Water Seperator Filter Cruched Inward

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I am not certain what the original problem was. While cutting hay my M9000 would loose power and smother down like it was going to stall. It would clear up for a few minutes then do it again. I limped along and finished cutting hay. Today I drained both tanks, removed the crossover (which was clean) blew out all the lines and vents and replaced the fuel and separator filters. I put 10 gallons of fuel from another source and the tractor is now running fine.

The separator was crushed inward. I did not see any obvious water in the fuel although I had earlier in the day filled the tank from my transfer which I had just filled at a local station. I am going to try a closer inspection of fuel from the transfer tank tomorrow.

Here is my main question: I service every spring and, because I could not source a wire screen filter, I used a paper filter in the separator. Has anyone else done this and ran into similar problems? This was my 4th or 5th tank of fuel on this filter.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you are referring to the clear bowl with the shutoff petcock on it, it takes a fine mesh filter and yes, it is possible to crush it if it's not installed properly. It fits on the boss in the upper part of the unit with a spring on the bottom that holds the mesh filter tight against the boss. If you cock it and screw on the bowl, it will crush the filter. Far as I know, the filter is a dealer item only.

Don't forget to re install the red plastic ring in the bowl, that is the water in fuel indicator.

Never heard of a paper filter that goes in the bowl but maybe they do exist. I use the fine mesh Kubota filter. It is cleanable. Messicks and Coleman both have them in stock.

Only other filters is the spin on fuel filter that is close to the engine firewall and has the primer pump knob on top of it.

Sounds to me like a fuel starvation issue. You might want to check the fuel tank(s) vent hose.

Last edited: