L1-18 grey market tractor

loucorm

Equipment
Grey market L1-18
Hello fellow tractor enthusiasts!
I purchased this gem of a tractor a few years ago. This year, I started it up, depressed the clutch pedal and shift the steering column lever into forward or reverse and no luck! The transmission only grinds and will not slip into gear. I’ve read a few posts and came to the conclusion that the issue could be a release bearing? Or a stuck clutch plate to the flywheel?
I’m contemplating “splitting” the bell house to get a better idea of what the issue may be? The engine clock indicates 756hrs. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance to all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it sits for any length of time you must prop the clutch pedal so it's engaged to keep the clutch disk from rusting and sticking to the pressure plate and flywheel.

Before you tear into it, if you have a PTO power implement like a tiller or mower, take it out and work it hard, and try pushing in the clutch pedal in and out while working it.
The other trick is to park it up against an immovable object and try and break the clutch free that way.

loucorm

Equipment
Grey market L1-18
Thanks wolfman

I have no pto implements, so I attempted the other suggestion. No luck so far.
On the right side of the bell housing, there’s a oval shaped inspection cover? I removed the two bolts and had a look. The flywheel and pressure plate are somewhat visible.... I then got in the seat and proceeded to start the engine. A fair amount of rust coloured water spewed from this inspection opening. I’m guessing that this is not normal? Should the bottom of the bell housing not be equipped with a drain hole so any moisture could drain as needed?
The tractor had been parked outside with a tarp covering it, an I just now read that the clutch pedal needs to be locked to the disengaged position.
I’m assuming the clutch must be rusted and stuck to the pressure plate and flywheel.....
Is there any other suggestions of freeing this, or its likely I’ll need to split the tractor and replace these components?
Thanks in advance for any and all information I could get in resolving this matter.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If I recall correctly there are some articles (look at the website on a computer) on this stuck clutch problem, there are several methods to unstick the clutch plate. I don’t recall what they are off hand but they all involve putting stress through the clutch and then pushing the clutch pedal down. Some involve towing the tractor and popping the clutch if I recall.

There are open drains in some tractors but most grey market tractors were designed for use in rice paddies so had no open drain so had a plug to remove to drain the water out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk