GR2010 Gas loses power on uneven or hilly terrain

50Somethingalready

Equipment
GR2010
Sep 6, 2019
Amsterdam, NY
Hello-new to the site and trying to diagnose what’s wrong with my lawn tractor. Bought a Kubota GR2010 with just over 600 hours and it bogs down when I drive up a hill or uneven terrain. If I’m going down a hill it’s running great with or without PTO. Up a hill or angled grade feels like it could stall with or without PTO. I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump assembly which attaches to head assembly and valve springs (figured it might’ve been the diaphragm pump gone bad). I’ve dumped plenty of fuel preservative, marvel mystery oil, etc., the past few weeks trying to get it right, and have only used 91 octane/ethanol free fuel. Any ideas or suggestion welcomed. Thanks again for reading.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe you might check your fuel filters,, just a thought

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It sounds like a fuel restriction or delivery pump issue that only occurs in that situation.

You can get a fuel tank and rig up a remote location above the engine and see if gravity feed solves the problem. Motorcycle mechanics use them when they have to remove the gas tank so there are commercial versions available.

Have you looked into the fuel line route to see if it gets pinched somewhere along its path? It may only get pinched in the situation where you have trouble so look closely at any point where it is close between a stationary point and the engine or other objects that can move.

Does it use a pulse pump to deliver the fuel to the carburetor? If so you can replace that if you have not already done so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50Somethingalready

Equipment
GR2010
Sep 6, 2019
Amsterdam, NY
Thanks for the replies. All filters have been replaced. Pulse pump replaced. Next thought would be to check lines but if lines were clogged wouldn’t that affect operation on flat terrain? The fuel filter isn’t upside down or horizontal either. Read on some threads where the low power was thought to be because fuel filter was in the incorrect position.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have any obstruction in the fuel tank the uneven or hill terrain could stir up the problem and cause the fuel volume to choke down.

50Somethingalready

Equipment
GR2010
Sep 6, 2019
Amsterdam, NY
If you have any obstruction in the fuel tank the uneven or hill terrain could stir up the problem and cause the fuel volume to choke down.
Thanks again. I tried an experiment. I filled fuel tank full as I could get leaving 3 inches in neck of tank leading to cap. Full throttle with no PTO runs great no power reduction up and down hill, and even in reverse. Does this rule out fuel system clog possibility? PTO engages and uphill engine almost stalls. I have to back off throttle to keep from stalling to let engine catch-up. I can even almost go uphill in reverse better than forward but engine still bogs down even in reverse. Not sure this helps the cause but I am thinking the transmission might be an issue? Is there a forward drive setting that could be adjusted? Guessing now. I can always look at fuel tank but with

50Somethingalready

Equipment
GR2010
Sep 6, 2019
Amsterdam, NY
I’m going the carburetor route. Since there’s no power issue when PTO is off either uphill or downhill maybe it’s the float or clogged port in carb. Will keep posted.

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
B7510 with loader and BH4672 backhoe, JD400 industrial Backhoe, B6100.
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
Check that the crankcase venting is exactly as it should be. Blockage OR extra venting like a cracked elbow, valve cover, gasket etc will reduce the output of the pulse pump. Seen this a number of times on various brands.

This sounds like insufficient fuel flow, without load there is enough flow to keep the fuel bowl full but under load it is running low and on a hill, starving the main jet.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Operator presence sensor?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
The only one I ever ran was my dad's JD mower. The OPC only made the engine cut out when the PTO was on. A lot of folks have issues with them on inclines because they shift their weight and the sensor goes intermittent.

50Somethingalready

Equipment
GR2010
Sep 6, 2019
Amsterdam, NY
Carburetor replaced but still bogging down with pto going uphill or uneven grades. I had previously disabled the operator presence sensor under seat but I reconnected to see if there’s any fluctuation and it seemed to run a tad better uphill (with PTO) but it still bogs down. I’m really confused now. Still runs perfect without PTO engaged up and down hill despite having operator presence sensor bypassed or active.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Refer to post #5. I'm saying you have some trash blocking your fuel line and at times it is relocated causing the restriction and power loss.

Get you another fuel tank, like from a boat and hook it up for a test run to see what happens.

50Somethingalready

Equipment
GR2010
Sep 6, 2019
Amsterdam, NY
Refer to post #5. I'm saying you have some trash blocking your fuel line and at times it is relocated causing the restriction and power loss.

Get you another fuel tank, like from a boat and hook it up for a test run to see what happens.
Thanks again, slowly weeding my way thru this. I replaced the plugs but didnt correctly check plug for spark on both sides. One sparks, the other doesnt. I switched out plugs reverse with the one from other side that sparked and it also sparked on the good side. Before changing fuel tank I ordered two new coils and plug wires so we will see if Ive been running with one cylinder. Removing the engine shroud isnt easy but worth a try. Tank is next...

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Does the engine "surge" when it's losing power? IF yes...fuel starvation. If no, look elsewhere. Coils, plugs, wiring, valve clearance, etc.

50Somethingalready

Equipment
GR2010
Sep 6, 2019
Amsterdam, NY
It was the coil on one of the cylinders. No spark on the one side so I was running only 1 cylinder. Was a bear to remove shroud and get it done, but when I fired it up it went uphill with PTO no problem. Learned a lot about the process and my tractor and glad I didnt have to pay someone else to do it. Thanks everyone for the assist.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Glad you got it figured out.

Thank you for posting the information on what fixed the problem.

Since we mostly talk diesel here we get fixated on fuel and neglect the ignition on gas engines being a possible problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Years back I had a neighbor with a relatively new IH Cub tractor he used for mowing. When he would come up a slope in his front yard the tractor would cough and die every time. He tinkered with it and then took it to the dealer. The dealer went through the carburetor and sent it home with a $300 bill.

I was with him when he picked it up, and he was excited about getting to use it. Well it did the exact same thing as when he took it in. He eventually replaced an $8 coil, and it ran like it should.

Your solution reminded me of his situation.