Rust cancer treatments ???

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Well it hasn't been working quite as good as I expected from the pics and video. Went back and started looking at what I was missing. What I've come up with is a simple mistake :eek:

When mixing in the washing soda. Pour the soda into a container of hot water to get it to mix thoroughly :eek:

So when I get home tonight, I'll drain the tub. Mix the washing soda in hot water a little at a time and add to the barrel. Then fill the barrel and mix again. And then try. :rolleyes:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
You go Daren.

You are the trailblazer!

I would think with the larger surface area, your project might take a couple days in the "electro-soup." One thing is for sure, it ain't gonna rust in there!

:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey Daren,

you using WASHING SODA? even though baking soda will work too, the washing suds are spose to be mo better.

let us know how round two goes - even at this slow rate, beats the hell out of scraping and sanding!:D:)

here is another write up do it :

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/miscellaneous/rust_removal.htm

can't wait to see the pictures of clean metal!:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Hey Daren,

you using WASHING SODA? even though baking soda will work too, the washing suds are spose to be mo better.

let us know how round two goes - even at this slow rate, beats the hell out of scraping and sanding!:D:)

here is another write up do it :

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/miscellaneous/rust_removal.htm

can't wait to see the pictures of clean metal!:)
Still trying to get the tank to work like it's supposed too :D Great article. Gonna try adding some more pieces of metal to the tank and give it a tune up :D probably got the positive too far from the fender. Gonna drop a longer piece to the bottom of the tank, jumper to it with some jumper cables and see what happens :D

So far the paints still intact.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Bigger surface area needs more cathode surface area.im thinking like a rebar grid. Hope you are working in a ventilated area, gasses go boom!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Tj, I had the same thought :D

Dropped in a piece of expanded metal, and a second piece of steel. Cleaned up where the positive is attaching to the pieces. And ground a spot on the fender for a good ground.

Getting 10 amps on the gauge, and the stew is really cooking now :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455578752.024543.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455578768.898001.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455578784.720493.jpg

This is how it was cooking last night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455578821.635152.jpg

Big difference between the two!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I have been watching this with interest, outside of the guys in Arizona we all have some rust to deal with. I have never tried it, but have been doing some research and found one reference that electrolysis is line of sight. I would believe this to be true, ions move in a straight line between the anode and cathode. Its not like they are dissolved and in solution. The reference suggested using multiple pieces of rebar and positioning them for line of site around the work piece.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not much of an update :rolleyes: let it stew over night, and not really any changes :rolleyes: will check when I get home from work. If there hasn't been much of a change, I'll reevaluate what I'm gonna do :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Gonna dip 5 gallons of solution out of the tank and try it on one of the rusted hand rails and see if I can get it figured out. It seemed to pull the exposed rust off. The metal is smooth and black. But where the paint is solid, it's still solid paint. :rolleyes: I'm wondering if it may be the fact that the paint is lead based, and the fact lead isn't a good conductor.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Darren, electrolysis will not remove the paint as it is a insulator. Will only work on bare metal. Clean it up as is and leave the good paint on. Prime sand and prime to smooth out the old rusted spots. Probably no paint will stick as good as that old paint. Jeff

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Darren, electrolysis will not remove the paint as it is a insulator. Will only work on bare metal. Clean it up as is and leave the good paint on. Prime sand and prime to smooth out the old rusted spots. Probably no paint will stick as good as that old paint. Jeff
Yup, how true. Was looking at the first video again and that was mainly rust :rolleyes:

Started googling paint removal with electrolysis and harsh chemicals are involved. Most commonly used is lye (sodium hydroxide) which is usually the main ingredient in drain cleaner. That poses some concerns, that I'm not looking to get involved in. Same thing with paint strippers :rolleyes:

Less hazardous but more messy would be media blasting them to remove the paint and crud. Which, there are a couple companies in town that specialize in it, so I might make a call.

Or for 35$ at harbour freight, you can buy a soda blaster. Would just need a decent air supply to run it. And the soda runs 42$ a bag.

I may take them into the shop and hit them with the steam cleaner and the (0) tip and crank the heat way up on it before spending any money and see how that works :D:D

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I believe you've way over thought this.

While you have the vat to work over just drain & dry those puppies up and then get some paint stripper and get all the crud off the metal where you can see what you have to work with. Scrape it all into some trash bags and off to the dump with it.

Sand all the rust and get the surfaces cleaned up and begin priming with some zinc rich primer until you get up to a good surface and then get the Rustoleum Lobster Red at WalMart. Clear coat that and let all of it cure hard before putting it back to work.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I believe you've way over thought this.

While you have the vat to work over just drain & dry those puppies up and then get some paint stripper and get all the crud off the metal where you can see what you have to work with. Scrape it all into some trash bags and off to the dump with it.

Sand all the rust and get the surfaces cleaned up and begin priming with some zinc rich primer until you get up to a good surface and then get the Rustoleum Lobster Red at WalMart. Clear coat that and let all of it cure hard before putting it back to work.
I have some welding, straightening and patching on them as well. Previous owner lost control while backing up, and caved the fenders in. There are a couple rips, and where they mount are pretty ate up. So over half the fenders need to be stripped to bear metal to do the repairs. With what's already flaked off, I might as well take it all to bare metal. Do the rapairs. Then treat, prime and paint. Will save time blocking and filling which I don't have the patience for ;)

The hood and dash just need to be buffed down, hand sanded, and repainted.

If I could have found aftermarket replacement fenders for it, the old fenders would have been at the scrap yard :)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
....get some paint stripper and get all the crud off the metal where you can see what you have to work with. Scrape it all into some trash bags and off to the dump with it.....
I'd say soda blast. .Dumping the bags mentioned above... those harsh stripping chemicals leaching into the ground at the dump along with all the other nasty stuff we throw out is just adding to the yuk our grandkids and great grand kids are going to have to super fund to attempt to repair the damage. Then there is the abandaoned dog or cat, racoons and other critters who went foraging thru the dump for a snack..... hate to guess what that stuff did to them.

Granted the resulting left overs after the soda blast is not great either but probably less of an issue than paint stripper.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Daren, you might take them by a body shop and see what they would charge to just "clean them up" then you could take it from there. Just a thought.:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, you might take them by a body shop and see what they would charge to just "clean them up" then you could take it from there. Just a thought.:)
I'm gonna try and oscillating concrete tip for a pressure washer first :D