PTO Select Lever stuck brand new bx2380

sdrilling

Equipment
BX2380, 60" Mower Deck, Loader and Blade
Sep 21, 2019
Newnan, GA
Hello!

The dealer dropped off my brand new 2380 this afternoon. This is my first tractor. I am going from a push mower to the 2380.

The driver gave me a quick orientation. We did not drive the tractor.

When he left I took it for a spin around the yard. I thought I would try out the belly mower but could not figure out how to lower it. I played with the PTO Select (I had to look this up in the manual) and now have it stuck in the forward position. I know the driver instructed me to use the mower in the rear position.

I have read the section for using this control in the manual but it might as well be greek.

Could someone please explain how I can unstick the lever to move it back to the rear position and also what I am supposed to be doing with the PTO clutch. Reading the manual it sounds like these are connected??? Maybe there is a video showing how this all works?

I know I sound like an idiot.

Thanks so much

Stephanie

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
DO NOT THINK YOU ARE AN IDIOT. I can not help as I have never been on your model of tractor but I will encourage you to ask away. The people here are full of info and will help you if they can.

howie70

Equipment
BX2370
May 29, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Don't feel bad. We all have to start somewhere....and I still have plenty of blonde (Senior?) moments when doing stuff on the tractor. I had a BX2370 which I think was laid out similar to yours. The PTO selector lever was hateful sometimes. Often it took a lot of wiggling and cussing. Drive the tractor forward and backward just a little and it may slide right in. Try putting the speed selector lever (the turtle and rabbit) in N (neutral) and see if that helps. Also, make sure you're at idle speed and the engine isn't revved up. As far as the lever being in the rear position, I can't remember how mine was laid out, but it should have diagrams on it. One will show the mid mount pto or "belly mower", one will show the rear pto and the other shows both. When you say mower, I'm not sure if you have a belly mower or a rear finish mower, but move it to the position you need. And no pto clutch to worry with.

video: https://www.google.com/search?clien...pto+on+BX2380#kpvalbx=_HH-KXYnoIcGc5wLx6ZxY20

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Stephanie,

I hope you were able to get the lever to work. After watching the video I had a thought. I know that you said the tractor was new but has it been setting outside at the dealer? My l2501 got wet here in FL and the PTO lever got stuck. My son was in a panic because it would not come out of gear. After a quick look see I found that the shaft going into the transmission housing was rusted a little bit and a couple of squirts of PB Blaster and some manual shifting of the lever and the PTO was as good as new.

Anyway please watch the videos from Messick's and Tractor Mike. You said it was your first tractor so watch the videos about loader safety even if you have a tractor history just to refresh your memory.

Good luck and be safe.

dsims

Equipment
BX2380 60"Drive Over/SSQA Loader
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
The PTO gears aren't lining up 100% when you are trying to change from mid to rear or vice versa. This is totally normal (I thought I had the same problem when mine was new). Easy solution is to engage the PTO level briefly while trying to move the selector lever to the other position. This makes the gears turn just enough to line up.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
The gears are straight cut so there hard to get them to move at times. One of the ways to get it to shift is shut your tractor off. Now with the tractor off grab a hold of the rear or mid pto shaft and turn them slowly.At the same time that your turning the shaft try shifting the lever. You'll find the right spot and it will shift very easy.
Also getting the tractor out of 4x4 mode can be a pain. this is different then trying to shift the pto. This is done with the tractor running and in low range. move the tractor slowly forward and then reverse pulling ever so lightly on the shift lever you'll find it comes out very easy as well.

your basically unloading the gears meshed together. Let me know if this helps .