Cell Phone mounts - Need Ideas

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Let me see what you are doing for Cell phone mounts on your orange. How are you handling the vibration and keeping your phone from bouncing off? In warm weather I throw it in my cargo shorts pocket and no worries. Winter it is in a jacket pocket, but those times where it is too cool for shorts but too warm for a jacket, what is your go to way to secure?

The cup holder on my B is behind the seat so that doesn't really work. High strength magnet to the ROPs and an adjustable mount there? Front pocket is an option but I'd rather not radiate the goods.

Arkon has some interesting mounts like https://www.arkon.com/product/SM688L22-seat-bolt-mount-iphone-6-plus-ipad-mini.html that are held in place by the seat bolt.

Last edited:

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I bought a cheap car mount from a local store for like $4 or something, one of the suction cup mounts. I stick it on the plastic part of the dash right behind the steering wheel. It has the spring-loaded pincher that holds the phone. It has a pretty tight grip, never a problem with it coming loose but if concerned about it you could throw a rubber band on it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I mounted this one to the plastic cover that goes around the joystick base, just one bolt.
It has rubber that captures the corners and holds it securely. Id prefer no phone distraction but sometimes im on call for work

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Wear bib overalls!!! http://www.workersworld.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1369
Those chest pockets are great for the phone and the wallet. My dad always carried his wallet in his buttoned pants pocket and then he lost it one fine day while plowing the garden. We found it but he always tucked the wallet into his shirt pocket after that.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Get RID of the cell phone !! Last thing you need is a DISTRACTION when operating a tractor !

Heck I turned OFF the ringer on the garage phone, if it's important they will leave a message.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I keep my cell phone in my pants pocket. I can't hear it ring or vibrate if I'm on the tractor - suits me. The phone is for my convenience not somebody else's. I wouldn't talk while using the tractor anyhow.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Good ideas. I've put it in my pocket (front and rear) and had it work its way out or just bind and be uncomfortable with the seatbelt on. Had not though about overalls. I may need to order up a pair or two. B737 I like how the phone is secured in your mount. Any issues in really cold weather? I wouldn't mind just picking up some of those silicone bands to help secure the phone in the holder.

I have a pair of noise cancellation headphones that are Blue Tooth I wear when mowing or running the tractor. I got tired of snagging the headphone cable and ripping it out of the headset or phone.

My concern with the suction cup or glue mount is with the durability and longevity. I have issues with suction mounts in my truck and that is a clean environment that is low vibration. I guess I could use a body molding tape to attach it as well.

This may require me to sit in the operators seat with a frosty adult beverage and contemplate configurations later today

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I didn't want the phone on me because stuff gets broken or falls out of pockets. So it just sits in the mount. The holder is for a bicycle so its very secure. The holder grabs it from the sides, then you just stretch the rubber around each corner so it's not going anywhere. It's in the link above. I think I modified the handle bar bracket to hold onto the tractor trim with a nut and bolt.

@greensvillejay I dont think anyone is taking calls here while on their machine but its nice to know if you missed an important call and need to stop what you're doing.

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Um when too worm for shorts, but too cold for jacket... I wear pants? My neighbors are pretty far off but I hadn’t tried mowing in my underwear...yet. [emoji2955] Anyway... Scoshe makes some powerful magnet mounts. I have the suction cup base mounted on the hood of my BX and one in my truck. Phone will stay put over some pretty bumpy ground on the BX even while mowing at WOT, although it does rotate which is annoying. I’ve been thinking about switching to a RAM mount on the BX. They are very well proven in extreme environments, including military and police applications. We have a RAM mount for our $500 marine GPS on a jet ski and it sees a lot rougher conditions than the tractor. I’ve never once had the slightest worry that it would come loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Get RID of the cell phone !! Last thing you need is a DISTRACTION when operating a tractor !

Heck I turned OFF the ringer on the garage phone, if it's important they will leave a message.
We dropped our land line around 8yrs ago and never looked back. Our new place doesn't even have phone jacks or service wired in. Easy enough to do if I absolutely had to. I just don't think it was worth spending the 2500 Century Link wanted to run a phone line from the road back to the house.

I have BT speakers in both garages so when I'm working out there, I can stream music from the phone as well but in this case, the phone is up on the shelf next to the speaker, not on me.

The phone is my source of tunes while I mow. If I need to text or take a call, I stop, and shut down if I need to talk. No way to hold a conversation on the B even with it at idle. +1 on letting it roll to a message. 99% of the time I can't hear it or feel it vibrate and the only way I know I have a voice mail is the ding that pauses the music. Technically I could do a hands free call with my headset but I would need to be off the tractor to hear and be heard.

Work phone stays in the house on the counter. At least with this version of iOS, you can have it automatically mute and send to VM any number that is not in your address book. Another option I use to let people know I will not respond to texts right away is the auto notification that I am driving and unable to respond. Texts are automatically muted so I'm not bothered. When I stop, I'll usually get them at that point.

If it is super important, the boss usually flags me down or brings the 4-wheeler out to where I'm working. I do have an old iPOD for tunes as well but would need a similar setup for holding it.

Tractor time is music and most likely a good cigar time for me. Great way to relax

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I mounted this one to the plastic cover that goes around the joystick base, just one bolt.

It has rubber that captures the corners and holds it securely. Id prefer no phone distraction but sometimes im on call for work

I like this placement a lot. I’m confused how you mounted it though. Looks like this mount has a handlebar “grip” style mount. Did you modify the mount to just use a single bolt?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
here's a better picture, i used two very short bolts through the plastic cover, backed with washers and lock nuts, there is a good bit of room behind. That cover is held on with a larger bolt and the body of the instrument panel so its all pretty tight.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
here's a better picture, i used two very short bolts through the plastic cover, backed with washers and lock nuts, there is a good bit of room behind. That cover is held on with a larger bolt and the body of the instrument panel so its all pretty tight.

Very cool. Thank you. Im going to try something similar with a RAM Mount base. Definitely more pricy, but the RAM Mounts have interchangeable parts, so it’s kind of future proof for future phones/mounts. If I’m going to drill, I’d like to only do it once.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Worst case you buy new trim cover for the joystick if something goes awry. Ram mounts are pretty stout and bulky, is there enough room?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I like that option, but do not have that setup on my B. Loader control is right next to the seat. I ordered one of the Arkon flexible mounts and will see how it works out for me.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

Hey, B737, thanks for sharing this photo and cell phone holder idea! With a little mod to the base this should work great for my phone on the B2650.
Great idea!!
David

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Find a cheap (inexpensive) ankle holster for a sub compact gun and put it on the ROPS. They come with a strap to go over the top of the pistol and that would hold a cell phone in place nicely.