Cutting 26 gauge galvanized sheet metal

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I need to make a number of fairly long cuts (ideally nice and straight).

I have snips (seems like a lot of work), a 10'' sheer (might be tough with sheet 48 x 120), circular saw (have a metal cutting blade though not sure if it's the right choice for this) or a 4 1/2' grinder with a metal cutting blade.

What say the experts?

edited sheer from 10 FEET to 10 inches!

Last edited:

techcrewkevin

Equipment
Kubota - my fathers, not mine. Always looking for ways to help improve it.
Feb 16, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I would strap a straight edge on that sheet, and use a metal nibbler.

Amazon probably has some cheap ones.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

BobbyK

Equipment
1995 B2400
May 20, 2018
Petrolia, Ontario
Last edited:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
26 ga?
A grinder with a metal blade or a shear will most likely give you the smoothest cut.
The circular saw will be faster but no nearly as neat.
It it was me, I would get a straight edge to clamp to the sheet and use the angle grinder with a cut off blade.
But you said you had a 10' shear? Wouldn't that be the cleanest and fastest?

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Thanks all. I do also have a nibbler but i had kind of ruled it out as it cuts a little circle that leaves a bit of a ragged edge. Not sure if it's just mine or if they all do that. Might have to try a little test.

The shear was my first thought but handling the big sheet made me wonder how that would work out. Getting an extra pair of hands is a good idea but is not so easy (or creates other issues). May have to think a little harder on how I could to manage that sheet. My shear is only 10 inches.

I lean a little to the angle grinder but it too has it's challenges - I guess any method of cutting loses the galvanization on the edge - yes?

Thanks.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been buying HF Bauer tools for a while now. Good stuff, have not broke one yet. Me, I'd use a straight edge and my Hypertherm Plasma cutter with Fine cut consumables.

Don't think you are gonna spend 5 grand to make one cut though....:D

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I always look to justify a new tool purchase with the rational the first use is less than I would pay a contractor so it's freebee! The powershears fits that very nicely; the plasma cutter (I considered a MUCH smaller one than yours Sidecar) has just never made it through that hurdle. Nice thought though.

Will have to do a little checking on a local version of the powershear (Princess Auto is our HF).

Thanks all.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have both the nibbler pictured and the Canadian Tire version of the power shears. The nibbler is great for curves, the power shears great for straight lines.

I also have a plasma cutter. It's just overkill for 26ga sheet metal.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
straight edge and a good utility knife, score it good, then snap it
I wondered if something like that was possible. Interesting idea.

I am kind of intrigued by the power sheer idea (I mean who doesn't want a new tool!). Any views as to air vs AC driven?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Find a fab shop or a HVAC business that has a shear and offer to pay them cash. This is such a simple and fast job that I'm sure you will find a place to take it on for 'beer money'. The HVAC shop would be the best bet because their shear would be set up for the thin 26 gauge commonly used for ducting. The edges will be superior to anything you can do by hand.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA

I am kind of intrigued by the power sheer idea (I mean who doesn't want a new tool!). Any views as to air vs AC driven?
If you are all invested in an air setup, this can cut tool cost sometimes. However the bosch/dewalt version of those electric shears are around $300. Even if the air version was half that, you'd still be paying a lot.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

Look at Kett AC Shears. also called Slotting Shears, cuts straight, left,right. take them anywhere, air not so much.

Last edited:

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Well it's done. I figured for the price ($65 loons) I would try the AC sheers. I would not be gambling too much. Glad I did; made 4 of the cuts and it went very well. Kind of make me wonder why I didn't buy one long ago as I could have used it many times for smaller stuff.

Thanks to all for the input.

Last edited:

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
What ya buildin ?

Carport is enclosed on 3 sides with metal gate in front. Wanted to put a door of some sort on it but it's an odd duck size. Add to that the problems we have here with unheated enclosed spaces (everything rots or rusts) a gate is was.

Problem is when it rains (happens here a lot) the place fills with water. I am building panels for inside the gate to try keep most of the rain out. At least that's the hope.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
can you take to a 'tinwhacker' shop or 'soffit/fascia' guy ? I'm assuming it's flat sheets NOT corrugated. Those guys can quickly do it.
I've cut a lot of steel roofing with a 4.5" angle grider with thin disc and a steel bar( as guide). All cuts were straight...
I've also got an electric shear,again use a good straight edge, works well.

Jay

techcrewkevin

Equipment
Kubota - my fathers, not mine. Always looking for ways to help improve it.
Feb 16, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
can you take to a 'tinwhacker' shop or 'soffit/fascia' guy ? I'm assuming it's flat sheets NOT corrugated. Those guys can quickly do it.

I've cut a lot of steel roofing with a 4.5" angle grider with thin disc and a steel bar( as guide). All cuts were straight...

I've also got an electric shear,again use a good straight edge, works well.

Jay
See post 16. He's already bought the tool.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk