2380 with 1.5 hours spewing hydraulic fluid. Need to figure out how to add more

sdrilling

Equipment
BX2380, 60" Mower Deck, Loader and Blade
Sep 21, 2019
Newnan, GA
Not a happy camper today. Brand new 2380. Delivered yesterday with .9 miles. Ordered 5 ton of gravel to spread on a cart part on my property. Put 30 minutes. Noticed a drip drip --- drip drip drip drip....., on the red and blue hydraulic feeds.

Called the dealer. They'd like me to bring it in (they are 1 1/2 hours away) plus I would have to wrestle onto my trailer..

They can send someone out but will be a week and they have to order the parts. Wouldn't you have hydraulic feeds in stock? Besides, I have almost 5 ton of gravel sitting in the middle of my driveway and it will not be real convenient for that to be there for a week.

The tech suggested I go purchase hydraulic fluid and re-fill to get my rock off the driveway while I wait for them to send someone out in a week.

After a 2-hours and visits to three stores, I found the fluid.

Open official "Operators Manual" It doesn't mention hydraulic fluid.

I have not found anything in the manual that discusses hydraulic fluid, how much to use or verifies where to put it in. The dealer said to put the fluid at the yellow dipstick on the real. THAT dipstick says "Oil" not hydraulic fluid

Anyone around that can point me in the right direction add more hydraulic fluid to my brand new kubota

..... hoping this is not a pre-view of things to come.....

Thanks so much

sdrilling

Equipment
Sep 21, 2019
Newnan, GA
Thank goodness for You-tube

Found a video someone created checking all of the fluids in his 2920.

I cannot add the link -- but if anyone else is searching the search phrase is

"How to change the hydraulic fluid,differential fluid,filters on your Kubota 2920 tractor Part2"

Now to move the rock and then try to clean up the fluid. It is everywhere -- on the mower deck, the floor board. Grrrr

sdrilling

Equipment
Sep 21, 2019
Newnan, GA
Unfortunately their Service Manager told me to go get the hydraulic fluid -- a Premium Brand that says it is compatable with Kubota UDT on the bottle.

So I have added 2 rounds of hydraulic fluid to the unit and the loader doesn't even want to pick up now.

The dealer (Beshears in Oxford) is not very helpful. ..... someone will get back with me.

IDK -- if I had a customer who purchased a new unit and it broke down within 30 minutes of its first use I think I would be more responsive.

Not happy. Not happy at all.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Have you tried calling another dealer? Your location says Noonan, GA, there shows to be a Brashears 24 miles from you. Have you tried them?

Super UDT2 is what they come pre-filled with; and that's what you should be using. That's Kubota's premium hydraulic/transmission fluid. The only other fluid compatible is UDT (not super). Nothing else is compatible, except the bucket that they send it in. THe bucket might be compatible but that's about it. Kubota does not endorse any other fluid. I've tried my best from a ton of angles to get them to tell us what other fluid to use; and there is none that compares. Supposedly it's specifically made for Kubota and nobody else, but I'm no chemist and I can't confirm the formulation differences. It is added at the back of the tractor, underneath the 3 point hitch's top link. Yellow dip stick/cap assembly.

A leak THAT big is cause for concern. Would you have any photo of the area that is leaking? I have a suspicion but I won't comment further until I know exactly where it's coming from, and that is only if you're willing to let "us" look at it, online.

Warranty will likely pick up the tab on it, HOWEVER, as stated in the warranty statement book they usually don't pick up the transportation cost. That is left up to the dealership's discretion. If it's just a few weeks or less of age, I'd like to say they outta pick it up for you, but I can't speak for every dealer. Also consider that you aren't the dealership's only problem, they have others to tend to as well, thus I try to preach patience. If you're patient with them, they're more likely to help you.

The automotive industry has every industry spoiled. They (auto dealers) do everything that they can to make you feel all warm & fuzzy inside... "courtesy cars", rides to & from the dealer, etc....but...what they don't want people to know is that all those conveniences are added into the cost of the vehicle at the time of purchase, which is one of many reasons a new 1/2 ton truck can cost $60,000+. Tractor dealers? They simply don't have the manpower and income to do the same.

