Fish Lifes B6100 Restoration

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Re: B6100 Low OIL Pressure Fix

FishLife, for sure you're not wearing out your welcome! There are not many places on the internet, or any where else, to get the information you can gather here. It's a conglomeration of experience, ideas, and camaraderie. And it's not all about tractors! Just take a look at "Off Topic" threads.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

I’m still on vacation with my family and each night im laying in bed thinking about my project that I’m excited to get back to. I have been doing some research so when I get back I can resume. I happened to come across a listing on Craigslist for some Kubota engines. It’s a place in Tennessee called Diesel Repower. I messaged them and they said these engines come out of Japan with low hours do to stricter epa regulations over there. They have a D850 for $1595.00 plus shipping. Anyone have any experience with these people? I have seen a couple other companies online importing these used engines also but cant remember the names of those.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero

I’m still on vacation with my family and each night im laying in bed thinking about my project that I’m excited to get back to. I have been doing some research so when I get back I can resume. I happened to come across a listing on Craigslist for some Kubota engines. It’s a place in Tennessee called Diesel Repower. I messaged them and they said these engines come out of Japan with low hours do to stricter epa regulations over there. They have a D850 for $1595.00 plus shipping. Anyone have any experience with these people? I have seen a couple other companies online importing these used engines also but cant remember the names of those.
Not to "PEE" on your parade but if I knew I had to pull an engine after so many hours no matter whether I took excellent care of it or abused the hell out of it and not ever service it, I might just run the heck out of it and not spend the money to service it. I have seen this with LEASED cars that unless the lease stipulated that it had to be brought in for service, the engine and everything else was neglected.
Unless the Diesel repower hooks up the particular engine you want to buy to a jig to start and run it up to operating temperature and checks HOT oil pressure, you could be buying a piece of junk.
I SPEAK from PERSONAL experience... I was about 20, it was 1972 and had a 1964 Chevy Van. I bought a "GOOD used" 250 ci inline 6 to replace the tired 194 ci 6.
I put it in, started it up got it up to temp and saw bubbles coming from around one of the outside head bolts. I went to torque it and it spun. It was broke off in the block. Head came off, had to work for a week to get the stud out.
I bought a REBUILT 302 short block for an Econoline van I had. Bored, new pistons, bearings ect. I took the pan off to change it to the Econoline pan and the crank looked rusty on the counterweights. I pulled the rear main cap and the rear main bearing was all gouged out because an oil passage on the main was goofed up. I would have had it installed and down the road, the engine would have failed. I rebuilt MY engine myself.

I have two other instances with trusting so called good used and rebuilt engines but I won't take the space on the page. BOTH resulted in either a complete replacement or partial tear down.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

Not to "PEE" on your parade but if I knew I had to pull an engine after so many hours no matter whether I took excellent care of it or abused the hell out of it and not ever service it, I might just run the heck out of it and not spend the money to service it. I have seen this with LEASED cars that unless the lease stipulated that it had to be brought in for service, the engine and everything else was neglected.
Unless the Diesel repower hooks up the particular engine you want to buy to a jig to start and run it up to operating temperature and checks HOT oil pressure, you could be buying a piece of junk.
I SPEAK from PERSONAL experience... I was about 20, it was 1972 and had a 1964 Chevy Van. I bought a "GOOD used" 250 ci inline 6 to replace the tired 194 ci 6.
I put it in, started it up got it up to temp and saw bubbles coming from around one of the outside head bolts. I went to torque it and it spun. It was broke off in the block. Head came off, had to work for a week to get the stud out.
I bought a REBUILT 302 short block for an Econoline van I had. Bored, new pistons, bearings ect. I took the pan off to change it to the Econoline pan and the crank looked rusty on the counterweights. I pulled the rear main cap and the rear main bearing was all gouged out because an oil passage on the main was goofed up. I would have had it installed and down the road, the engine would have failed. I rebuilt MY engine myself.

I have two other instances with trusting so called good used and rebuilt engines but I won't take the space on the page. BOTH resulted in either a complete replacement or partial tear down.
Very good points. If I am going to repower I would be better off just finding a good used 750-850-950 and rebuilding it myself. That way there will be no surprises. Thanks

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

So I got home and started doing a couple of things. I was trying to get the bushing out of the end of the crankshaft and some how the pick I was using slipped and tore a huge hole in my hand. Sitting at the ER now. Looks like it is going to be a while before I will be back messing with this thing.

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

Well I got lucky and the doctor said I just missed the tendon. I will have to keep it wrapped for a bit. O well things happen. Before I got hurt I got the seal holder off and the old gaskets cleaned off.

