L175 trans rebuild

tyrepros

Equipment
L175, Woods mower, Aerator, rake, kids rides
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Group,

Been using my L175 for years with a grinding pilot and or throwout bearing, Little reverse gear left and fear that it would all someday come to a screeching halt. It has not but I have amassed the parts I feel I need to rebuild the tranny including Main and reverse shafts, reverse gear, bearings, seals and a complete clutch setup.

Was thinking about sending the hard parts out to be Cryo-treated, but have been more concerened with making time and patience to split this unit both front and rear, lay it on a table and disect and rebuild it after a good cleaning.

Anyone have any pointers in doing so, any shortcuts or time savers in either the breakdown or rebuild, tooling or upgrading while in there...

Thanks,

Joe-NJ

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Joe,

Like Vic said replace all questionable parts; it is easier to do things once than several times.

I have neve been inside a tractors transnission, but I have rebuilt manual transmissions for pickup trucks, and a lot of gearboxes for gun mounts while in the Navy.

I wil be watching this thread for info; my L175 likes to pop out of reverse.

Robert

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Thanks Vic,

I will probably wait for spring to work on it as my shop is not heated;although waiting has drawbacks since this is my primary lawn mower. The Woods L59 cuts the best and most even of anything I have ever used.

Robert

tyrepros

Equipment
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Robert,

Whaddayathink? Should we dive into these while the time is right? Luckilly I work in my familys automotive shop and have a few young apprentices that I may trick into helping me. Got my manuals and parts, just not the experience. Splitting the unit is probably the most intimidating but not being under the gun, may make it actually interesting. Just getting tired of not being able to look behind me while holding it in reverse .

Joe

tyrepros

Equipment
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Vic,

Think you can scavenge me up some synchros to upgrade this tranny before I get into it? ; )

Joe

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Joe,

If you have the manuals, parts, and time to do it; now would be the perfect time to work on it. Just be careful when splitting the tractor, and maybe make some splitting stands to support it while you are working on it.

Good Luck,

Robert

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Guys. When I split my B7200 I also put blocks on the axle stops. Otherwise the front end will tilt sideways when you split it. Keep us posted. pics lots of pics.:cool::cool: Dusty

tyrepros

Equipment
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
So the tranny worked out well. Replaced most if the gears, bearings and seals. Its just nuts and bolts. Sourced gears everwhere I could. Part numbers are vital. Used tractor oil and it was noisey. Swapped back to gear oil and lucas and smooth sailing. The fork is more intimidating than difficult. Had one shaft down deep that was seized and had my machinest massage it smooth again so it glides over the pall with balls in it. Was not cost effective but its right and will last for another 50 years. Painted her up, upgraded steering gear and put on a rops. Up next, lights.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Tyrepros, you report back.....but it's been 10 years! What's new in 10 years?
Well, he gets an attaboy from me!

So often people never report back...who knows, maybe it took him nine years to put the tractor back together!:cool:

tyrepros

Equipment
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Um Yeah, i took the scenic route, lol. Took me a few to find all of the parts, had the gears sent in from around the world, Greece, etc. Had alot of it in stock and then got out on a few tangents, New Rops, paint, etc. Had the crash box on my back workbench and as I would get tired of people I would go back and fiddle around a bit with it as the split sat off in a corner of my shop for a time (flys). As always thanks for checking in and i say I let that post out in the breeze and it was time to update it. Vic found me some sweet genuine weight for the bumper and the L is back into service raking, aerating, cutting and doing those things it is so good at. Cheers Fellas.

Last edited: