Dextron? in my kubota

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Guys. Isee the forum is growing quickly. Thats great. Anyway this b8200 that I bought about two months ago has dextron instead of hydraulic fluid. The hydro drive seems really strong and the loader and 3ph works well. So I guess what I'm asking is am I in trouble or is it if it ain't broke don't fix it. Any comments or help will be appreciated. Thank You.(jim)

NEIL G

Equipment
l2550,scraper blade,snowblower
Feb 22, 2009
mt forest,ont.
Just reading your question.interesting but i am more interested in your place of origin as i too am from mount forest,ont. Thats what they say--what a small world--.if you are new to this site keep coming back,it is terrific.you get quick repliesand good old fashioned advice.free. Cant find that in too many places anymore. Neil(seven bridges road)know where that is??:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Yes Neil I do know where Seven Bridges rd is. And yes I think it's great to have someone local on the forum. I'm on main across from beer store.We'll have to get together some time.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey dusty and neil, sounds like you are both from a smaller town, funny how you've met up online before running into each other at the post office.

Thanks for the compliments on the site gents, it's hard work but someone (Vic)'s gotta do it!

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Thanks for the replies Guys.I wondered about the dextron, I used to use it in big portable compressors years ago because it handles the heat better. And I wouldn't say that neil and I don't know each other we just don't know it yet. When you own orange you watch for Orange. And I only know of One orange on seven bridges. If some people in the area don't know me they do know my truck. It's on the road around here a lot. Thanks again Vic and Mr K.

Krump

Equipment
2003- L3000 DT, Allied 295 Loader, Bush Hog Rz60 Rotary Cutter
Mar 9, 2009
Whitemouth, Manitoba, Canada
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum, and new to the tractor ownership, and i just recently bought a preowned L3000 4x4 Kubota, 200 hrs on it. I dont want to screw up anything on the machine.

I have the manuals on order now, so i am wondering when your talking about this transmission fluid, this Dextron, is the the same trans fluid as a auto?? I know this may be really dumb, but we all start from somewhere!!! Help me guys??

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
What dextron is automatic transmission fluid also known as ATF, it is used in the in older automobiles, most autos today use synthetic fluid today and less of the older ATF or dextron. If you have a older Kubota hydrostatic tractor you can use it in it. a standard transmission tractor stick what Kubota recommends.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey Krump, welcome to the site and thank you for posting! You've come to the right place if you are looking for advice. Michael is right - it's just automatic transmission fluid. General Motors actually owns the name Dextron and either lets other manufacturers license that name for their own ATF product (like Petro-Canada for instance).

General Motors has used it a lot in their vehicles and they are currently on their "VI" iteration of the fluid (probably 50% actual improvement and 50% marketing mumbojumbo). :D

Priced around $15-20/gallon.

Attachments

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Michael is right atf is not for a manual trani or any other (gear)box.You have to be carefull when swapping different fluids for the original.The dealers get pretty uppity about using only their brand. And u can void your warranty on a new or nearly new machine. Bottom line get advice from people with experience when doing this stuff. Some of the older Kubotas had overheating problems with their hydrostats.Dextron runs cooler and handles the heat better. But in a newer machine I don't think there is any problems with heat other than owner abuse, not cleaning or just beating the snot out of it.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Yeh we used to use it in some of the old vane and screw compressors. Again thanks Vic. I love this forum. If my wife Dies I may want to marry this forum!!

Krump

Equipment
Mar 9, 2009
Thanks guys,

it appears i need the UDT super, but can anything else be used say Esso or others, if i drain it all out?? yes its for my trans and hydraulics, so i guess its in the one place, Do i fill it in the back the the pto, or between the feet on the floorboards???. Warranty if off, but i dont want to damage it by using other brands. Its the dealer is over 200 km one way, just trying to cheap out and save the trip, advise.

Krump

Equipment
Mar 9, 2009
Good Morning

Thanks for the reply, i got er all straight now, with my oil needs. This forum is great for me and everyone, i am getting addicted reading about all the interesting info.

Hey Vic, the weather is warming to to plus 2 here in my area, i better get out and get her greased up.

B7510

Equipment
B7510 HST
Apr 29, 2009
Ontario
Gee guys this is my first post and I don't want to sound picky but.....

Drop the "T" in Dex"T"ron and add UDT.

Hope you see the humour!!!!!:)

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
sorry to dig up an old thread, but i was searching the forum for the answer before starting a new thread...

i live in both florida and nc, so NOT a cold environment

is dextron still ok to run?

I'm paying about 5 bucks per quart of UDT at the dealer and was seeing if there were less expensive options

thx

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
sorry to dig up an old thread, but i was searching the forum for the answer before starting a new thread...

i live in both florida and nc, so NOT a cold environment

I run a b1750 HST with loader

is dextron still ok to run?

I'm paying about 5 bucks per quart of UDT at the dealer and was seeing if there were less expensive options

thx

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
ATF is not recommended in a lot of JD (sundstrand) hydrostatic trannys. I would use the proper multi purpose hydraulic oil. ATF is really designed to be used it transmissions with clutch packs as it has additives to give good lubrication but still allow clutches to operate. It also is better for high temp situations.

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
ATF is not recommended in a lot of JD (sundstrand) hydrostatic trannys. I would use the proper multi purpose hydraulic oil. ATF is really designed to be used it transmissions with clutch packs as it has additives to give good lubrication but still allow clutches to operate. It also is better for high temp situations.
I'm an idiot...i never clicked in page 2 of this thread before posting....

I think vic is saying that an hst with fel is fine for dextron?

and hot temps are what this tractor will be seeing

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I'm an idiot...i never clicked in page 2 of this thread before posting....

I think vic is saying that an hst with fel is fine for dextron?

and hot temps are what this tractor will be seeing
I think he is saying to not use dextron in a tractor with a common sump as your Kubota has.
I would use a high quality UDT.

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
I think he is saying to not use dextron in a tractor with a common sump as your Kubota has.
I would use a high quality UDT.

even for a hst tranny?
I can understand with a gear tranny, as they usually take a gear oil like 80-90weight...diff oil.

but, isnt a hst tranny similar to an auto car tranny in that dextron is okay?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
even for a hst tranny?
I can understand with a gear tranny, as they usually take a gear oil like 80-90weight...diff oil.

but, isnt a hst tranny similar to an auto car tranny in that dextron is okay?
You still have gears in the differential and I am not too sure that ATF is recommended for that. It will likely run a long time with ATF but why not use the proper fluid?