Pulling down a huge stump with mini tractor... Video*

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Huge stump? Looked like not much left too it and only half of it made it to the pile. Don’t mean to be a flip but my case 224 garden tractor coulda pulled that :confused:

Hooverscon

Jun 24, 2018
USA
Haha yeah I know... I am going to doing a comparison video between by b6000 and a 4-wheeler but a saw an opportunity haha.
I live in a swampy area so I want to see how good they are. My friends argue that I should get a 4-wheeler for the farm to help with gardens and food plots... I don't think anything beats a mini tractor!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Your tractor is better off for your use then the quad. Last stump I pulled took the truck and tractor.

Dug up

Tractor pushing up to get chain under stump to get the right pull,back hoe dug into ground to keep tractor from falling into the hole

Little more weight and hp to get it out the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Think I'd have put a blanket or a tarp on the chain in both pictures. Nothing worse than a broken chain coming at your truck or your back at warp speed to do a lot of damage to your truck or your back. Not that the stump would have broken a chain. You probably could have pushed it over by hand, was totally rotted.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I quit fooling with stumps a while ago. I call the local tree guy and he comes with his stump machine and grinds them below grade and I cover them up. Charges me 50 cents an inch of diameter.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Think I'd have put a blanket or a tarp on the chain in both pictures. Nothing worse than a broken chain coming at your truck or your back at warp speed to do a lot of damage to your truck or your back.

That’s NOT a chain
Its a strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks like a chain on the rotten stump to me. A strap on the big stump. Even a strap can be a zinger if it breaks in the middle.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Think I'd have put a blanket or a tarp on the chain in both pictures. Nothing worse than a broken chain coming at your truck or your back at warp speed to do a lot of damage to your truck or your back. Not that the stump would have broken a chain. You probably could have pushed it over by hand, was totally rotted.
I've broken a lot of chains pulling downed trees, stuck trucks and stuck dozers. and never had one snap or recoil. Actually once a link fails and opens up, the load on the chain is released and the chain just falls to the ground like a wet noodle.
Broke a few cables too, tow cables and hoist and drag cables on a dragline. As the cable progressively fails it unloads and the weave unwinds, but I never had one snap back more than a few feet.

Straps are a different animal because they stretch considerably when loaded and can snap back when they fail.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If the stump grinder man actually charges .50 per inch dia. he doesn't think much of him time, fuel, truck or machine!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I've broken a lot of chains pulling downed trees, stuck trucks and stuck dozers. and never had one snap or recoil. Actually once a link fails and opens up, the load on the chain is released and the chain just falls to the ground like a wet noodle.
Broke a few cables too, tow cables and hoist and drag cables on a dragline. As the cable progressively fails it unloads and the weave unwinds, but I never had one snap back more than a few feet.

Straps are a different animal because they stretch considerably when loaded and can snap back when they fail.
I had a very close call with what flip is talking about. Doing something stupid and shouldn’t have been. Got my truck stuck and used the tractor to pull it out, chain on the draw bar of the tractor and other end on the tow hook on the front of the truck. Tried to pull easy on it and it didn’t budge (was pouring and needed to get truck out before it really got wet). Backed the tractor up and took a run at it to jerk it out, ripped the tow hook off the truck, my SMV sign on the tractor took the hit and shattered saving it from hitting me.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I quit fooling with stumps a while ago. I call the local tree guy and he comes with his stump machine and grinds them below grade and I cover them up. Charges me 50 cents an inch of diameter.
Kind of surprised you dont own a 2000 HP turbine powered stump annihilator custom built with Valerian Steel teeth.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
dlsmith,,, we must be useing different chains. I broke one and it flew into the tailgate of my f250. Cost me 370 dollars to get it fixed. next time it happened, I just left the damage, it's still there.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I too, was always under the impression that it was impossible for a chain to store energy....as in a stretched rubber snubber, rope, or tow strap.....so when it broke or snapped it would basically go bang and fail and fall harmlessly. A google search came up with this video to illustrate what happens or could happen when a loaded chain reaches its limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBOlK1oEXY

This video changed forever what I had formerly believed. New respect gained for using a chain properly to tow or pull on an object.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
An dat chillins is why you put a heavy blanket or mat over them

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As an offroader/rock crawler I have been present at the breaking of dozens (maybe hundreds) of chains, cables, straps, seat belts, ropes, industrial lifting slings, etc over the years. I have seen broken chains take out back windows, dent sheet metal, break out teeth, break fingers, and in one case go completely through a tailgate.
Having said that, I have noted that the heavier chain, (3/8" link wire or larger) seem to fly shorter & with less energy. I think it is just because they are so heavy, they just drop. One might think that the heavier chain will store more energy than the light chain, but I have not found this to be true. The lightest chains seem to be the most likely to store energy and do damage when they break. Your results may vary.

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
i was terrified just watchin, i kept thinking that old dead rotten stump is going to spring back and put him into a low altitude orbit :rolleyes:

the chain deal, i have always tried to put something to deaden it regardless