MX5100 rubber boot around gear shift popping off

lsutigers

Equipment
Mx5100
Sep 3, 2019
Cottonport
Hello---

New here and could really use some help. My family has some hunting land and we use a Kubota Mx5100 for plots and cutting. Within the last couple of months the rubber boot around the gear shifter on the floor keeps popping off. Yesterday it popped off twice while I used it within 2 hours. the second time it popped off I decided enough was enough and went park it at the camp. The second time it came off the hydraulic fluid was spraying out from the gear shifter port and was boiling hot with steam coming out.

Can anyone give me some info on why it keeps popping off? How can I add hydraulic fluid so I can replace the fluid that was lost?

Any other ideas would be appreciated as I'm not a skilled mechanic when dealing with tractors.

Thanks

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Are you leaving this tractor parked out side? Do you know how to check the level of your transmission fluid? How old is the machine? Since you stated that there was steam coming out of the shifter opening I think I would check for water in the transmission fluid. The water maybe turning to steam which will expand and find a way out of the enclosed space of the transmission, popping the boot off.

I am not familiar with your machine. Is the boot a force fit around the transmission opening? If it is weathered or stretched out of shape you will need to replace the boot.

lsutigers

Equipment
Mx5100
Sep 3, 2019
Cottonport
it is outside but under cover.

can i use the glass bubble on the back of the tractor by the pto to check fluid?

tractor is 2014

fluid in the bubble looks to be the correct color...not milky looking

boot is just a force fit over gear shift base. it is not stretched out

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
On both my M's there is a metal spring retaining ring that secures the boot to the shift boss.

lsutigers

Equipment
Mx5100
Sep 3, 2019
Cottonport
Thanks for the reply.....I have no idea if mine ever had a spring or suppose to have a spring. Guess I need to check into this

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I was just reading another posting and they brought up the question of a vent for the transmission. If you have one it may be blocked causing the pressure build up in your transmission and forcing the boot off.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The "boot" on your is more of a press fit seal, it's probably just shrunk down so it's not sealing.
Clean the housing and the seal with brake part cleaner then use a little RTV or Loctite on the seal and reinstall it.

Check the vent under the seat for any obstruction to it.