Gunships

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
"low level". One of my former pastors flew P51's during the korean war time. Told me about one time he was flying as wing man,,,keep your eyes on the lead plane and fly just below him. Said when he got back on the tarmac, one of the crew chiefs walked up to him with a small tree limb. " Been flying a little low there, Captain???

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
Many years ago while standing on the side of a steep mountain side deer hunting I hear the sudden and loud sound of a jet engine, I looked up and I didn’t see anything. I then glanced down as a F-16 passed below at a guess of 100 feet off the tree tops, a few seconds later a second F-16 passed below me and I could see the pilot sitting in the cock pit.

They performed this fly by two more times during that afternoon, they dropped over a 2350 foot mountain, (yes here in the east that’s a mountain) into a 800 foot elevation valley weaving between the hills. It’s hard to say how fast they were going but I know if you blinked twice they were gone.

When Plattsburg AFB was open we would sit on our deck on the summer evenings and watch the KC-135 Stratotankers refueling planes over the national forest both impressive sites to see.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I've been blown up several times when I was out with the round baler, I would look up and see an a10 do a little dance, then turn off.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
As a young pipeline-patrol pilot in the early ‘70s I was flying northwest at 500 feet just north of Corsicana, Texas inspecting a gasoline pipeline right of way. At such altitudes there was never any conflict with other air traffic, not even in the Dallas FtWorth area to the north, the only air traffic I ever saw was birds. My attention for hours on-end was downward out the left window looking for problems on the pipeline and it was boring work. I was typically fighting off that boredom when I was jolted by a D-model B-52 that passed eastbound BENEATH me! I was doing about 100 mph and he was likely doing around 300 knots opposite direction!
I was relieved of my boredom for the rest of that afternoon.

(Anyone who’s ever heard a D-model on takeoff will recall the intense scream of those things as the water-injection pumps actually made more noise than the eight engines! What a beast!
Present models use fan-jets instead of turbojets and are significantly quieter.)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Glad the fly bys in my back yard are tamer, not good for the high blood pressure to encounter the ones you guys describe. My biplane buddies flew by tonight and I grabbed a couple pictures as they looped around the round pen. Was a fabulous night for flying.

Attachments