L2850 Clutch Replacement

Rusty 2850

Equipment
L2850, Befco mower, Rankin post hole digger, blade, box scraper
May 25, 2014
Duvall, WA, USA
I have a 2850 with a frozen dual stage clutch. I've tried many tricks to free it with no luck. I suspect it is badly rusted and needs to be replaced. I have the shop manual but haven't split a tractor before.

Are there any tricks or things I should be aware of? Also, do I absolutely need the special Dual Stage Clutch Exclusive Tool for mounting and adjusting the clutch or can this be done with other tools?

Thanks for any help!

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Rusty 2850

Equipment
L2850, Befco mower, Rankin post hole digger, blade, box scraper
May 25, 2014
Duvall, WA, USA
Well that's not scary!

Thank you Bad Dog. I'll have to research some prices and figure out whether or not to tackle the project or have the dealer do it. It may cost a little more to have them do it but at least it will get done and I'll have some recourse if something isn't right. I don't have a concrete floor or proper shop which is also a factor in my decision. This may be a project that shouldn't take place in the yard. It's too bad this is such an expensive deal; people shouldn't have to consider buying another tractor because they need a clutch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rusty 2850,
I didn't have a proper concrete pad to split mine so I just used some 4x10 beams that were laying around, you could use some 4x4's and 1 1/4" ply subfloor.
I was able to split mine without a problem, one nice thing about a wood deck is that you can attach blocking right to it. ;)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've never split a tractor, but I'm not terribly concerned about doing so. It's just another machine that I happen to not have done this on... yet. Just the sheer hassle, and getting that stack setup right without multiple re-dos are my only concerns.

I also found a local well regarded medium-heavy equipment shop that relines/rebuild clutches (and many other related things). I talked to a guy there who was quite casual about the prospect of rebuilding it, and stated they do several 2 stage clutches a day on average. I had no idea they were that common, but the estimate was $200-$500 all in (depending), parts in hand, flywheel surfaced, all new consumables, and already setup ready to install back on the tractor with only final clutch adjust remaining.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Rusty 2850, if I can help in any way please send me a PM and I will help in any way I can. I am unfamiliar with your particular tractor but the of changing the clutch will be about the same.

Advice up front:

You can change the clutch with out the set up tool but it does make it easier. If you decide to do it your self, I can walk you through how I did it.
Get a Kubota clutch assembly if possible it could save a lot of headaches. This was not an option for me because of the age of my tractor.
Take plenty of pictures as you disassemble the tractor, it will be helpful when you reassemble it.
Put all small parts in a ziplock bag and label what they are and where they came from, it will be helpful when you reassemble especially if any time passes from when you took it apart and put it back together.
Have the dealer resurface the flywheel, they DO have the resurfacing specs but will not give them to you!
Change the pilot bearing, through bearing, rear main oil seal and gasket while you are in there.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, there are people that can help you.

Lostdutchman

Equipment
L2850
Dec 31, 2013
Alaska
I've got a 2850 dt split in the garage for clutch seal replacement as well. It's been in there a while but I will try to answer any questions I can. I should have new parts here in two weeks. I just bought the pressure plates and disks because I'm too cheap to get the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heppeone

Equipment
L3750dt w/fel, woods box blade, woods rake, woods yard roller
Oct 24, 2014
murrells inlet, sc
Olthumpa, I***8217;m gettin ready to split my L3750dt for a clutch servicing/replacement, also don***8217;t have the dealer tools, ie clutch center bar/ clutch centering guide. How much more difficult is the job without them? What did you use in place of these items?