B7000 3 pt lift grinding sound

petenpole

Equipment
B2100, & I-H BN
Apr 17, 2014
Trimble, MO
I am in the process of resurrecting a B7000 that has been neglected and left outside for a number of years.

The steering gear box has been rebuilt ( new ballnut, its balls, new upper and lower bearings and races.)

I have had it running and driven it and the tractor doesn't sound all that bad. I have located and waiting on a muffler, ignition switch, seat and a few other small items to get it close to being a daily user.

here is the question. Last year the tractor was run and serviced and then again left outside. When i got it running 2 weeks ago I moved the handle to raise the 3 point. There was a grinding sound as I moved the lever. It was a brief sound and the lift raised easily. It lowered like it should. When i started to raise it again it made the grinding sound briefly and then lifted.

Thoughts suggestions on how deep in the hydraulics I will need to go to find the problem? And the sound appeared to be coming from the 3 pt lift handle area.

I appreciate any guidance available.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
My B7100 makes that noise- it is the fluid going through the valve, which isn't progressive. It is an on or off valve, so when partially opening, it makes noise. Unless what you are experiencing is something else, it is normal.
If you open the valve all the way, full up or down in other words, is it quiet?

petenpole

Equipment
B2100, & I-H BN
Apr 17, 2014
Trimble, MO
It is very quiet when raising and lowering. Its just when you first move the lever(valve) that it makes that grinding sound.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It's normal. It is the fluid being forced through the partially opened valve. It isn't grinding- it just sounds like it.