LA 481 loader problem

Logger Bob

Equipment
l3010, LA481
Sep 27, 2019
South Berwick, ME
I have a l3010 HST with LA 481 loader. The loader recently started to operate slowly and is weak. The 3pt hitch acts normally. I have been using it in the woods with a skidding winch and it had no problem lifting loads in excess of 1000 lbs. I noticed that the loader lift speed drastically improved if I raised the loaded 3pt hitch at the same time as raising the loader. Bucket rollback speed also improved if the loader arms were dropping. Pressure to the loader at idle is only 600lbs and improves to 700 when unloaded rocker arms are raised. Any ideas out there?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you checked the couplers for the loader. May have one partially unhooked.

You said you've been in the woods. Have you checked under the tractor and inspected hyd lines? I'd look close at the suction line to make sure it hasn't been damaged. Look close at the rubber section on that line. I've seen them with a crack before and never leak a drop of fluid.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Logger Bob

Equipment
l3010, LA481
Sep 27, 2019
South Berwick, ME
I have disconnected and reconnected the couplings. I looked underneath and did not see any other damage. I did have a rotten stump get flipped by the front tire and break off the hydraulic filter. I replaced that and put in new fluid. Was good for about 20 hours when the problem started.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Do you have any rear remotes?

Such symptoms can occur if a rear remote is not in its cetner position and is bleeding off pressure.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Look at the complex linkage on your machine providing three different control modes for the 3 pt hitch.

Since you are making a connection with using the 3 pt with improvements in FEL operation, I suggest you go over all the 3 pt adjustments available to make certain one is not affecting hydraulic pressure.

I am attaching basic info on the three modes.

If you send me your email address in a private message I will send you th entire hydraulic section from the WSM

Dave

Attachments

Logger Bob

Equipment
l3010, LA481
Sep 27, 2019
South Berwick, ME
I will take a look at those connections. It may be that something is there that I missed. I have the workshop manual so I am good there, thank you.

Logger Bob

Equipment
l3010, LA481
Sep 27, 2019
South Berwick, ME
Kubota filter and Kubota udt fluid. As I said the 3 pt hitch is working normally with the the skidding winch attached which weighs around 800# and it readily lifts that and the butt of a 16inch x 50 ft oak and the tractor at idle. There is clearly something happening with the interplay of the 3pt hitch and fel. The bucket roll back is also slow and weak but roll back speed increases if the loader arms are dropping simultaneously as the bucket is rolled back

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What does it do if you leave the 3pt lowered? Sometimes the feedback rod is out of adjustment and will keep the loader from working properly.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
does your tractor have a little valve on it that accepts a flat tip screwdriver? Normally you'd turn that little valve one way if you're not using the loader; then 90 degrees the other way if you are using the loader. If that thing has been hit by debris, it can be turned halfway and cause exactly what you're describing. I can't remember if the GL-10 series has that or not. The original grand L's had it though (L2900/3300/3600/4200 w/LA480 & LA680).

Does your loader drift down when not being used?

Logger Bob

Equipment
l3010, LA481
Sep 27, 2019
South Berwick, ME
There is no loader drift. The 3 pt hitch linkage appears to be fine and working properly. The hitch position has no effect on loader operation. There is no adjustment valve that I am aware of.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
does your tractor have a little valve on it that accepts a flat tip screwdriver? Normally you'd turn that little valve one way if you're not using the loader; then 90 degrees the other way if you are using the loader. If that thing has been hit by debris, it can be turned halfway and cause exactly what you're describing. I can't remember if the GL-10 series has that or not. The original grand L's had it though (L2900/3300/3600/4200 w/LA480 & LA680).

Does your loader drift down when not being used?
This is the valve Lugbolt is referring to, your tractor has it just below the step on the right side.

Attachments

Logger Bob

Equipment
l3010, LA481
Sep 27, 2019
South Berwick, ME
Problem solved. It was the implement control valve. It had rotated about 10 deg off vertical. Put it back in vertical position and presto. Chalk up another to Ockham's razor. Thanks for the tip. I'm surprised it wasn't thought of more quickly by the local Kubota techs but maybe it just happens so infrequently.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Problem solved. It was the implement control valve. It had rotated about 10 deg off vertical. Put it back in vertical position and presto. Chalk up another to Ockham's razor. Thanks for the tip. I'm surprised it wasn't thought of more quickly by the local Kubota techs but maybe it just happens so infrequently.
That tractor is aging and techs see more new stuff than old. That's why they typically do not think of that kind of stuff.