Lastly, a dealership usually doesn't have a warehouse for storing replacement parts; thus they generally don't keep every single part in stock. That's just not possible with the size of Kubota's different lines. Well it IS possible, but the dealership would need about 500,000 square feet of storage space alone, not counting the actual dealership space. Dealers, you might think they make a ton of money and should be able to afford it but in all actuality that's not the case unfortunately. Car dealers? There's a warehouse every so often because cars are a necessity to people. Also, with cars, there might only be 6 different ones and of those, a lot of parts interchange (that's how manufacturers make money), where a BX tractor might only share fastener similarities with, say, a B series. Just an example of course but you get the idea. THe good thing (for you) is that there is a kubota warehouse right there in Georgia, but I don't know what they have there. Maybe just RTV stuff, I do not know.

NOBODY wants you to be unhappy with your new equipment. If a dealer closeby can't help you, you are always able to contact customer service who could perhaps pull some strings that a dealer could not.

sdrilling

Equipment
Sep 21, 2019
Newnan, GA
IMG_1392 (1).jpg

The leak is coming from both the Red and the Blue round things on the hydraulic feeds

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
agreed. snug the fittings and re-seat the the quick connect. This should be a very simple fix.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, that stinks big-time. Makes me wonder if the dealer did any PDI at all.

Couple things you can check....put a wrench on all the fittings near the loader connection where it's leaking. If everything feels tight, bleed off the pressure, uncouple the valve block, wipe everything off good, and recouple, check for leaks again.

What kind of hydro oil did you use? It must be UDT/SUDT compatible!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
View attachment 44920

The leak is coming from both the Red and the Blue round things on the hydraulic feeds
'Red and Blue' round things are the Quick disconnect dust caps. Sure looks like a simple 5 minute fix to me. a couple appropriate sized open end wrenches and 5 minutes of your time will stop the leaks.

I agree poor PDI but not life or death, just tighten them up and continue on.

sdrilling

Equipment
Sep 21, 2019
Newnan, GA
Thank you to all for your comments.

I am grandma, near 60. This is my first tractor. Until now I haven't operated anything large than a push mower in my yard.

I recently purchased a house with a bigger yard and decided to purchase a riding lawn mower. A JD dealer showed me their sub compact and itemized the many uses and I thought would be perfect to help me with the heavy lifting so I do not to constantly hire someone whenever I want a pile of gravel or mulch moved around.

From what it sounds like, the leak is easily fixed. It is still a disappointment and I think the dealer could have handled it better. I would have preferred to have a chance to learn my way around the thing before I needed to start wrenching on it.

Steph

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
I am grandma, near 60.
Awesome! You GO girl!

Yes, from the pic, it looks like someone didn't tighten the lines. So much for dealer prep. Hopefully this fixes it for you!!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thank you to all for your comments.

I am grandma, near 60. This is my first tractor. Until now I haven't operated anything large than a push mower in my yard.

I recently purchased a house with a bigger yard and decided to purchase a riding lawn mower. A JD dealer showed me their sub compact and itemized the many uses and I thought would be perfect to help me with the heavy lifting so I do not to constantly hire someone whenever I want a pile of gravel or mulch moved around.

From what it sounds like, the leak is easily fixed. It is still a disappointment and I think the dealer could have handled it better. I would have preferred to have a chance to learn my way around the thing before I needed to start wrenching on it.

Steph
Steph, please don't take my suggestion the wrong way...maybe it sounded a bit callous. Your dealer should have done the PDI with you present and taken the time to go over everything with you.

If you don't have the tools/desire to fix it, ask a handy neighbor to give you a hand. I do think that you just have a few loose fittings or perhaps the quick connect is not seated correctly. It should be a very simple fix that can be handled quickly. After that's done, I think that your dealer should be made aware that you're not happy at all, and at the very least, should provide you with a few gals of hydraulic oil and filters. Perhaps a free 50 hour service as well.