TNT, FEL & grapple with 3rd function?

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
Hey everybody, been lurking & looking for a while—thanks for all the good info. While I have read several threads about adding top & tilt, I am still a bit confused. I just added a grapple for my FEL, with a 3rd function valve. I also want to add power back to another remote to power the TNT.

What is the best way to tap into the hydraulics for the TNT remote valve Assy.? It seems easiest to install tees into the power & return lines (and run one leg of each tee to the TNT remote) either before the FEL valve, or between the FEL valve and the 3rd function valve that I installed for the grapple. What am I missing here?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Welcome to OTT,
You cannot Tee into high pressure lines, the fluid will "take the path of least resistance" and you'll not get pressure through either circuit. All new valves must be added in series just as your 3rd function is. FYI you need a 2-spool valve for your TnT setup.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
OK, you didn't mention the WR Long valve before (just said 3rd function)...and you didn't show the feed and return hoses in you pics.

But, find the OUT hose on the WRL valve, you will connect that to the IN of your new spool spool valve. Then the PB/BYD (power beyond) port of the new valve will connect to where you WRL hose in connected now. This puts the new valve in series with the flow. Now, just one more connection needs to be made, the OUT port of your new valve needs to connect back to the tranny case somewhere, if you look I'm sure you'll find a plugged port you can use. This takes the "waste oil" from the "work ports" on the new valve and sends it back to the tank to cool and get recirculated.

Here is generic diagram to ponder: http://www.baumhydraulics.com/images/PDF/basic_hydraulic.pdf

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
OK Kenny, I got it now. Your description and the diagram tells me what I needed to know.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me figure this out--and maybe someone else later.

Philip

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
Assuming that this is going onto your L3301? The picture shows the best place to have the return to tank line run. Simply tee it into the existing return to tank line at the port.

Yes it is going on my L3301, but my pump assy does not look like your picture. I have at least one more line coming out of it, but I do get what you are saying--that it is OK to tee into return line, just not the power beyond 'pressure' line, as Kenny had said in earlier post.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Yes it is going on my L3301, but my pump assy does not look like your picture. I have at least one more line coming out of it, but I do get what you are saying--that it is OK to tee into return line, just not the power beyond 'pressure' line, as Kenny had said in earlier post.
This is the hydraulic block under the right side floor board. Yours has more than 3 ports??? :confused:

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
Nope, I don't have more than your picture. I was under it the other day & I thought I remember 4 connections, one is the steel pipe one on the side. Sorry.

philip53

Equipment
L3301 with 525 FEL
Jul 26, 2019
Jonesboro, Louisiana
OK, I finally rounded up all of my components, but have a question on plumbing the Prince (Wolverine) 2-spool valve for the rear remotes. From my 3rd function valve, I will now go to the new Prince remote In port. As purchased, the remote is configured with an in and an out. Should the return line from the Prince valve now go to the PBY port on the tractor manifold (where I removed the one from the 3rd function valve? Or should I remove the steel plug from the C port, and install the optional high pressure carry over plug inside the C port creating a PBY valve assembly? In this configuration, I would have an IN port, a Return port and a return to tank port (Outlet) which I can then install with a Tee on the tractor manifold.

This should be a simple deal, and I am probably making much more of it than I should, but damn, I can't find a diagram or description anywhere that shows how to plumb these rear remotes (for top & tilt) from a W.R. Long 3rd function valve. It seems logical that I would do the optional Power Beyond configuration on the Prince valve in order to maintain a steady flow through the complete system. I have found diagrams showing rear remotes needing only two hoses, and some others showed the return to tank hose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Surely someone has done this.

Thanks