small chainsaw recommendations

Holleyman

Equipment
Kubota B6001, Caterpillar 252B, AM General M813A1, Ford 8N, Komatsu PC30
Sep 25, 2013
80 acres in Athabasca AB
The 170 is my favorite little saw. I am going to buy another one before 6/30/19. They are on sale for $159 till then. My son-in-law helps me some and two little saws will be real handy!
Another vote for the 170. I have three saws, the 170 is the smallest, lightest, easiest to handle (also the go to for 90% of my cutting needs). Love that little saw.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Another vote for the Stihl ms 170 and the Echo cs 400. Only thing I don't like about the 170 is the cheap air filter but like any saw as long as you clean it and sharpen the chain after your done with it you shouldn't have any problems.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Had an echo given to me and am totally amazed at what it can do. Only has a 14" bar, can be upgrade to a 16". Please whatever you do don't but a Poulan. I don't care what some people say they are a disposable saw. When it doesn't start pitch it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I bought a Husky 360 with an 18 inch bar, from Lowes, because my Mc 1010 went tits up and I needed a saw quick. That was 10 years ago, the only trouble I have had was the bloody muffler wore out the bole holes in the cooling fins poor design, and one time it wouldn't start because somehow I broke the spark plug. They dont make that one any more, and I read the new huskys are junk, So I dont know I guess ya pays your money and takes your chances

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Most are going to tell you to buy a Stihl, and they are mostly great saws.

For the homeowner, aka occasional limb trimmer (couple times a year maybe?), a wal-mart cheapie Homelite or Poulan is fine. I have a Poulan PP4218AVX which I've had over 10 years now; does everything I need, nary a single repair needed-ever. Gas and oil, and file the chain once in a while. I couldn't see spending $300+ on a similar Stihl and using it twice a year. Poulan was under $100 new with warranty. When it dies, it will probably get replaced with another one that's just like it or similar. At the rate I use a saw, and given the age of this thing, I seriously doubt I'll have to buy another one. It will NEVER cut as fast as a stihl, but that don't matter to me....I ain't cutting trees for a living. Trim the low limbs once every so often, cut up a few fallen limbs after storms, but that's about it.

Last edited:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
2,398 sold? Wow. That's a lot of refurbished saws. Not sure how a 14" bar equates to a 36" cutting capacity. I would have thought the maximum capacity to be closer to 24" diameter for that length bar.
I have no idea. Lol. Maybe they use the same math that Stihl uses to figure their horsepower numbers.:D

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Another vote for the Stihl ms 170 and the Echo cs 400. Only thing I don't like about the 170 is the cheap air filter but like any saw as long as you clean it and sharpen the chain after your done with it you shouldn't have any problems.
Alt of people say the Echos are nice saws. I have never used one, only fondled them at the store. I just can't get passed the on/off toggle swtich, and chinsey choke lever. Then on top of that, they are located on opposite sides of the handle. They're decades behind the "Big2" when it comes to that.

Holleyman

Equipment
Kubota B6001, Caterpillar 252B, AM General M813A1, Ford 8N, Komatsu PC30
Sep 25, 2013
80 acres in Athabasca AB
2,398 sold? Wow. That's a lot of refurbished saws. Not sure how a 14" bar equates to a 36" cutting capacity. I would have thought the maximum capacity to be closer to 24" diameter for that length bar.
Perhaps they meant 36 cm cutting capacity... the math works

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Alt of people say the Echos are nice saws. I have never used one, only fondled them at the store. I just can't get passed the on/off toggle swtich, and chinsey choke lever. Then on top of that, they are located on opposite sides of the handle. They're decades behind the "Big2" when it comes to that.
Decades behind, nope I don't think so. I will admit that I haven't used it all that long compared to my Stihl's but that's only because I've only owned it for less then a year. The off switch has never got caught in my pants or jacket and killed the saw so no problem there. The choke will only be used once when starting should I say twice, once when you first start it and again to shut it off when she kicks. By far the easiest saw I've ever owned to start, usually only 2 to 3 pulls when cold and a half pull after that. I've owned 4 or 5 Stihl's and they were all good saws as is the MS 170 I still have but I find myself picking up the Echo 9 times out of 10. There is also a mod on youtube for the Echo 400 which gives it a bit more grunt. Bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with either saw.

