Transmission question for the techs

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
I’m just doing my yearly service changing my hydraulic filters and udt fluid. So the oil has been completely drain. All of my drain plugs didn’t give me any problems except my 1 3/16 plug with magnet on it . For some reason when I put it in to tighten it’s not grabbing the threads. I’m not sure if there’s any tips or tricks to this plug but I thought I’d ask. Other option is to buy another plug , and my last option would be tap and die the hole which i really don’t want to do. Help

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you're putting the correct plug into the correct hole it should screw right in. If it is not square with the hole the threads may not catch. If you have not contacted the surface with the plug the threads cannot catch. Tapping the threads to clean them up won't help in either of these two instances. If you do decide to run a tap through the threads be advised - they are METRIC. This may sound stupid but are you sure you're turning the plug in the correct direction?

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
One thing I have found helpful when working with a new mechanism is to turn the plug backwards (CCW) while pressing in slightly, until you feel the threads drop into the recess correctly. Then turn it CW trying to maintain a perpendicular profile. Sometimes the leading thread of the plug has an upset that makes it hard to start.

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
One thing I have found helpful when working with a new mechanism is to turn the plug backwards (CCW) while pressing in slightly, until you feel the threads drop into the recess correctly. Then turn it CW trying to maintain a perpendicular profile. Sometimes the leading thread of the plug has an upset that makes it hard to start.

I’m going to try that. Thank you. I’m trying to figure out if the bolt itself needs pressure with those magnets at the end.

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Just a follow up.

I didn’t do anything too drastic. I took the plug into a shop in the city and they cleaned up the threads. When I when to install it gave me no issues what so ever. It’s how every thing is metric but I used a 1 3/16 socket to torque it down. I looked into getting a larger metric set and they are quite pricey.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Harbor Freight 29mm, 30mm, 32mm, 34mm, 35mm, 36mm, 38mm Set for $49.99. SKU# 62842 1 and 3/16 = 30mm.