The old gasket seemed to have an adhesive on them. Do the new paper ones go on dry?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Well I got lucky and the doctor said I just missed the tendon. I will have to keep it wrapped for a bit. O well things happen. Before I got hurt I got the seal holder off and the old gaskets cleaned off.

The old gasket seemed to have an adhesive on them. Do the new paper ones go on dry?
Yes you can do that or as I do I use a very light coat of gasket sealer, I don't like leaks. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Yep sealer on both sides, use a little grease to hold the O-rings in place. ;)

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

Today I thought since I am this far into it I should just pull the head and check
Inside. There was some carbon buildup on the perimeter of the pistons but the tops look good. There is no pitting. Im not a mechanic but from what little I know the cylinder walls look good. They are a little shiny and slick with just a few vertical streaks but nothing you can catch a fingernail on. The head unfortunately is going to have to be replaced. There must be a crack or pin hole in it. Looking through one of the water jackets there is and oily sludge inside.
Couple questions.
1. How would I determine if the cylinders need to be honed?
2. Since im in it this far should I just pull the pistons to inspect, if good replace the rings and hone?
3. After getting a price on a head from Messicks, are there any reputable aftermarket heads someone can suggest?

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

1. How would I determine if the cylinders need to be honed?
2. Since im in it this far should I just pull the pistons to inspect, if good replace the rings and hone?
Honing of the cylinder walls is done for the purpose of seating new rings to ensure good compression. You apparently already have good compression and therefore nicely seated rings, so I would say compression doesn't warrant messing with the cylinders or pistons.

Since the head is off, you could drop each piston in turn to the bottom of it's cylinder and conduct some measurements to verify the cylinders are still round and straight. That would be the only reason I personally would consider further disassembly, but if the cylinders are badly out of spec then you are looking at a full resleeve and/or rebore, not a mere honing and rings.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

100% agree with everything Torch said!
I don't see the issue that you think you have with the head????
Point to it.
The only issues that these heads have is they will crack between the valves and into the precombustion chamber.

I have never heard of one with pin holes or leaks into any other portion of the head.
The slime in the water jacket could be from a 100 different things.

Was there water in the oil before you pulled the head?
Is there oil in the radiator?

I think your just looking for something to be wrong with it, if you genuinely concerned take the head in and have it pressure tested, that will give you a complete answer.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

100% agree with everything Torch said!
I don't see the issue that you think you have with the head????
Point to it.
The only issues that these heads have is they will crack between the valves and into the precombustion chamber.

I have never heard of one with pin holes or leaks into any other portion of the head.
The slime in the water jacket could be from a 100 different things.

Was there water in the oil before you pulled the head?
Is there oil in the radiator?

I think your just looking for something to be wrong with it, if you genuinely concerned take the head in and have it pressure tested, that will give you a complete answer.
Im defiantly not trying to find any more issues. I have just put a lot of time and money in it so far and just want to make sure im doing things in a correct order to cover all the basis before i start reassembling it.

I dont think it is oil now at this point. I think it is rust that is wet underneath and when poked with a pick crumbles and has an oily look to it.

I didnt even think about having it tested. I called a place here that builds engines and they said they could pressure check it for 150.00. I may just do it for piece of mind.

I have my new seals and gaskets on order so hopefully it wont be long now before i start getting it back together.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

I got myself an early Christmas present. I have been wanting one of these for awhile.
Fish - look forward to your progress. I'm not much help, but have watched your project. Like 'Cat said, it is better to keep everything in one thread.

Great looking tool box! I have a set from Harbor Freight. Your Kubota tool cart looks remarkedly similar to mine from HF, which was the first I bought on sale.

Asked about the HF toolbox quality here on OTT before buying the bigger ones.. They got good reviews here, and I Love them!

I used to spend 20 minutes finding the tools I needed BEFORE starting work; now they're right there....

Best wishes for the rest of your project; I look forward to seeing it!

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

Looks great! I have a set from Harbor Freight. Your Kubota cart looks remarkedly similar to mine from HF.

Asked about the HF toolbox quality here on OTT before buying the bigger ones.. They got good reviews here, and I Love them!

I used to spend 20 minutes finding the tools I needed; now they're are right there....
It is actually a HF box. They were on sale this weekend so I got one. I just put some Kubota decals on it. I love it. Im really impressed with these new boxes there coming out with.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

Fish - look forward to your progress. I'm not much help, but have watched your project. Like 'Cat said, it is better to keep everything in one thread.
I would have to agree. It would be confusing jumping around in different threads trying to follow. Wonder if I can change the title to, Fish Lifes B6100 Restoration.