Back Blade Plowing

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
Hey guys, just wondering how many guys use a back blade to plow along with a FEL and I'm thinking it will save a lot of time. I am using my BX1880 god the first season and trying to figure out the fasted easy to get my drive way done.

And if you do use a back blade do you go in reverse or forward? I know it sounds dumb but just wondering what's easier.

Thanks

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Have noted posts where back blade is popular for pulling snow away from structures. My scenario works but blade rotation 180 degrees, is not an option. Does rotate 30 degrees L or R. If used for any distance, a BB may scalp w/o skid shoes. Unless paved, gravel/stone drives benefit from a frozen surface. BB offers added ballast weight.

Attachments

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Used FEL / back blade for years and all have had 360 degree rotation. When I had a gravel drive it worked to use the blade so the snow I was plowing was pushed by the back side of the blade till the base froze. Smaller snows allowed me to drive forward with the blade at an angle so the snow was cast aside. For deep or drifted snow I'd push backwards with the tractor. Going forward with deep snow made the snow accumulate between the blade and the tractor and got jammed there.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
If tractor is moving forward generally the blade edge is pointed forward. You can swing it around and try moving forward with the blade edge pointed backward. You can also move tractor backward and have the blade pointing forward. Some use this to redistribute dirt on the crown of a road without digging out additional material by accident.

Just dont move tractor backward with rear blade edge pointed backwards. That is an easy way to bend the blade up.

My advice is to try and them and see what works for you. Rear blades are definitely used for snow "redistribution".

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Used FEL / back blade for years and all have had 360 degree rotation. When I had a gravel drive it worked to use the blade so the snow I was plowing was pushed by the back side of the blade till the base froze. Smaller snows allowed me to drive forward with the blade at an angle so the snow was cast aside. For deep or drifted snow I'd push backwards with the tractor. Going forward with deep snow made the snow accumulate between the blade and the tractor and got jammed there.
This! Chim nailed it. Works great.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have a 1,000' gravel driveway with a steep hill and I have used a front plow blade on my Kubota with a rear grading blade as a back-up to catch the drift from the front as well as when the road is not frozen I use it backwards to push the snow without digging up the gravel in the driveway.

Attachments

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
Thanks guys. Just dug out the 5" foot black blade from my old 8n in the back yard. We had wet heavy snow yesterday and didn't like working it that hard before my 50 hrs so this will make it easier I hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
Now I have to make a scraper edge for my FEL, I seen guys use a piece of hardwood and I guess it lasts

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have a 1,000' gravel driveway with a steep hill and I have used a front plow blade on my Kubota with a rear grading blade as a back-up to catch the drift from the front as well as when the road is not frozen I use it backwards to push the snow without digging up the gravel in the driveway.
I really like that front blade. I am on a bucket right now, snow blade will be my next winter purchase.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I really like that front blade. I am on a bucket right now, snow blade will be my next winter purchase.
I got rid of my plow trucks as they rotted out all the time. Now I just use the Kubota on my own drive, no one else's place. I got this plow from Quick Attach, made in MN, great quality.

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
I'm new at this too with a BX2680.
Thursday with 6" on the ground I used the FEL to push snow out of the way and a back blade turned around 180 degrees all the way to the ground and angled on a mostly dirt/slightly graveled driveway. Worked nicely although several passes were needed.

majorwager

Equipment
Jajiu,

Do you have a photo of the plow? Would you share cost?

Chim,
Did you build you own snow pusher ??

Paluch,

Saw a member suggest trex or other synthetic, composite, deck material for use a scraper edge.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Jajiu,

majorwager, I purchased that plow from QuickAttach.com. It cost $2670.00 and I went for the wing kit to make it a pusher for another $295.00. All total with flat faced connectors and free shipping (negotiated) it was $3090.00. As for the pictures I don't have any of just the plow, but here are a few I have of it on the tractor. By the way, that is quite a rear blade you have. It looks like a front plow, what's the story on that? Looks rugged!

Attachments

majorwager

Equipment
Jajiu,

That is a nice unit, thanks for sharing.

Mine is indeed a plow designed for FEL mount. I do not have a 3rd function on the Kubota so I mounted on the 3 point. I use a snow pusher on the FEL w/ rubber cutting edge. My plow is a titan, S-200, 79 inch, titan shipping always included.

The titan uses a single cylinder, not the typical duel slave type, not sure if the two methods are equal. We have some snow but it is scheduled to melt soon so did not do any testing. Time will determine the investment value.

Plow does NOT have wings or skid shoes. For summer driveway grading, I like the wide skid shoes on the pusher, no crown issues w/ the drive but the skid shoes would offer the option of needed.

Honestly, hoping for a short or warmer winter, or both. !!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
One word of caution when pushing a rear blade in reverse with BX machines, those turnbuckles (check chains) for the lower 3pt hitch can get beat up fairly easily.

I'm unsure if the newer BX machines use the same style as my old BX23, if they do, then get some spares. Three point hitches are made for pulling, not pushing. I used to use a chain that tied the two ends of the lower arms together to prevent them from trying to spread. Yes, the pins on the rear blade are supposed to keep the lower arms from spreading, but the turnbuckles still got bent up easily. Could possibly be due to the rather large 6 foot blade I had.

When the rear blade is being pushed in reverse at an angle, it puts a lot of stress on those turnbuckles.

I will say that I like the setup on the B2650 with the adjustable gear instead of turnbuckle style hardware.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
majorwager, this plow only has the one ram, it is heavy and working a gravel drive is tough until frozen solid. It also has an option to put pins or bolts thru to lock the trip and use as a dozer blade for light materials. I too am hoping for a mild winter as I tore my rotator cuff and need surgery. I am putting it off until late March or early April so not to deal with the snow while cripple.

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
Jajiu,

Chim,

Did you build you own snow pusher ??

Paluch,

Saw a member suggest trex or other synthetic, composite, deck material for use a scraper edge.

I never thought of trex. I wonder how tough it is and if will last a season I looked up a poly edge and see how much a piece of trex is.