Land Pride SGC1060 Welds Ripping!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My guess is Land Pride has made some changes in the manufacturing process in the last four years, especially after the initial return of the grapple and their shop repairing it.

Probably not something to be concerned about now.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Given that the original post was 4 years ago, I don't think that's an option. :)

Seeing those pics, however, makes me a bit apprehensive about the LP grapple as this isn't the first post I've seen about poor weld joints in their grapples. In particular, the way the quick-attach plate curled up strongly suggests there was little or no welds on the bottom edge. Also, the side weld that tore away looks like there's very poor weld penetration.

I'm going to buy the LP grapple for my BX soon, and given this thread I'm going to be looking over those weld joints ... particularly the bottom edge of the quick attach. If they're flimsy or missing, I'll be inclined to "reinforce" them with some extra welding ... warranty be damned.

As for the AR400 steel these are made of, my only concern is what welding will do to any tempering. I can't imagine they temper the whole thing after welding.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Update: Received a call today from the Dealer,.....

Land Pride "barely" covered the cost of a repair... Due mainly in part to the Land Pride Rep saying they have never seen this type of issue before ever. He said the "Rip" in the weld on the right side is the only reason they are going to cover a repair,...... the repair being 3.5 hours of labor to grind off existing pieces, and then weld pieces back on. They are not going to make the pieces any thicker. Rep said have to have been caused from hitting/striking something "really hard" while going backwards.

So, I don't recall anything being hit or struck while going in reverse. My main concern is if this happens again. Which I asked the Dealer about, and he said if it does, he'd almost be able to guarantee Land Pride wouldn't cover anything at that point. They also said they will not make any changes to the new pieces. The Dealer did say they would most likely be adding a weld to the bottom. Not solid, but a couple inches. So, one of my questions are: Why not go with a solid bead along the bottom? Would it hurt to do this?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris
Looks like way overloaded for the intended use of the implement. Try a track hoe with a thumb for removing huge rocks- a small tractor and a light duty grapple are not made for that

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Sorry for your issues.
Take it back to your dealer. Tell them the welds have very little penetration and thats why they are failing. I suspect the complete unit is welded the same so ask for a replacement. That was not welded by a welder, only someone who thought he or she was. I would have expected a much better quality item from Land Pride considering Kubota now owns them.

Last edited:

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I have had my LandPride GC1072 almost a year now, 98 hours on my tractor and probably 50 to 60% of it using the grapple. I have picked up stumps which the loader would only roll, not lift. I routinely open it and drag it backwards picking up rocks, limbs etc. I use it to pull up small trees, dig rocks, etc. I believe I use it to its limit.
I was worried after reading this post and went out and checked all the welds on it. Not a single crack, bulge or tear. Nothing bent, lots of scratches and paint worn off but it is running fine.

My only complaint is that when it is folded in the most rolled back position it has an inch or so of 'wiggle'. this play seems to be in the hyd cyl. not air but just a bit of play, it goes away when I roll it fwd a bit. I took a video of it and went to the dealer, he brought the mechanic out and after watching it he said they all do that.

I do love this grapple, I use it a lot and probably a bit too hard, but it serves me well and I believe it is a great piece of equipment.

M

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Always remember to read date of the posts, I'm really hoping in 4 years he's got this solved!

jowens

Equipment
L-2501, Rototiller, bucket, post hole auger, forks
Apr 15, 2020
Lancaster, Ca.
Wow, Very Concerning I just bought the SGC1060 with my L2501. It gets installed next week.
Hows that SGC1060 working for you on the L-2501. I am looking for a grapple and was advised to keep my weight down and look at the SGC0660?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I added this bucket grapple to my MF 1528 in 2005. When I traded the tractor in 2018 I transferred the bucket grapple to the L2501's bucket. I find it very useful when doing dirt work. Raking the piles down so it is easier to scoop up the dirt. Closing the grapple also allows the bucket to hold onto more dirt as you are transfer materials. The price is good and it is light enough to leave it on all the time. You can buy it from Rural King I believe.

https://precisionmfg.com/single/

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I know it's over 4 years old. I'm going to rant anyway, so suck it up.

Manufacturing is always a compromise between, of many other things, making a good product, making a product that is competitive to other brands, and making a product reasonably reliable/safe. So read that again and ask yourself, what'd he just say?

I said, they gotta make a product that will hold up to intended usage, compete with competition's similar item, and still be able to turn a profit on it.

Most of the weldments are robotically welded; which mostly leaves out the "human welders"--to an extent. Yeah they still gotta program the machines, inspect, etc.

There are a million ways to screw up a weld. Too hot, you'll get great penetration but cook the metal around the weldment (heat affected zone, or HAZ). Too cold, little penetration. Too fast, bead quality can suffer. Wrong filler-low quality, brittleness (unintended), too soft, etc etc.

It ain't just grapples, it's manufacturing as a whole. This has been a game of compromises since the beginning of time when hunter-gatherers found that some acorns were more desirable than others and would get better barter dinosaur bones. You get the idea.

With all that said, what I see all too often is ignorance of the machine's intended usage; meaning oftentimes people buy a Z121 (since it's mower season) and mow 40 acres of rocks and stumps with it; then gripe about it at 100 hours/6 months of use and it's tore all to pieces. That is not its intended usage. It is a LAWN mower and not a rock crusher or stump grinder that goes 8 or 9 mph. With that in mind, warranty departments are getting smarter with it, and I know of at least one that will ask for it's type of usage, review pictures (mandatory pics now and that is an important part of the claim process) as well as the number of hours, then they'll make a decision whether or not it's usage is within it's intended, and decide whether it's a true warranty issue or a neglect/abuse/lack of maintenance issue. I'm being serious here, it's already happening (and has been for a year or so) with certain manufacturers (and I ain't saying who at this time). At one time, about 80% of warranty claims weren't really warranty-they fell into neglect/abuse/lack of proper maintenance; and every manufacturer knows it and is having to take steps to separate those from legitimate defects in manufacturing and workmanship.

Just my $.01 for whatever that's worth, and probably less than $.01!

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Thanks guys!

Wolfman, assuming I didn't hit anything hard while in reverse, would simply lifting hefty boulders be too much for the unit do you feel? I mean enough to cause the welds to fail? I'm not "beating it" into the ground sort of speak; but I'm definitely moving some big boulders, after coaxing them out of the ground.

Thank You,

If you grab something solid at one end of the grapple, the machine has plenty of force/power to destroy itself. If you are lifting something that reaches all the way across the jaw, the likelihood of damage is much less. Grabbing a rock with one corner is asking for trouble. None of that, however speaks to crappy welding.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I know it's over 4 years old. I'm going to rant anyway, so suck it up.

Manufacturing is always a compromise between, of many other things, making a good product, making a product that is competitive to other brands, and making a product reasonably reliable/safe. So read that again and ask yourself, what'd he just say?

I said, they gotta make a product that will hold up to intended usage, compete with competition's similar item, and still be able to turn a profit on it.

Most of the weldments are robotically welded; which mostly leaves out the "human welders"--to an extent. Yeah they still gotta program the machines, inspect, etc.

There are a million ways to screw up a weld. Too hot, you'll get great penetration but cook the metal around the weldment (heat affected zone, or HAZ). Too cold, little penetration. Too fast, bead quality can suffer. Wrong filler-low quality, brittleness (unintended), too soft, etc etc.

It ain't just grapples, it's manufacturing as a whole. This has been a game of compromises since the beginning of time when hunter-gatherers found that some acorns were more desirable than others and would get better barter dinosaur bones. You get the idea.

With all that said, what I see all too often is ignorance of the machine's intended usage; meaning oftentimes people buy a Z121 (since it's mower season) and mow 40 acres of rocks and stumps with it; then gripe about it at 100 hours/6 months of use and it's tore all to pieces. That is not its intended usage. It is a LAWN mower and not a rock crusher or stump grinder that goes 8 or 9 mph. With that in mind, warranty departments are getting smarter with it, and I know of at least one that will ask for it's type of usage, review pictures (mandatory pics now and that is an important part of the claim process) as well as the number of hours, then they'll make a decision whether or not it's usage is within it's intended, and decide whether it's a true warranty issue or a neglect/abuse/lack of maintenance issue. I'm being serious here, it's already happening (and has been for a year or so) with certain manufacturers (and I ain't saying who at this time). At one time, about 80% of warranty claims weren't really warranty-they fell into neglect/abuse/lack of proper maintenance; and every manufacturer knows it and is having to take steps to separate those from legitimate defects in manufacturing and workmanship.

Just my $.01 for whatever that's worth, and probably less than $.01!
+10......

Most all those welds are via a robotically controlled wire feeder.

It's my contention that many people abuse equipment without actually knowing it.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
IMHO that is a poor design. Wolfman hit the nail on the head and his picture that he posted is the best way to reinforce that. That gusset would only add about 1 pound but increase the strength at least by 10.