DirectShoot deck belt?

PoppyW01

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Feb 17, 2019
Fayette, Alabama
G 2160 DirectShoot bagger. Bought it after it had been sitting in the yard or PO for a couple or more years. Have most of the issues worked out. One electrical issue and my most frustration issue/problem..

The deck on this machine has 3 blades, 1 turning opposite direction of 2 that pushed clippings to the center discharge. I mowed a couple times with the beat up and cracked belts to clean the pulleys. News belts and mowed several times until the short belt rolled over while mowing. After that is last a very short time. I just ruined the 3rd belt on in 5 mowings. Belt is much cheaper than having someone cut this acre+ but time and inconvenience in a PITA. Any suggestions as to why this belt rolls over?

The pulleys are clean but the idler and spindle pulleys did take get more than surface rust. both have pitting but turn pretty free. New spring on idler. Deck does make more noise than engine so I assume that I have bearings to replace but wanted to wait until winter to address that.

Thanks in advance!!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Usually the belt turns because it is not running in one plane. A pulley is higher or lower than others, the idler can flop up or down, a spindle is not turning freely.

I looked for a photo of your machine on line and the one I found for sale had its belt(s) not connected and one pulley clearly on a tilt.

Can you post some photos and the page from the owner's manual showing the belt routing.

Dave

PoppyW01

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Feb 17, 2019
Fayette, Alabama
Thanks Dave. I can this evening. Work calls.

When I first started using it I didn't have a spring. I used a rubber bungie and had it super tight with no issues. Could the new spring be allow the belt to slap when I engage, allowing slack and thus belt roll?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Is the new spring the correct one? Proper tension is needed for good belt performance/longevity. As suggested above alignment is also critical.

I’ve seen some aftermarket, aka cheap internet belts run undersize on the belt width effectively making the belt to long or the spring tension not able to apply the required force.