4x4 Front Wheels

jp2code

Equipment
L4400
Jun 9, 2017
LONGVIEW, TX
www.jp2code.net
I own a small BX2200 and a larger L4400.

I've got a couple of questions about the front wheels on my L4400 4x4 Kubota.

I've noticed that the front tires seem to lose just a little pressure over time, and often I find myself out in the mud somewhere, making a turn, when one of the front wheels will break the bead of the wheel very easily.

The front tires do not look low when I am out driving, so I just don't think to check them all the time.

When the bead breaks, it's a real hassle. I can't just air it back up, so I have to remove the wheel and take it somewhere to be reset. Usually, I work on weekends, so that means I'll have to stop my project, leave the tractor where ever the bead broke, and try to get to a tire shop on Monday.

I had the front tires foam-filled on my little Kubota yard tractor. It added about 100-lbs to each tire. The ride is stiffer, but it has not had ANY flats!

I'd like to get the front tires foam-filled on the L4400, too. This note in the owners manual has me concerned:

If you can't see the image, it says:

> Do not fill the front wheels with liquid to maintain steering control.

1. Would it be OK to fill them with foam?

The next question is about the way the front wheels are mounted.

My back wheels are spread out as wide as they can go, but the front end is still very narrow and often tips the tractor when I try to lift heavy objects or attempt to go down steep grades. The rear tire is actually in the air in the image below.

In the image below, at #1, you can see that the tires stick inside and that there is a note at #2 cautioning not to turn the front discs to obtain wider tread.

Why do they not want the front disks turned?

It seems like the wider tread would only provide benefit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Foam is not liquid, and yes it's fine to fill the front tires with foam.
One thing to note: Foam filled tire are also very hard on the front end and sudden jolts can break parts.

You can not widen the front end, it's way too hard on the hubs.
Widening will also not help with stability one bit (The front end pivots).

For your issue you need to add ballast to to the rear, either on the three point or, on or in the rear tires and rims. ;)