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Decades behind, nope I don't think so.
All I'm saying, is that Husqvarna or Stihl, haven't used two independent start/stop/choke levers or switches, since what, the 70's? So yeah, Echo is decades behind that. Literally, decades.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
All I'm saying, is that Husqvarna or Stihl, haven't used two independent start/stop/choke levers or switches, since what, the 70's? So yeah, Echo is decades behind that. Literally, decades.
Well I just we're at a stand off, lol. Have a great day my friend.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Most are going to tell you to buy a Stihl, and they are mostly great saws.

For the homeowner, aka occasional limb trimmer (couple times a year maybe?), a wal-mart cheapie Homelite or Poulan is fine.
Lugbolt - - true to some extent. I have a friend that buys those Poulan "Wild Thing" saws. Swears by them, uses them pretty hard, and goes through them like you say.

Many years ago, K-Mart used to sell McCollough saws for $119 or so. A comparable local Stihl and Husky saw at a local dealer I used was $159.

The McCollough's spark-arrestor screen would plug after a while, and the saw wouldn't run. They'd take it to the local Stihl/Husky dealer/service guy, and after a $40-50 service, they'd get their saw back....

You and I would fix it ourselves. Some guys can't or won't and would be better off buying from a local dealer instead of a Big Box.

Now the same can happen with a Stihl or Husky saw from a local dealer, but in my experience, they'll just pull the screen out and maybe replace for no charge. (We're not in a fire-concern area, so most of them are just removed.)

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I prefer them separate. I also don't care for the electronic tuning modern saws have. Two buddies had to return Professional Husky saws due to electronic failures.

Both of my Stihls have the combination choke/throttle lock, etc. Don't care for it, but it is what it is...

If an Echo doesn't have that, and also didn't have electronic tuning, I would consider that a positive, not a negative. I've run a chainsaw for 45 years, and am decent at fixing them. Some of the modern amenities hinder the ability of the owner to fix their own stuff.....JMHO.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I went through three Poluan/Wildthings saws. Only had to pay for two, HD replaced one severely used one as a courtesy.
My issue with the cheap saws was they were low on power. They leaked fuel, hard to start cold. Fuel capos needed channel locks to remove/install. So over time, it was not worth the money or frustration. I have now spent over $650 on small saws where as had I bought a good one from the start, I'd of saved a lot of money.
The small Sthil I bought never leaks fuel, fires up in two pulls, has loads more power and filling is easy. I can keep fuel in the tank and if there is a little job, it is not an ordeal to get the saw out to make a few cuts.
I run Sthil because they are the only quality saw people near me (only 10 miles). The Echo and Husky guys are 25 miles. From my research, they are all more or less comparable, You pay for quality, most of the time. Same reason you buy a Kubota.
I do not cut a lot these days so I run the premixed in a quart can. No worries about bad fuel.
I finally learned how to sharpen a chain.......

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Many years ago, K-Mart used to sell McCollough saws for $119 or so. A comparable local Stihl and Husky saw at a local dealer I used was $159.
35 years ago I was shopping for my first chainsaw and that McCullough was similarly priced in Canadian Tire. Stihl was advertising that their new oiler system would save enough bar oil to pay for the saw in a year, based on using the saw 25 hours per week.

The McCullough owner's manual made reference to servicing the saw every 25 hours or annually.

It really highlighted the differences in design philosophy for me:
Stihl - 25 hours = weekly use
McCullough - 25 hours = annual use.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It really highlighted the differences in design philosophy for me:
Stihl - 25 hours = weekly use
McCullough - 25 hours = annual use.
Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner!

Of course, you have a large stable of saws. Bottom line is when I want that darn thing to run and run good, I have the right tool for the job...

I don't care what color it is....damn thing has a job to do, and I want that job done when I want/need the job done...:)

Last edited: