Snowblower Front mount or rear PTO - Thoughts?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
One other thing to think about.....if you are buying an open platform tractor with no cab, a rear blower and front loader are a good combination.

On the days the wind isn't cooperating with me I will push all my yard over into windrows with the loader and lessen the area I have to blow. Or push most of the snow to an area where the wind will cooperate with blowing so you are not getting buried in snow dust.

TimP

Equipment
B3000
Jan 16, 2012
Baltimore, MD. USA
Thanks for the feedback folks. Looks like the front one is favored. My biggest concern was how difficult it might be to take on and off. A freind has a larger Kubota and he describes having to mount a full undercarriage frame for the snowblower and describes it as a pain to do, but the response here makes it seem like the on/off isn't a big deal. Ill take a trip to the local dealer and look at the setup in person. Thanks again folks!
Here is a really great youtube video showing the procedure for mounting Kubota B2782B front blower on a tractor. It doesn't look so bad. It should take a lot less time to actually do it since he is taking time to explain everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3j7KcvrpfY

Of course, if you have FEL, you will have to remove it first. I know from experience, it's about a 20 minute job to do that.

But you usually only do it once a season, unless you have a task for which you need the Front end loader.

I just bought a B3000 with a Front blower and have not used it yet, as we have not had much snow.

But I am sure I will prefer it over the 3PT snow blower I had on my B2150 for 20 years. It worked good but it was tough on my back and neck.

Last edited:

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
If you already have a front end loader, it would be insane to get a front mount snowblower. A rear mount snowblower is less expensive, easier to mount, and a perfect complement including ballast for the loader.

I use the loader to clear out the top of the drive where the snowplows on the highway block it. I use the blower to clear the rest of the drive. It's easy enough to back into the snow. Just make sure you aren't downwind when blowing snow.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Ah, the front vs rear snow blower debate!
We all have different needs and preferences, so no disrespect to the front blower folks...
I am in the rear blower camp for the following reasons:
Significantly less expensive.
Not oem specific.
Usually heavier duty.
Easier to put on and take off.
I do not want to give up my loader or front ssqa blade.

The biggest complaint about rear blowers is neck and back strain from looking over the shoulder. For whatever reason this doesn’t bother me much. For others it’s a serious concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
With a front mounted snowblower, it is relatively easy to dismount the snowblower from the hitch and install the loader... The subframe can remain mounted to tractor along with the center mid pto shaft.

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
The PERFECT solution are the rear-mounted, front-facing blowers. Not sure if they are suitable for a B-series...but they look like the cat’s meow.
In this case, I’d go for the rear mount blower. Far cheaper, less hassle to take on and off...and you still have your loader. Yeah, your neck can get sore from turning around, but you get used to it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
The PERFECT solution are the rear-mounted, front-facing blowers. Not sure if they are suitable for a B-series...but they look like the cat’s meow.
In this case, I’d go for the rear mount blower. Far cheaper, less hassle to take on and off...and you still have your loader. Yeah, your neck can get sore from turning around, but you get used to it.
Inverted blowers are nice for driving forward with a rear 3 point blower, but only where you can drive the tractor through the snow.
They won't help you if you have to open up banks.

Today was one of those days i was glad I have a loader on my open platform tractor. The wind is wicked and blowing in every direction.

Attachments

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
I'm 68 and have been using rm snowblowers for the last 13 years.
It doesn't bother me to spin my butt around in the seat and snowblow while backing up, I understand it can be an issue for some folks and a front mount blower would be better for them.
10 year before RM snowblowers I used a front mount snow blowers on my Wheel Horse Garden Tractors. Before that walk behind snow blowers.

In addition to the earlier reasons to have a rm snow blower.

I like the sharp turning radius of the rm snowblower.
It's super handy when snowblowing around my outbuildings, of course one needs to be aware not to steer the front of the tractor into something.
The RM on my B7800 tractor is easier for me to maneuver around my outbuildngs than the Wheel Horse with front mount snow blowers use to be.

I also like being able to raise the 3 pt. and snowblow the top of 4 foot tall snow banks.

Last edited:

Creig

Equipment
1986 B7200HST-D, 1640A FEL, MMM, B2660 front mounted blower, Sims cab
May 24, 2017
Michigan
If you already have a front end loader, it would be insane to get a front mount snowblower. A rear mount snowblower is less expensive, easier to mount, and a perfect complement including ballast for the loader.

I use the loader to clear out the top of the drive where the snowplows on the highway block it. I use the blower to clear the rest of the drive. It's easy enough to back into the snow. Just make sure you aren't downwind when blowing snow.
Call me insane then. I have a B7200 with FEL and this summer I am going to be rebuilding a B2660 blower for the front of my tractor. Having lived in the U.P. of Michigan all my life, I've ended up using just about every form of snow removal equipment known to man at least once. And in my opinion, a front mount blower with rear blade is preferable to a FEL and rear blower. You really don't need a FEL at all if you have a front blower. Even with the heavy stuff that the plows pile in front of your driveway. Every now and then you might need to replace a shear pin. But as long as you plan for that and stock a couple of extras, the occasional irritation of swapping one out is easily compensated for with the ease of blowing that the front mount provides, IMO.

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
OK, I have a B3000 with a Meteor drag snowblower. Made in Canada, three point hitch, but it faces forward, so you just drive along through the snow. This allows the loader on front to be used as needed. I have turf tires and ice pick chains. I also have the cab model, so I stay warm and dry while I watch in my mirrors as the snow blasts out of the chute. There is a remote control to rotate the chute, too. I find it a very nice set-up.

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
The price(front mounts are 2x the price at least) and ease of putting on and taking off were the major factors in purchasing a 3 point blower. I like having the FEL available when clearing snow. Some say it's a pain in the neck to drive backwards but I really have no issue with it, but then again I'm only 33 years old. Everybody has their reasons for what they prefer, I just prefer the silplicity of a 3 point blower
Hi folks. New to the group. I just bought a 2014 B2920 with 240 Hours. It came with the front loader and Backhoe as well as the 60 inch belly mower. I am looking to get a snowblower for it. I have heard the front mounted ones are a pain to take on and off, bit I am used to driving forward to clear snow. Thoughts on front vs rear mounted blowers?

Appreciate the feedback

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Have you ever seen the highway department use anything but a front mounted implement?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Some say it's a pain in the neck to drive backwards but I really have no issue with it, but then again I'm only 33 years old.
Age is a factor. But how much snow do you actually have to move with it?
I can't imagine looking backwards for any length of time. Seems a bit counter productive. I get that cost is a factor.
But driving backwards to do a job better done with driving forward?
As far as removal and installation.....if you have enough snow to have one you probably leave it on.
If you don't ....why get one in the first place?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For the normal few snow falls and normal driveways a rear unit might work fine and dandy.

But when you have major snow storms multiple times a year and a 1/2 mile or more to do, a three point blower is a real work out on the body!
I know, I have one, and it not only kills my neck, but also my back.

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
I live in northern Mn so yes our winters are brutal and we get alot of snow and the 3 point blower stays on for most if not all of the winter, which is why I choose the 3 point because I also use the FEL all winter long as well for snow removal and hauling firewood etc. Having a front blower makes the machine pretty useless for anything other than snow removal unless you swap it out after each use. The rear will also handle a much heavier/wider unit than the front. Each person has their preference for different reasons..
Age is a factor. But how much snow do you actually have to move with it?
I can't imagine looking backwards for any length of time. Seems a bit counter productive. I get that cost is a factor.
But driving backwards to do a job better done with driving forward?
As far as removal and installation.....if you have enough snow to have one you probably leave it on.
If you don't ....why get one in the first place?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
For the normal few snow falls and normal driveways a rear unit might work fine and dandy.

But when you have major snow storms multiple times a year and a 1/2 mile or more to do, a three point blower is a real work out on the body!
I know, I have one, and it not only kills my neck, but also my back.
I'm with NIW on this one... Here in the Ottawa Valley we get lots of snow. This winter I had several days where I logged between 6 & 8 hours in a single session on the tractors, here and at the airport. In January I logged over 25 hours on the airport tractor alone. I've done the same thing with rear-mount blowers for the last 25 years, but a couple of years ago got my first front-mount, a B2782B on my first B7510 with a cab. While I still have one of my MF-135's and its rear-mount blower, it is my "standby" in case one of my Kubotas breaks. The Kubotas, with their front mount blowers, now fall into the category of tools that you can take from me "when you can pry them from my cold, dead hands."

While one of my three B-series tractors has a FEL, it gets put away for the winter. Yes, it would be handy to have for moving firewood etc, but not nearly as handy as having a front-mounted blower for all those hours of moving snow.

Since we get a good amount of snow, I simply will NOT push snow, no way, no how. Pushing snow is a totally lost cause as it produces windrows that are higher than the surrounding area. Get a bit of wind and now your driveway or roadway is filled with a drift that's as deep as the windrow is high. Instead, blow the snow way the heck and gone out into the middle of the yard or the bush and be done with it. If you get snow blowing around, the drifts will only be as deep as the surrounding snow, making the next round of snow removal far easier.

I've had five tractors with rear-mount blowers, including two B-series Kubotas, one of which, a B7200HSD, I sold with its rear-mount blower. Now I have converted all three of my remaining Kubotas to front-mount blowers and there is simply no way I'm going back. Yes, I have kept a 51" Meteor rear mount blower that I could install on any of my three B-series tractors as a "just in case", but I really, really don't want to use it.

If you have any appreciable amount of snow to deal with, backing up is just plain backwards. Do it for a few hours, non-stop, and then tell me you're not sore!

Oh, by the way... If buying a front-mounted blower, it's not mandatory to get the hydraulic chute rotator. One pf our fine OTT members suggested using a power seat motor to replace the manual crank on a front mounted blower. I followed his recommendation and am extremely pleased with the outcome. One of my blowers has the hydraulic rotator, and it works well, if perhaps a little too fast for precise placement of the snow. The power seat motor allows me to precisely rotate the chute as I advance the tractor so I can put the snow in a pile if I wish. I'm really pleased with this modification.

All three of my front-mounted blowers use linear actuators to control discharge chute deflection. This, too, is an inexpensive modification that's very worth doing.

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My B2650 has the front mount 2782B 63" blower, and a 60" box scraper on the 3-point. The scraper is very capable at moving snow and scraping ice, and adds some balance weight for rear tire traction. Not a setup for moving firewood around, but I've got that all done in the fall before the snow hits anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
My B2650 has the front mount 2782B 63" blower, and a 60" box scraper on the 3-point. The scraper is very capable at moving snow and scraping ice, and adds some balance weight for rear tire traction. Not a setup for moving firewood around, but I've got that all done in the fall before the snow hits anyway.
Same deal here - all three B-series tractors have rear blades - two of them are box scrapers, one is a very ugly home-made straight blade. The weight is nice to balance the front-mounted blowers, plus it's great to be able to back up to a garage or hangar door and pull the snow away. This winter the blades have been getting a real workout dealing with all the accumulated ice.