Ignition key/power problem

jdwhome

Equipment
zen noh zl1501
Sep 30, 2009
Fort Worth
I have a zennoh zl1501a. I started it up yesterday no problem, then the fan/alternator belt broke. Replaced it and now when I turn the key, either to the left for the glow plugs, or to the right to start, nothing happens - no lights, no sound, nothing. I checked to ensure I was getting power to the switch, I am and I checked the switch itself - it's working (even had a tractor mechanic verify for me).

I've looked all up and down the various electrical lines and cannot find anything broken, disconnected, or even remotely loose.

Any ideas?

thank you in advance!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like when the belt broke, it broke or pulled a wire.
Look for something that the belt could have grabbed.;)

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I have a zennoh zl1501a. I started it up yesterday no problem, then the fan/alternator belt broke. Replaced it and now when I turn the key, either to the left for the glow plugs, or to the right to start, nothing happens - no lights, no sound, nothing. I checked to ensure I was getting power to the switch, I am and I checked the switch itself - it's working (even had a tractor mechanic verify for me).

I've looked all up and down the various electrical lines and cannot find anything broken, disconnected, or even remotely loose.

Any ideas?

thank you in advance!
Check the connector at the back of the alternator, they like to come loose.

Is the battery fully (or at least close) to fully charged?

Fuses good?

If that doesn't do it, it is time to start tracing wires with a multimeter, looking for open circuits or shorted wires.

Robert

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
This may sound like a dumb question but... What happened when the belt broke? Did you hear it, did it shut down, or what?

jdwhome

Equipment
zen noh zl1501
Sep 30, 2009
Fort Worth
Thanks for the replies. I gave up and took it in to a repair shop (getting a dead tractor on a trailer is not fun). They found where one of the wires had worn thru and was grounding out the circuit. I thought I looked everywhere along the wires, but apparently I missed it.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Thanks for the replies. I gave up and took it in to a repair shop (getting a dead tractor on a trailer is not fun). They found where one of the wires had worn thru and was grounding out the circuit. I thought I looked everywhere along the wires, but apparently I missed it.
That brings back painful memories of winching a John Deere B onto a trailer one night about thirty five years ago. One of our neighbors bought it for his son, and the guy he bought it from's son (probably 8 or 10) steered it up the ramps, with the brakes locked, on purpose.

At least you go tit fixed.

Robert

famvburg

Apr 18, 2012
vicksburg, ms.
My L285 does that sometimes. I just got it out of the shop for a rear end replacement and while there they 'repaired' the starter system by replacing the switch and wiring it straight to the glow plugs on one side and the starter on the other using new wiring. They also installed new battery cables. The battery is about a year old. Guess what. It still does not start sometimes, no lights, no nothing. It sounds to me like a relay/solenoid is kicking out, or maybe the starter is going out. Let it sit a few minutes and it starts up fine.