L355SS Transmission Repair

05harley

Equipment
L355SS
Jul 20, 2014
jamesville, nc usa
I am new to the site and have an older L355SS--the 2nd/6th gear has a broken tooth and needs to be replaced-----I am wondering if I can split the tranny between the front and rear halfs and access the broken gear by pulling the countershaft from the rear of the front housing?????---any help would be greatly appreciated---:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to split it at the red line, between the transmission and the differential case.
All of the shaft connections at that point are slip fit connections.

Just a note: When reassembling do not force the 2 cases to mate, if it doesn't slide right back together something is not lined up correctly.
I bought a tractor, L3450, that was forced together and they ended up breaking a whole lot of parts! Yes I knew it was broken when I bought it, you could say that why I bought it I like a challenge!
L355SS.JPG

05harley

Equipment
L355SS
Jul 20, 2014
jamesville, nc usa
I know its been a while since this was posted---but thought I would share the end result of this work---I had to separate the bell housing from the engine and remove the front bearing housing from the shaft holding the top gears in place---also had to separate the front transmission housing at its rear connection point to access the ring clips holding the assembly from the rear----pulled the shaft holding 2nd/6th gear out the back side of the housing until the gear came off the shaft(making sure not to drop the other parts down into the tranny)-----replaced the gear and all remaining parts----reassembled the tractor and now have all gears the tractor came with working as the should------by the way---I love the shuttle shift---Randy