Driveways for bikes

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
Loosely tractor related driveway maintenance question for the masses; Mods please move this if it's better in a different area.
I've read many posts about maintaining gravel driveways, good advice for all but I'm dealing with something I've yet to read about so I'm looking for opinions. Here's the stats: 750' driveway, mostly dirt but at one time gravel so it's a mixture of the two but currently more dirt than gravel, 5-10% grade, maybe slightly more. When rutted or with potholes (which happens after every rain) I box blade it to smooth things out (yes I leave a crown) but never use the scarifiers because we ride Harleys and digging deep with scarifiers makes it too soft and squirrelly for my liking (I ride a 1000lb bagger, soft dirt ain't fun).
My question is this: is there a better way to maintain what we have that I'm not doing or am I stuck with either dealing with it as it is or going with 21a/paved/recycled asphalt/spend money I don't have?

Thanks in advance.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll just say hi this time since we already had a good discussion on FB. Didn't know you were on OTT as well. I hope you have good luck finding the solution to your driveway issues.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Our drive is a quarter mile long with an up hill grade in the middle. It is currently gravel/TB. When we moved in we had it topped off and rolled with recycled asphalt fines. That has worked fairly well for most of the drive, except the hill. There we have added more TB due to wash out. I plan on topping off with extra fine TB this summer.
I ride as well, Ducati***8217;s. Ruts and such are not street bike friendly!

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK you ride a bagger too,,, what I did was grade as much as I could and then put the fiber scarping down the drive. Im only about 400 feet so its not real bad,, than had 3 tri axles of 2A modified,, thats number 2 stone with lots of small stuff and dust, packed it as hard as I could and then topped it again,, no pot holes and solid. And like Pauly said highway millings work really well spread pack, spray with diesel fuel and pack again. No dropping a bagger aint no fun

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i found that using recycled, deep frier oil/grease works good to solidify dirt and fines into a nice hard surface.. i used a sprayer and coated the driveway during a couple nice hot days. during the summer, waiting a couple weeks between coats. it stopped most of the dust and the following winter we had no washouts or potholes form. ps: for those environmentalist, vegetable oil is bio degradable.....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I never thought about the use fry oil,,,, I might try that if I can get to it before the Bio Diesel guys do

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your property borders any water ways, or wetlands be very very caustious about using any diesel or waste oil as the fines can be out of this world, I'm talking in the 100 thousand range and clean up costs. ;)

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
Thanks all and glad to see fellow bikers on here :D

I had posted both here and Facebook as I didn't know who lurks where!

Good info everywhere, now I need to get moving on it before riding season is back in full force.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Crushed concrete makes a nice drive also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Loosely tractor related driveway maintenance question for the masses; Mods please move this if it's better in a different area.
I've read many posts about maintaining gravel driveways, good advice for all but I'm dealing with something I've yet to read about so I'm looking for opinions. Here's the stats: 750' driveway, mostly dirt but at one time gravel so it's a mixture of the two but currently more dirt than gravel, 5-10% grade, maybe slightly more. When rutted or with potholes (which happens after every rain) I box blade it to smooth things out (yes I leave a crown) but never use the scarifiers because we ride Harleys and digging deep with scarifiers makes it too soft and squirrelly for my liking (I ride a 1000lb bagger, soft dirt ain't fun).
My question is this: is there a better way to maintain what we have that I'm not doing or am I stuck with either dealing with it as it is or going with 21a/paved/recycled asphalt/spend money I don't have?

Thanks in advance.
Secret to a good gravel driveway? Dig out at least 4" of where you want the driveway. The more you remove the better - it all depends on your sub soil. If you have access to it put down at least 4" of 3/4" crusher run crushed limestone. Compact it well. Wait a year.

Next year spread about 1" deep of 1/4" crushed limestone screenings (with the stone dust)

Your driveway will look and feel paved and you only have to drag the blade once every spring for touchups.