" on the part number stands for silver trim ring color.

Here is a link to Mr Gasket to the cap I'm talking about:

http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDet...ajID=300&minID=3008&selection=&minselection=3

They come in 3 trim ring colors so an "R" red, or "B" blue, in the part number will also work, just depends on which model they have avail in your area.

A dash gauge would have been ideal, but this is not a bad compromise to have an idea of your operating temp of engine. Yeah, you do have to pop the hood to check it, but, hey it works great...

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!! everyone in OTT land... :)
Dan