For FEL safety, has anyone installed hydraulic velocity fuses?

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
I was thinking of using my FEL for a manlift. For safety, has anyone installed velocity fuses to the lowering cylinder ports.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
There is more to it than hoses bursting.
To safely use a loader as a manlift you must have a self-levelling setup. This is because it is required by law (at least in this country)to disable the dump lever in case it gets hit with a person up in the air.
Look, people do it all the time and get away with it but there is always that chance that something will go wrong. You might not lower the bucket one time before moving and flip the tractor.
That's my tuppence anyway

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You really need them on all 4 cylinders as any of the 4 fail and it could be catastrophic.

If i was setting up a FEL as a man lift I would install velocity fuses at all 4 cylinder ports and check valves like Kenny said and flow reducers with manual override lockouts on the dump output and inputs of the FEL valve.... Wait... just go rent a Man lift much cheaper and safer!

I know... Poo Poo on your party!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As an old safety guy NIW gave you sage advice, I have seen a lot of ,shall we say inventive ideas on job sites,like what you are thinking about. All of them look good on paper, but not so much in the light of day