Snowblower Front mount or rear PTO - Thoughts?

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
With a front mounted snowblower, it is relatively easy to dismount the snowblower from the hitch and install the loader... The subframe can remain mounted to tractor along with the center mid pto shaft.
200mph

I have a 2019 B2601 with QuikTach FEL. Are you saying that the sub frame attachment structure for the snow blower can remain in place when the FEL is reconnected? I have a 3pt. brush hog, so I'm not going to be using the center PTO for a mower. Will the shaft just remain connected, to stay up and out of the way? Do you have photos of this configuration?
Snows commin' and I'd love to know I could QuickTach my FEL if necessary.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Since my BX23S has SSQA, I'm building my own SSQA, selfpowered, dualblower snowblower. I can't afford $2500 for a rear PTO blower or turn around and $5000 for the front mtd one AND loss of loader is a deal breaker. I've got most of it figured out,some partially built, just need a week of time to myself to weld up the frame and program the computer.
The reason I bought the 23S was for the SSQA,otherwise I'd have stuck with 4 tractors...

Jay

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
IÂ’m curious why anyone would switch out subframes going from FEL to front snowblower. That seems like a lot of work. When I got my B7300, it only came with a B2650 front mount snowblower and associated subframe. When I bought a new LA272 FEL, the dealer took off the blower subframe and installed the FEL subframe. As a result, I lost the two holes that bolted up the mid frame snowblower and PTO extension mounts. The snowblower instruction manual showed in the case of a tractor with FEL, drill two holes in the lower front section of the FEL subframe to allow for the mid frame blower mounts and PTO extension. The measurements in the manual were perfect. I use the same hydraulic valve to raise and lower blower as the FEL. Six bolts to install and take off blower and two pins to take off or install FEL. Maybe takes 30 minutes if I take my time but IÂ’ve done it in fifteen when I needed FEL mid winter to move logs from a fallen tree.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
OK....I know it's a losing battle but I'll post my views to help keep the sinking ship afloat for just a bit longer. :)
I've had a Lorenz rear mounted blower for 30 years now. I use a wide mirror mounted in front and above me to view the blower and path behind me without turning around or twisting my neck. I've never had a sore neck or run into anything going forwards or backwards. With a pusher blade on the front for light dustings of snow and blower on the back for heavy snowfalls this works great. This ain't the banana belt, North Dakota has it's fair share of long winters and heavy snowfalls. Like others have said, it all depends on your individual situations and what you need or want. In my situation I don't need a front mount, nor would I want one for a variety of reasons. They would just be more of a hassle for me.....just as a rear mount blower might not be the best choice for others. I will say that without a mirror and spending hours on the tractor looking over one's shoulder it would get unpleasant. But the price of a mirror is no where close to the additional price of a front mount blower and it gives a much better view than a back up camera and screen. Again, it all depends on your site, whether you want one or need one or the other, and of course how much your willing to spend (whether you need to or not). :D

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Rear snowblower and fel combo works for me (grand L4060). I have a 1000 foot driveway, fairly straight. I sit side-saddle, but if you tell anyone I'll deny it:D This involves swinging the seat to the right, sitting so that you're facing the right side door, and using your left foot for acceleration. And voila, you don't have to turn all the way around.

The fel is great for slushy snow, or to dig into the ice that gets heaped at the end of the driveway by the plow. Sometimes it snows when I'm at work, and by the time I get home there's already a chunk there that the snowblower rides up onto.

The fel is also great for making snow forts and sliding hills.....for the kids of course. :rolleyes:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
200mph

I have a 2019 B2601 with QuikTach FEL. Are you saying that the sub frame attachment structure for the snow blower can remain in place when the FEL is reconnected? I have a 3pt. brush hog, so I'm not going to be using the center PTO for a mower. Will the shaft just remain connected, to stay up and out of the way? Do you have photos of this configuration?
Snows commin' and I'd love to know I could QuickTach my FEL if necessary.
For specific tractor/FEL combinations it is possible. Both quickhitch and FEL could be mounted simultaneously on the L3130 with LA723 FEL. I currently have both the quickhitch and FEL mounted on the L4740 as I start to get ready for the winter months.

The driveshaft from the mid PTO to the quick attach (subframe) can remain connected.

I cannot comment on your specific combination as I have no experience with it.

It's too dark to take a picture now.

Side note about Duck bill type quick attach:
B-Series: It is very easy to attach the quick attach (subframe) to the tractor. If you have the physical strength to lift the front of it in place its a 5 minute job to make it fully functional. I just did it last weekend on a B3030 to get my Dad's tractor ready for winter duty.

L-Series: Quick attach is a bit more involved because the structure is so long and heavy, but using the hydraulics there is no need to lift it in place manually. It helps tremendously if two people are available. One person to drive and the other to guide. It's nearly impossible to see right in front of the tractor where the front attaches. It can be done in 15 minutes.

Added in edit on 10/29/19:
Requested photos added. See below for QA on L4740-3 with FEL

Attachments

Last edited: