Float mode... to use or not?

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Here's the scenario:

I have about 6 acres to bush hog and it's really tall stuff in a field I haven't mowed before (unkempt hay field). Normally, I would keep the loader on (BX2680) with the bucket low but have so far only done that with shorter stuff.
The thought occurred to me: Curl the bucket back all the way and put the loader in float mode while driving forward. If I hit something there won't be a jarring stop, just seeing the loader rise up would be a visual indicator of an obstruction. I'd be in 4x low range so not breaking any speed records.

Is this a good idea, a bad idea and why on either? Not breaking anything is kinda sorta high on the list!

Thank you for any insight.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Is it all grass,or is there brush mixed in? I personally wouldn’t float it but leave it pretty low with the hydraulic pressure on it. If the grass is thick/tall enough then it could push the bucket up high enough to miss something. I don’t ever float mine mowing in unknown ground.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
For new fields that have never been rotary cut before, I just usually do a quick walk through, looking for any barbed wire, steel fence posts, dumped trash, stumps and large rocks. Just flag anything you see dangerous to the rotary cutter; or even better yet, just remove with the loader to a collection area. Then Bush Hog to your delight and with confidence.

I think putting the front loader into float mode to detect any field debris is a very risky method. If your rotary cutter uses shear bolts, have a good supply available.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I recently mowed some unknown ground. I curled my bucket up and kept it as low as I could with the hydraulics engaged. I did not use float mode. I did locate a few stumps with my bucket and saved my cutter. Make sure to keep your speed low.

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
It's a pasture that has been mowed before, just not by me and not in the last year.

Thanks all, I'll skip the floating.

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
I was Bush Hogging once and on my 2nd pass was wondering what a small pile a trash was that I didn't see on my first pass, Well is was my Wallet :( Lol, Credit Cards and all cut up into fine pieces....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was Bush Hogging once and on my 2nd pass was wondering what a small pile a trash was that I didn't see on my first pass, Well is was my Wallet :( Lol, Credit Cards and all cut up into fine pieces....
There's a lesson there! When I'm using a tractor, or any digging equipment, I leave such valuables in my truck.

I once had a camouflage baseball cap that I had gotten from a tractor dealer that had his phone number on it. I made sure to use it when working the hay field so if I had trouble and needed parts I could just call and have it sent.

It was hot and I had a canopy so I took my cap and hung it on the loader levers. This is when I was baling. When I stopped for a break I couldn't find my cap.

The cows found it that winter !!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
i wouldnt float mode it for that....

dont like the idea of catching the bottom of the arms with the bucket curled up & those arms on the ground.

bucket is cheap compared with working on those.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I only have a few hours on mine and already lost a water bottle. I can see why everyone wants a tool box!