How did you wire LEDs to your tractor?

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
We have a thread for showing our ROPS lights, so how about a thread for showing how you wired them.

Not only is this for me, but I'm sure there are others on here that can follow instructions have the ability to do the work if we just knew what to use.

For instance do I use new fuse box? Run a power wire from the battery to the new fuse box, then wire the LEDs in there? Do I run the wiring harness all the way to the battery? I've heard/seen that some aren't long enough to reach from the battery to the top of the ROPS.

What did you use? Links to the items online maybe?
  • Fuse box?
  • Wiring harness?
  • Brackets?
  • The LED lights themselves?
  • Anything you needed to complete the job.

Thank you in advance!!

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
No extra's needed on the L4740 since it was a cab unit with front and rear lighting. Simply removed the stock halogen housing and replaced with 7" 36 watt LED units. Reused the connector from the original halogen housing, since it was no longer needed.

Same on the B3030 cab.

L3130: Ran a 20 amp fused 10 awg wire off the battery to the dash with two terminals on the other end. One for the front lights and another for the rear lights. Originally used halogen fog lights but have since changed out for LED units.

For switches, I've had very good luck finding the appropriate switch from https://otrattw.net/

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
We have a thread for showing our ROPS lights, so how about a thread for showing how you wired them.

Not only is this for me, but I'm sure there are others on here that can follow instructions have the ability to do the work if we just knew what to use.

For instance do I use new fuse box? Run a power wire from the battery to the new fuse box, then wire the LEDs in there? Do I run the wiring harness all the way to the battery? I've heard/seen that some aren't long enough to reach from the battery to the top of the ROPS.

What did you use? Links to the items online maybe?
  • Fuse box?
  • Wiring harness?
  • Brackets?
  • The LED lights themselves?
  • Anything you needed to complete the job.

Thank you in advance!!

Everything you mentioned is a "perfect" way to achieve the desired outcome.

A fuse box with a large power wire to it, 10 gauge stranded works well with correct leads straight to battery.

A self made or store bought wiring harness - either with fuse box OR a relay.

Brackets - store bought, or made, not a great idea to drill holes in ROPS however.

LED lights, you pick 'em, and they should be fine.

One thing to consider, an alternator will light up a lot more "lights" than a dyno typically can.

As for connections, tape aint a good idea....solder or clamp style should be used.

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Everything you mentioned is a "perfect" way to achieve the desired outcome.

A fuse box with a large power wire to it, 10 gauge stranded works well with correct leads straight to battery.

A self made or store bought wiring harness - either with fuse box OR a relay.

Brackets - store bought, or made, not a great idea to drill holes in ROPS however.

LED lights, you pick 'em, and they should be fine.

One thing to consider, an alternator will light up a lot more "lights" than a dyno typically can.

As for connections, tape aint a good idea....solder or clamp style should be used.

I ended up getting crimp/clamp style connectors that have heat shrink on them. I’m going to run my lights off of a separate fuse box. I really don’t want to mess with the factory wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I ended up getting crimp/clamp style connectors that have heat shrink on them. I’m going to run my lights off of a separate fuse box. I really don’t want to mess with the factory wiring.

I am a big fan of marine type equipment for adding fuse boxes and wiring.

The fuse boxes have screw terminals to take wire end connectors with a closed eye. They don't accidentally get pulled off.

There are even marine fuse box models with a ground bus so all the add ons can be wired to this one ground point.

The add a circuit device can be an easy way to add a circuit without touching your fuse box.

This additional circuit is completely independent electrically of the fuse location where you plug in in.

Many people mistakenly think the add a fuse is just a circuit using the amp carrying ability of the original fuse. Not so. The add a circuit must go in in na specific direction and then you have two independent circuits.

Dave

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I am a big fan of marine type equipment for adding fuse boxes and wiring.

The fuse boxes have screw terminals to take wire end connectors with a closed eye. They don't accidentally get pulled off.

There are even marine fuse box models with a ground bus so all the add ons can be wired to this one ground point.

The add a circuit device can be an easy way to add a circuit without touching your fuse box.

This additional circuit is completely independent electrically of the fuse location where you plug in in.

Many people mistakenly think the add a fuse is just a circuit using the amp carrying ability of the original fuse. Not so. The add a circuit must go in in na specific direction and then you have two independent circuits.

Dave

I first ordered one fuse block that wasn’t marine, but the more I read I decided I needed a marine style fuse box. I got one with six circuits, a cover, screw on connectors, and a spot to connect all the negative cables from the LEDs to. It has a place for connecting both the positive and negative directly to the battery.