Ballast for L200

FreddyWestside

Equipment
L200
Aug 18, 2019
Brinnon, Wa
I think I'm a little wider than that in the front, but I'm definitely lighter. I think this tractor is under 3 with the bucket and a rotund driver.

I should be clear that I didn't ever feel like I was going to tip forward on my rides, especially with the bucket as an e-brake, I was uncomfortable because I didn't feel like I had enough control in my speed or steering. A lot of guys probably would have gotten a thrill out of the ride but I'm not going to put myself in a situation where I'm crossing my fingers on top of 2 tons of steel and dirt.

FreddyWestside

Equipment
L200
Aug 18, 2019
Brinnon, Wa
Update:

I did some work on my flat orchard and drove around the roads a little. On the hill I was most concerned about I didn't feel like there was any risk of tipping forward, at least with an empty loader low to the ground, but I definitely lost traction. I was in the lowest gear and the tractor was moving faster than the tires by the time I got to the bottom.

I'm going to stick to flat terrain until I get the ROPS installed and then experiment a little with weight on the 3pt with a carryall or brush hog. If I don't like the way that feels I'll look into wheel weights or filling the wheels.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I am going to say something that is counter-intuitive. Use a higher gear. I grew up in south eastern Ohio. There are some pretty steep hills there. I have learned from watching my dad, who was a heavy equipment operator, not to control the decent of a machine by trying to hold it back with a low gear and idle speed. Instead there is a speed that the rear wheels will roll down the hill instead of sliding or turning backwards, which means you are out of control. Driving down the hill maybe a simple as giving a little throttle to keep the wheels from sliding. There was a hay field that was on the hill top.The road out was very steep. If you tried low gear and idle speed the wagon would push the tractor down the hill, sliding with the wheels spinning backwards. If you would bump it up a gear the tractor come down quickly but you could steer it. It takes a lot of nerve but it is better to drive your way down a steep hill and not slide. Just in case you get into that predicament again. Everything that is inside you will tell you to hit the brakes which makes it worse.

FreddyWestside

Equipment
L200
Aug 18, 2019
Brinnon, Wa
I am going to say something that is counter-intuitive. Use a higher gear. I grew up in south eastern Ohio. There are some pretty steep hills there. I have learned from watching my dad, who was a heavy equipment operator, not to control the decent of a machine by trying to hold it back with a low gear and idle speed. Instead there is a speed that the rear wheels will roll down the hill instead of sliding or turning backwards, which means you are out of control. Driving down the hill maybe a simple as giving a little throttle to keep the wheels from sliding. There was a hay field that was on the hill top.The road out was very steep. If you tried low gear and idle speed the wagon would push the tractor down the hill, sliding with the wheels spinning backwards. If you would bump it up a gear the tractor come down quickly but you could steer it. It takes a lot of nerve but it is better to drive your way down a steep hill and not slide. Just in case you get into that predicament again. Everything that is inside you will tell you to hit the brakes which makes it worse.
I think you're right. I figured this out myself on some gentler inclines, a steady 4th felt a lot safer than losing control in 2nd. The hill where I feel the least safe happens to have a turn before it flattens out so I'm not prepared to go down any faster without a ROPS. Once I have that installed I should have a little more nerve and try it in second to see if it feels more sure-footed.

I'm also learning to just keep my foot off the brake because it won't actually stop me and it makes it so much easier to panic and do something unsafe.