Third function valve kit

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
I’m planning to pick up my new B2401 this Friday. I’m getting a grapple with the tractor but I don’t want to pay the dealer to install the third function valve kit. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the different options. It looks like Land Pride, Kubota, WR Long, and Summit Hydraulics all have valve kits that work with the B 01 series but I can’t see the differences from the internet or if its just the same kit rebranded. I can buy either the Land Pride or Kubota kits with my tractor (and finance them) but they’re more expensive. Is there any reason not to go with the Summit Hydraulics kit for $550?

https://summit-hydraulics.com/produ...-kubota-b2320-b2620-b2301-and-b2601-tractors/

Land Pride 380-149A

budice81

Apr 3, 2020
FRONT ROYAL
just got me 3560 le . got 3rd function installed when i bought it .dont think there was charge to install it . like 800 $ for kit . my kit prob alil dif thans yours .but nice to have one thats designed for the tractor. also you could ask salesman if you can pay for kit aside from financed in . thats what i did for my grapple. assuming dealer has in stock .. didnt want the headache of installing myself.

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
My dealer wants $1300 for the Kubota kit installed. I think they bill for 3-4 hours to install it. If I buy the Summit kit and install it myself I save $750 which will pay for an implement. I would much rather have another implement and have no issues or concerns about installing the 3rd function kit myself. If installation was free, I would have no problem letting the dealer do the work! I just don't want to cheap out on the Summit kit if there are reasons the Kubota, LP, or WR Long kit are worth the extra $300.

budice81

Apr 3, 2020
FRONT ROYAL
this is my 2nd tractor bought new. i never paid to have stuff installed when it was new. backhoes included. others should chime in . when new add all the extras , never been charged for installation.. dunno maybe i got a good dealer. but thought all add ons were put on with cost of tractor..

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Various tractors will have simple or more complicated installation for the third function valve. You might want to get the installation instructions and see what's involved for your specific tractor.

On my L4240 there are a few hours of work to do even if you've done it before and have all the shop tools. As an example, the right rear tire and fender is removed to access the hyd components to be connected to. Five or six qts of fluid will be drained, etc. and it's all in a pretty tight area.

The big difference between the Kubota third function kit and aftermarket kits is the Kubota has steel lines coming to the front quick connects. Aftermarket kits are hoses to suit the need.

I paid the dealer to install after I had the box of components home and looked at what was required. Cost was $400 for labor and the replaced hyd. oil. Well worth it to me to go get it, have it working, and done with it!

Last edited:

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks D2Cat, that is good to know that the Kubota kit comes with steel lines along the loader, thats probably worth the extra money. I have looked at the install instructions and it does require removal of the rear tire but aside from that it looked pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

budice81

Apr 3, 2020
FRONT ROYAL
dam , thats messed up . they should be happy to sell something to make a few $s. i think i would look at other tractor brands that sell more homeowner stuff then . tell salesman to walk the plank... spend your $ on somethin like a kioti (spell) . hear they pretty good too
no way id buy new tractor and they gonna charge me for labor for accesssories..

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
dam , thats messed up . they should be happy to sell something to make a few $s. i think i would look at other tractor brands that sell more homeowner stuff then . tell salesman to walk the plank... spend your $ on somethin like a kioti (spell) . hear they pretty good too
no way id buy new tractor and they gonna charge me for labor for accesssories..
huh? you want to buy a optional accessory, then have it installed (which takes hours) by a professional tech, for free? I would like to live in this world.

I***8217;m wondering if anyone has experience with the different options.

anyways, To the OP, birddogger did a great, very thorough write up about installing summit 3rd function kit on his B2650. Different tractor than yours, but it should give you the general idea of things on B series.

I installed my Land Pride 3rd function myself to save $500-$700 the dealer asked, it wasnt difficult, but care needs to be taken during the install. For the average joe (like me) it takes a bit of time. I had to make some adjustments thanks to the careful guidance provided from this forum, but was able to complete the install without too much difficulty. If your tractor is already at the dealer, I would be tempted to just pay them. If you are going to have it first, then I wouldn't hesitate to just DIY.

summit install on B2650:
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=384654

budice81

Apr 3, 2020
FRONT ROYAL
huh? you want to buy a optional accessory, then have it installed (which takes hours) by a professional tech, for free? I would like to live in this world.

when i built my tractor online l3560 le with backhoe and 3rd function it never said anything about added installation fees . same as my old 2501 bought new , never was i charged fee for installation. hell even got the 3rd function 100$ less than whats on web site. i must have a awesome dealer..i thought this was the normal in building a tractor you want .. dam ..sorry bout yalls dealers. shouldnt be that way..

do they charge yall to put on the front loader ?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
El Jefe, what you might do is call a dealer....even Messick or Coleman and ask what the 3rd function kit cost for the tractor you're purchasing. Then you will know the actual cost of the item. Subtract that from the cost quoted, and you'll have the cost for installation, if any.

In my opinion, and the reason I went with Kubota, is the steel lines. The steel is anchored to the loader and never in the way of anything. The steel lines cost more, but 10 years down the line they will still be there, not needing replaced.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
The big difference between the Kubota third function kit and aftermarket kits is the Kubota has steel lines coming to the front quick connects. Aftermarket kits are hoses to suit the need.
Is this true across the lineup? Was looking at the summit kit and install myself. But if the Kubota kit is steel lines, I’ll go that route as long as it’s a true 3rd function and not a diverter valve.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Matt, the best way to get the best answer is call a dealer and inquire about your specific tractor. Kubota is true third function.

I bought the tractor when it was 10 years old. Had the third function installed a year later. Here is a picture of the lines coming to the front. Looks exactly as if the kit was installed on day one at the dealer.

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Matt, the best way to get the best answer is call a dealer and inquire about your specific tractor. Kubota is true third function.

I bought the tractor when it was 10 years old. Had the third function installed a year later. Here is a picture of the lines coming to the front. Looks exactly as if the kit was installed on day one at the dealer.

Thank you. I don’t have a tractor yet, still deciding what I want/need. Also, I may need to ask another dealer, as the one I got quotes from was only $900-1000 off of the MSRP build price on Kubota website.

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
The dealer quoted me $1330 for the kit installed, they quoted me $696 for the Land Pride kit (380-149A) which does appear to use flexible hydraulic lines. The Kubota kit is part number B1672, which they said was $100 more but not currently available. A quick internet search pulls up several threads on various forums about the Kubota kit being unavailable. It sounds like my options are the Summit kit for $549 or the LP kit for $696. The dealer price on the LP kit seems really good compared to online sources but I don’t know if its $150 better than the Summit kit. I will probably just get the LP kit with my tractor so I can roll the cost into the financing and install it right away. I do like the look of your Kubota kit with the steel lines, I would definitely pay more for that.

I’m getting a little impatient, the tractor arrived at my dealer last Friday afternoon and they assembled it but now are apparently waiting on a bucket so I may not be able to pick it up until next week.