Lug Nuts Too Tight

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I am having a terrible time getting the lug nuts off the rear tires of my L3560. I want to put on wheel spacers and have tried two different air impact guns, breaker bar and breaker bar with a pipe on it, almost bent or broke the breaker bar! I checked the manual and it says 100 ft. lbs. for the lug nuts, I guarantee it is much more than that!! I should shoot it with liquid wrench or something, but got worn out today, I'll try that tomorrow. Any other thoughts or suggestions are quite welcome.

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
Shoot them with penetrating oil today, take them off easier tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am having a terrible time getting the lug nuts off the rear tires of my L3560. I want to put on wheel spacers and have tried two different air impact guns, breaker bar and breaker bar with a pipe on it, almost bent or broke the breaker bar! I checked the manual and it says 100 ft. lbs. for the lug nuts, I guarantee it is much more than that!! I should shoot it with liquid wrench or something, but got worn out today, I'll try that tomorrow. Any other thoughts or suggestions are quite welcome.
A GOOD impact wrench will take them off if you have 150+ psi air and a 3/8"+ hose. Otherwise a GOOD late model electric impact will probably take them off if you have good, properly charged batteries.

Not uncommon as dealers are required to check the torque on lug nuts during PDI but they are lazy. I know of no dealers who actually use a torque wrench to do it properly. Rather they use a big impact wrench and sock them down as tight as possible.

I have seen broken wheel studs as a result.

SDT

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
There are two 1/2" battery impact guns that I'd bet would do the job. Milwaukee High Torque or Dewalt DCF899. We did a head-to-head with these two and they tied. The test was lug nuts on a 10K telehandler. Before these impacts came along, the reliable method was a breaker bar with a cheater.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Thanks for the replies. Just an update on my progress, I sprayed the lugs with PB Blaster and banged each one on both rear tires with the flat on a ball peen hammer. I let them sit for a short while then tried the impact hammer again. That did nothing but it did vibrate the nuts really good. I found a extra heavy duty extension for the breaker bar that was just long enough to reach outside the wheel so I could get a 4' pipe on it and BANG each one on the one wheel I have been working on snapped free and sent the breaker bar and socket flying when it broke loose. I'll finish up later when things have soaked in the Blaster and put on the 3" wheel spacers. That'll keep me more stable on my hill sides!

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Heat helps too sometimes. Everything comes loose with my 5' cheater on the breaker bar.

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Working on many cars over the years and a blowtorch and heat has always loosened the most stubborn of nuts what ever the size.........would not do paint much good though but that can be re-done.
Glad you sorted it, i bet when they came free you jumped!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For safety and better leverage, you may be able to put a 6x6 block of wood directly under the extension where it connects to the breaker bar to hold that joint. Then you can much more easily put added pressure on the far end of your cheater bar. It may save your chiropractor bill!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Reminds me of the time when Amy and I were changing out a front spring on one of my Freightliner tractors. I had her underneath holding the breaker bar an socket on the nut and I was on the end of the breaker bar with a pipe. Keep in mind this is a 3/4" drive breaker bar and 3/4" drive socket. I got on the pipe (was 4 feet long) and the socket split on two and went across her forehead. She still has a scar from that.

Not long after I invested in an Ingersol Rand 3/4 drive impact gun and an IR 1/2" drive Thundergun. If the Thundergun won't break a nut loose (1500 foot pounds of breaking torque, the 3/4 drive gun will (2500 foot pounds breakaway torque). Takes a big compressor though. I only run my compressor(s) at 135 psi. They last longer that way. It's the available CFM more than static pressure that develops power in an impact gun. I have almost 30 CFM available.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Carl in France, welcome to the forum, I thought about heat but I'm stubborn, use the tools on hand that usually work before melting off the paint. D2Cat, That's a great idea on the 6X6, I'll have to do that on the other wheel for sure. SidecarFlip, like I said before, I'm stubborn and really don't want to buy more tools (that's a lie, wife said use what you got) and I was going to ask my neighbor for help, he has the BEST tools, but thought the PB Blaster would be a good attempt and glad I did. Thanks to all who came up with the helpful ideas and suggestions.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
For safety and better leverage, you may be able to put a 6x6 block of wood directly under the extension where it connects to the breaker bar to hold that joint. Then you can much more easily put added pressure on the far end of your cheater bar. It may save your chiropractor bill!
Maybe use a jack stand, just to make your leverage point more stable. And it would be adjustable in height in order to keep your extension closer to level.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Maybe use a jack stand, just to make your leverage point more stable. And it would be adjustable in height in order to keep your extension closer to level.
Good idea! I will remember that moving forward. Also I have an Ingersoll Rand W7150 1/2” impact gun. Removed 1 1/8” or so lug nuts off of a Humvee fresh from Iraq. Highly recommend even though they are expensive you will never need an air compressor. I have the IR Nut driver to and it hits hard too. Good luck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
take the tractor back to the dealer and have the salesguy AND manager remove the nuts , when they go for the air gun, disconnect the line and say 'hand tools only'.....

father did that 50+ years ago to the jerk 'mechanics' that 'burbed ' on the wheels of moms 67 stang

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
take the tractor back to the dealer and have the salesguy AND manager remove the nuts , when they go for the air gun, disconnect the line and say 'hand tools only'.....

father did that 50+ years ago to the jerk 'mechanics' that 'burbed ' on the wheels of moms 67 stang
I love the idea but in this day and age in 6 months the people will not be working there. So they do not care how mad you get. They got your money once and they do not worry about getting your money the second time.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I love the idea but in this day and age in 6 months the people will not be working there. So they do not care how mad you get. They got your money once and they do not worry about getting your money the second time.
Bingo, BigG.

SDT

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
If you want the most from an impact, you CANNOT use an extension on it. The extension simply absorbs the hammer blows rendering the impact virtually useless. Try it without an extension and you will be amazed.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As I recall back in the early days of my attendance in OTT, this was brought up or something along these lines maybe rusted nuts. At any rate some one came up with an old farmers trick, heat it up real warm and then touch a candle to the threaded part. The wax is suppose to wick it self down the threads and help lubricate things. Does it work I dunno :confused:, just thought Id toss it out there

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
As I recall back in the early days of my attendance in OTT, this was brought up or something along these lines maybe rusted nuts. At any rate some one came up with an old farmers trick, heat it up real warm and then touch a candle to the threaded part. The wax is suppose to wick it self down the threads and help lubricate things. Does it work I dunno :confused:, just thought Id toss it out there
The wax trick is effective on rusted bolts.

The problem here is over tightening. Not so effective in such cases.

SDT

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I didn't use an extension on the impact hammer, direct with socket. The PB Blaster worked like a charm with the breaker bar on an extension and a 4' pipe on the breaker bar. I put fluid film on the threads and surface when I put things back together and torqued the bolts to 100 ft. lbs. as stated in the manual.