Tractor bumping

Ranger Rod

Equipment
B2650, front snow blower, rear blade, loader and backhoe
May 5, 2020
Mendon, MA 01756
I have a B2650 with a cab and just noticed that when i'm traveling, the tractor will act like i hit something on the left side rear so the tractor sways left to right.

This continues every 6-8 feet. I lifted the rear to check the tires and they seem fine.
Any ideas out there?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It sounds like you have a tire problem and at each revolution you get a thump! Might jack the rear up and run tractor to see if a tire is not round.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
HOw long have you owned it and how old are the tires? A broken sidewall can do that (similar to a broken belt in an auto-tire.)

Reactions: 1 user

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My L245 with turf tires does this too but it is only noticeable when driving on the road at top speed.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Check the lug nut also. But I have some tires when left sitting for few days will do that. Larger ag tires filled. Not noticed it with loader tires.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are the three point arms hitting the tires?

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
Just a thought, check your cab mounts, there are 4, rubber bushing type, under the floor at each corner, if i didnt know that these cab mounts were kinda sloppy, id think there was something wrong, my cab will move around when i get in to the rougher parts of the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger Rod

Equipment
B2650, front snow blower, rear blade, loader and backhoe
May 5, 2020
Mendon, MA 01756
Thanks for the response. I think I have a flat spot on the tire. Running the tractor more should resolve the issue, I hope!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have a flat spot, you'll have a flat spot for a long time! Running the tire on asphalt will cause wear, but not enough to smooth your ride.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Don’t mean to detract from the original topic but this reminds me of what happened to me 30 years ago at a Sears tire store: I had bought new tires from Sears and shortly-after discovered a “bump” I felt was probably a defective belt on the new tire(s), so I took it back in for warranty about a week after the purchase.
While awaiting my vehicles’ turn in-line for service I shopped the store.
I was amazed/puzzled/shocked/pizzed when I came back to the tire dept to find they actually had a dedicated machine that was spinning my wheels and grinding tread off those new tires in an attempt to make them perfectly round... :eek::mad:

I made them replace them completely with a different model/brand of tire.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Don’t mean to detract from the original topic but this reminds me of what happened to me 30 years ago at a Sears tire store: I had bought new tires from Sears and shortly-after discovered a “bump” I felt was probably a defective belt on the new tire(s), so I took it back in for warranty about a week after the purchase.
I was amazed/puzzled/shocked/pizzed when I came back to the tire dept to find they actually had a dedicated machine that was spinning my wheels and grinding tread off those new tires in an attempt to make them perfectly round... :eek::mad:

Were they really grinding the tread off? You sure they weren’t using a road force balancer?

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina

It was longer than 30 yes back but they did use to have a machine that "trued" tires. A find mechanic told me a truly round tire got mores miles from tires that were not round.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Thanks for the response. I think I have a flat spot on the tire. Running the tractor more should resolve the issue, I hope!
If you don't remember the days of nylon in bias ply DOT tires, here's a little info on nylon in tires. It's pretty much a normal thing... and if they sit for extended periods at low pressure, the flat areas may become somewhat permanent.

DIAGONAL (BIAS-PLY) TIRES
These tires have body plies which cross at a substantial angle to the centerline of the tread and which strengthens both the sidewall and the tread area. Bias ply tires will almost always have an even number of body plies because using an odd number of plies causes a pull. Bias ply tires are usually constructed from nylon cord. Nylon has a wonderful property in that it shrinks when heated, but it also has an unfortunate tendency to take a set when statically loaded, especially when cold, resulting in a flat spot, the square tire syndrome. A flat spot will typically work itself out at the tires heat up after a few miles of driving.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, the machine had an abrasive wheel that spun in opposite direction to the spinning tire and actually ground-away tread on those new tires in some misguided effort to make them “more round” (Don’t recall them claiming to “true” them but perhaps that’s the term for it.
These were not nylon belted tires they were Sears-badged Michelins. I made them remove the tires from my wheels and install Goodrich’s (the only comparbly priced tire they had in-stock that day.)
Pretty damm crazy, IMO.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Truing of bias ply tires was a premium option in the 50's and 60's. the process ground the out of round shape and resulted in a round longer lasting tire. Not much tread was removed it was truing and not a fix for a bad tire! Think of it as a correction instead of extra weights to balance.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
At the time I thought of it as removing valuable, useable tread on a new tire.

Now (after reading this thread) ...I consider it bad manufacturing of out-of-round tires.

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Comment about GeoHorn post,saw the same thing must have been in mid 70's. Like you was getting tires and had to go back into shop to get the "key lock" to the locking lug nuts ,unlock my dash for the tire mechanic to get it, Being a machinist ,I couldn't believe that you could turn an out of round tire back round again! Sure glad my new set of "Super Mag 60" white letter tires on my 66 Chevy II SS didn't have to have this done. This was before radial tires affordable for me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I keep wondering if there is an internal issue in the case and not the tires.