Parking brake does not hold tractor

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I went to use my parking brake lever on my B3200 this past weekend. I was on a slight incline and I wanted the FEL up off the ground a few feet to hand shovel the material out and around the septic distribution box. When I pushed in on the brake to set the lever and released the foot pedals, it would not hold the tractor from rolling.

Is there an adjustment I can do to the parking brake so it will hold the tractor from moving?

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I went to use my parking brake lever on my B3200 this past weekend. I was on a slight incline and I wanted the FEL up off the ground a few feet to hand shovel the material out and around the septic distribution box. When I pushed in on the brake to set the lever and released the foot pedals, it would not hold the tractor from rolling.

Is there an adjustment I can do to the parking brake so it will hold the tractor from moving?
Either you did not push on the brake pedal(s) firmly enough, the lock did not catch allowing the brake(s) to release, or one or both rear tire(s) is/are sliding.

Are the pedals locked together?

Any rear ballast?

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

If you depress the brake and pull the parking brake latch and it won't hold then you need to adjust the brakes, there is no adjustment (besides the ratchet cam setup), to the parking brake lever.

I'm curious how an HST would roll?
Even by Old B's won't roll on a incline.

Also, was it in 4wd, as setting the brakes will also lock the front tires if working right.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
While mowing on Sunday I needed to get off to pick up a couple things in the yard. I set the parking brake on a slight decline and my tractor was inching forward. I turned where it wouldn’t roll but that’s the first time it’s happened.

Not in 4wd and it’s a hydrostatic transmission.

So is it not suppose to move at all being a hydro even on an decline without the brake set? I rarely use the brake other than for parking, have about 500 hours on her. Under normal operating at those hours is it common to need to adjust the brakes?

Thanks.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
If you depress the brake and pull the parking brake latch and it won't hold then you need to adjust the brakes, there is no adjustment (besides the ratchet cam setup), to the parking brake lever.

I'm curious how an HST would roll?
Even by Old B's won't roll on a incline.

Also, was it in 4wd, as setting the brakes will also lock the front tires if working right.
It was in M, 2WD and rolled, did not slide. The tires turned. It was running, not sure if that makes a difference. No ballast on the rear. To flip the parking lever down, you have to really depress the brake pedals (locked together) to get that lever down and to hold. When you let back up on the brake pedals, she starts rolling. I'll try it in 4wd and see if that makes a difference if not I need to figure out how to adjust the brakes

Last edited:

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I have to push the brake pedal really hard then set parking brake lever, otherwise my tractor will roll on a incline or decline. My brakes probably need to be adjusted since I have operated the tractor too many times with the brakes on. :D

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have them exact same issue on my L2800...I have tried most of the suggested adjustments...except adjusting the rear brakes...not really sure how to do that.

Not intending to hijack the thread...but this is a safety issue and I want to learn how to correct the issue...thanks...following.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On my L3450 and B7100 if i set the brake, it will stall the tractor if I try and move it.

The Hydrostat transmission models shouldn't roll, they will creep, but not free roll.

Sounds like everyone that's got this issue need to get the WSM for their tractor and do some brake adjustments. ;)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I will be downloading the WSM this evening when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
On my L3450 and B7100 if i set the brake, it will stall the tractor if I try and move it.

The Hydrostat transmission models shouldn't roll, they will creep, but not free roll.

Sounds like everyone that's got this issue need to get the WSM for their tractor and do some brake adjustments. ;)
Creep is probably a better discription of what’s happening with mine. I’ll get to the brake adjustment soon. I have a maintenance list working for the fall.

Whistlin

Equipment
L2900
Mar 10, 2023
Tennessee
seems Kubota has this issue across all series and years. just bought an L3302 and Park Brake does not work in Forward. Park Brake indicator stays on all the time. My old L2900 has never held properly.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I'm curious how an HST would roll?

Well I KNOW the BX23S rolls ,engine off, high range,and PB magically releases! Have had to chase it down the road a few times.....neighbours find it funny as usually I'm ON the tractor NOT running after it.

• Haha

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If I need to stop on a slope, I will lower the implement to the ground in addition to setting the parking brake.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have to push the brake pedal really hard then set parking brake lever, otherwise my tractor will roll on a incline or decline. My brakes probably need to be adjusted since I have operated the tractor too many times with the brakes on. :D
I took this out of my trophy case that's filled with them.

This ones for you buddy! (y) and I have more if anyone else needs one.........Hahahahha

1699530001825.png

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’ve had a bit of a learning curve operating a tractor that has two good brakes. Most of my pre-L4701 hours were on a 9N with a left brake so oily it was near useless for anything beyond brake steering and a right brake that was pretty decent if I stood on it with my entire 220lb while pulling up on the steering wheel with an additional 100lb or so force. If you really wanted to stop, drop anchor and fix whatever damage you did to the ground later.

First couple of times I used the brakes on the Kubota I was shocked at how well they work, PB actually holds the tractor (although I still drop anchor every time I get out of the seat due to habits developed on the old 9N), and brake steering takes a light touch. First time I brake steered it while mowing without the loader, it spun me around like a Mike Tyson punch and I was glad I at least had enough sense to be wearing the seatbelt.

Yet, in low range, it’s kind of hard to tell if the PB is on or not if you don’t notice the little red dash light. Too much torque for the brakes to compete. Medium or high range, the HST whine will
warn you.

After about 400 hours on the Kubota, I’m convinced brakes are a good thing, even on a tractor, so if they aren’t working right it’s worth some effort to fix them.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Most of my pre-L4701 hours were on a 9N with a left brake so oily it was near useless for anything beyond brake steering and a right brake that was pretty decent if I stood on it with my entire 220lb while pulling up on the steering wheel with an additional 100lb or so force. If you really wanted to stop, drop anchor and fix whatever damage you did to the ground later.
I had a similar 9N. If you wanted to stop you needed to put it in reverse and slip the clutch. But you had to do it before heading down the hill because it was almost impossible to shift while rolling....

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Adjust both brake pedals' free-play to factory spec, then make sure the park brake lever sets correctly.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I've made the mistake of forgetting to release the parking brake a few too many times myself. If I'm parked on a hilly spot the tractor will creep on me to. I need to figure how to adjust them so their tighter. Probably should search the Service, Maintenance and Report sub forum on how to do this.