Operator's Manual Explanation

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Can someone explain why in my Operator's Manual for my BH77 backhoe it specifically warns not to use liquid ballast in the rear tires while the BH77 is attached? I was interested in adding beet juice to my rear tires for stability and traction, but this is not recommended with the backhoe attached. Why? Too much weight on the rear axle?

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I was told it is to protect the hoe outriggers. When I use mine, I lift the rear of the tractor slightly off the ground with the riggers...loaded tires would add quite a bit of weight and stress. :confused: :confused:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I think it’s because you need some squishiness in the tires to handle rolling over terrain. filled tires have too much reduced air volume to allow the squishy. filled tires don’t add much axel stress, the extra weight isn’t supported by the axel.

I assume you want loaded tires for applications when the BH is not on, you don’t need the weight with the BH. With BH off a ballast box is way more effective than loaded tires and it’s cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I was told it is to protect the hoe outriggers. When I use mine, I lift the rear of the tractor slightly off the ground with the riggers...loaded tires would add quite a bit of weight and stress. :confused: :confused:

my understanding with a SCUT type TLB, you shouldn’t be lifting the tires off the ground with the outriggers, just put enough of weight on the outriggers to keep stable.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
my understanding with a SCUT type TLB, you shouldn***8217;t be lifting the tires off the ground with the outriggers, just put enough of weight on the outriggers to keep stable.

Most of the time I have no choice if I want the sides of the hole I am digging to be plumb. Would be fine if I only dug on perfectly level ground. At the very least, one tire is usually off the ground.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Most of the time I have no choice if I want the sides of the hole I am digging to be plumb. Would be fine if I only dug on perfectly level ground. At the very least, one tire is usually off the ground.

yea, that would be a problem,

but then your loader bucket is not flat on the ground either, so your outriggers are fighting that force too, right?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
For what it's worth, my new 2650 came from the dealer with loaded tires and BH77 installed. I don't always lift both tires off the ground while digging, but sometimes I have to. Haven't had an issue yet. Outriggers have held up to some serious abuse so far. Maybe I'm just lucky so far.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I can see where that might be a problem. I wanted to take the backhoe off during the winter months and put a front snowblower on. I guess I will have to wait and see if I have enough weight without the rear tires filled. I can put my box blade on for some additional weight if I need to.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
yea, that would be a problem,

but then your loader bucket is not flat on the ground either, so your outriggers are fighting that force too, right?

True, the loader bucket is often not entirely flat on the ground but the rig is always in a pseudo triangulated stance...albeit not always an isosceles triangle. :D

I don't see this as any abnormal force on the outriggers...the only force that should be exerted on the outriggers is that induced by gravity which is constant.

Now, if you start dragging the tractor around with the backhoe while the outrigger are down...all bets are off. :eek: