Built a Tipping trailer for the B7200D

Duffsfarm

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7200D, B7200DHST, G3HST, KMS 180 Backhoe
May 22, 2014
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Hi all OTT fabricators. I have just finished the winter project, took a bit of time to get the painting done. I built a tipping trailer for the B7200. Its 8 foot long and 4 foot wide. The sides, tail gate and rear corner posts are all removable to make it into a flat trailer if necessary. I fitted LED lights mounted in 4 inch box section collars for protection. The floor consists of 3/4 inch buffalo board covered with a 1/12 inch galvanized sheet steel for protection. The tipping ram is a 4 stage ram giving a 60 degree tipping angle. I fitted twin bogie axles to allow for even ground pressure when travelling across the back lawn, the bogies allow for fairly uneven ground. The wheels that are fitted are only 4 inches wide, looking for a set of 8 inch wide wheels to finish it off.
I have attached some photos.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Fantastic job.

next person's Tilt dump project (or yours) ...... look at how the old Mercedes Unimogs designed their 3way tipper beds. This could easily be done with any of the tipper beds you guys have made here. Probably would not be to hard (with your skills...... not with my skills ) to convert the ones yall have made already into 3ways.

(3way- can dump left, or right, or back)

Duffsfarm

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 22, 2014
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Thanks coachgeo. Thats a good suggestion about the three way tipping, I will consider it for the next trailer build, it would add quite a bit of complication and the top of the tipping cylinder would need a pivoting ball to allow for the different tilting angles. I have added some more photos of the chassis.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Very nicely done! ;)

If you notice that you are getting to much tongue weight move the bogies forward, and if it has a hard time lifting a load loaded move the bed pivot point forward, so some of the weight is behind the pivot point, like a teeter totter.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I wondered about the tongue weight too.

On another forum, I get to see a lot of European equipment and casual observation indicates that most of their trailed equipment has the wheels set much further back than what I'm used to seeing.

I assume there's a reason for that, wonder what it is?

Duffsfarm

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 22, 2014
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Thanks for your comments North Idaho Wolfman and PHPaul.
The trailer is sized to carry about 4400 pounds (2 metric tonnes). With the position of the axle pivot, 30% in from the end of the body, with an evenly loaded trailer I should see 3000 pounds on the towing ring. With European tractors the towing hitch, usually called a pickup hitch, is short and set in very tight to the axle of the tractor. It is usually a simple hook that is lowered to pick up the trailer and raised and locked into position once the trailer is hooked in. The idea is to transfer a significant amount of weight onto the tractor axle for traction. At the moment I have a short tow bar with a pin fitted to the tractor but i am working on fabricating a pickup hitch arrangement for it. This will allow me to hitch up and un-hitch the trailer without getting off the tractor. The hydraulic cylinder pushes vertically and the first stage can push 15500 pounds so I doubt that I will ever have any problems tipping a load.

Attachments

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Ah. With that sort of arrangement for the hitch (versus a drawbar-and-pin) I can see where tongue weight would be important.

Thanks for the explanation!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes thanks, that is different from what we are used to over here, and it does make a world of difference on weight distribution requirements!
That is one sweet setup!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
That is an awesome trailer, great work and nice looking!

I think the best I've been able to come up with is one that can handle 1500lbs. from Northern Tool. Basically a couple of loader buckets full, but I'd love a unit like you have!

Duffsfarm

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 22, 2014
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Thanks all for the comments. I was thinking of getting some Kubota badges to put on it. I had the same problem as ShaunRH, any trailers that I looked buying around the size I wanted all had low load capacities and looked light and flimsy. I built the trailer as a heavy duty unit with closely spaced support bars under the floor, spaced at 12 inches, to prevent the floor getting damaged if anything heavy is dropped into it from a loader. To answer Ireops question, I don't know what the exact weight is but I can lift the drawbar off the ground when the trailer is empty, i'd say that's about 110 pounds on the tongue. Overall I would estimate that it weighs no more that 650 pounds, not overly heavy.